Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie experience with Dream Machine and Dreamwear mask
Newbie experience with Dream Machine and Dreamwear mask
I've found this forum so helpful as I'm researching Sleep Apnea!

I had my sleep study a month ago, I was diagnosed with moderate apnea and finally got my Cpap machine last Tuesday. I have the Newest Dream Machine Auto Cpap with the Humidifier.
I tried 4 or 5 different masks and for me there was no contest, I got the Dreamwear mask, small mask and small mouthpiece. It was so much more comfortable than the P-10 and the other masks I tried.
I was pretty nervous that I wouldn't be able to tolerate Cpap therapy, I'm a very light sleeper. I've been very surprised how well I'm doing.
I have used the Cpap every night since I got it, sleeping 7-8 hours a night. No mask leakage at all. My AHI went from 34 before to as low as 7, averaging about 10. Everyone I talk to on Cpap seems pretty focused on getting the AHI down. I know it's important but it's way better than it was and I'm still getting used to the machine, it's only been 5 nightsSmile
I've been reading here about people having trouble with air blowing and noise with the Dreamwear mask. I had a bit of trouble for the first couple of hours, but I played around with adjustments and I am not having any problems now.
I actually find that my mask works best when it is just comfortably fitted to my face, not at all tight. When I tightened it I could hear the air and I did feel the air blowing on my eyes. I wear a lightweight moisturizer on my face at night (Cerave) and I think it actually helps seal the mask. I am a light sleeper so I have always woken up slightly when I turn over in bed. If I turn on my side and notice some air blowing I just adjust my mask slightly and go back to sleep.
I'm truly amazed at how well I am doing. I'm a bit of a geek so I immediately downloaded the Encore Pro software and have been interested in seeing all the info. I understand some of it (I'm an Ex RN) looking forward to being able to use the Sleepyhead software.

Thanks to everyone on the Forum, it's great!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie experience with Dream Machine and Dreamwear mask
Welcome to Apnea Board, chrysos

Glad to hear you are adjusting so well. Finding the right mask and fit is half the battle, and you seem to have found one that works for you.

It won't be long before the Sleepyhead software is available for the DreamStation, then you will be able to take a closer look at your AHI numbers. If and when you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, you can order the Clinicians manual for your machine here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Good luck Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie experience with Dream Machine and Dreamwear mask
Hi chrysos,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear how well you are doing with CPAP therapy.
Keep up the good work, hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 442 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 238 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 269 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 933 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.