Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie, first night and sore nasal bridge
Newbie, first night and sore nasal bridge
I was finally able to get my APAP equipment yesterday and start treatment. YEah, I guess.

Anyway, I ended up getting the ResMed FFM Mirage Quattro. I tried on nasal pillows, nasal mask and it felt like I had to open my mouth when breathing with them.

I know that I was able to sleep for 8 hours with the mask last night and I think my AHI was 4.9 with mask leakage of 6. I think these are the right numbers I will need to double check when I get home.

How often do you download your SD card onto Sleepyhead? Is it daily or weekly?

I mentioned that I have a sore nasal bridge. I'm not sure if it is because I made the head straps too tight. Any advice on what to do for a sore nose? Can I put something on it? I have seen nasal pads that you can buy, but what to try anything else before that. I know it was the first night, so it will be a trial and error period.

Any suggestions for sore nose would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the advice!

Inky1
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie, first night and sore nasal bridge
(02-12-2016, 09:08 AM)Inky1 Wrote: I was finally able to get my APAP equipment yesterday and start treatment. YEah, I guess.

Anyway, I ended up getting the ResMed FFM Mirage Quattro. I tried on nasal pillows, nasal mask and it felt like I had to open my mouth when breathing with them.

I know that I was able to sleep for 8 hours with the mask last night and I think my AHI was 4.9 with mask leakage of 6. I think these are the right numbers I will need to double check when I get home.

How often do you download your SD card onto Sleepyhead? Is it daily or weekly?

I mentioned that I have a sore nasal bridge. I'm not sure if it is because I made the head straps too tight. Any advice on what to do for a sore nose? Can I put something on it? I have seen nasal pads that you can buy, but what to try anything else before that. I know it was the first night, so it will be a trial and error period.

Any suggestions for sore nose would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the advice!

Inky1

I also had a sore nasal bridge when I started and it did progress to an open sore before I found the solution.

What you need is am HPA lanolin cream which you apply to your nose bridge right before you put on your mask. It doesn't not take much, just a very little bit is enough.

The second thing you should do is adjust the straps so that you have a fit that doesn't leak but is absolutely no tighter. Usually, this is looser than most people think they need.

With respect to downloading into Sleephead, that is your choice: I like to look at it everyday but I am also a geek. Make sure you have the write protect set on the SD card when you insert it into your computer. Unset it when you put it back into your CPAP.

If you get the message that you need to format it, immediately remove it from your computer. DO NOT FORMAT THE SD CARD OR YOU WILL LOSE THE DATA. You can try it again. In my case, after getting the message I will use a pencil eraser to o clean the contacts on the card and that fixes the format problem.

Sleep well!

Sleep-well

Walt

Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
So the lanolin cream will that work at the top of my nose where the mask sits? Does it just sooth the pain/soreness?

I guess this would be found in child/birthing care area in a store? Yeah, using something for babies. So ironic.

Inky1
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 12:23 PM)Inky1 Wrote: So the lanolin cream will that work at the top of my nose where the mask sits? Does it just sooth the pain/soreness?

I guess this would be found in child/birthing care area in a store? Yeah, using something for babies. So ironic.

Inky1

Yes, you need only where the mask sits on your nose. I did find it in the drug store in the baby area. You need to look close at the ingredients to get the right stuff. The wrong stuff did not work for me.

Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
When you say look at the ingredients, what should I be looking for specifically? If it says HPA Lanolin cream on the front would that be enough?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Inky1,
HPA lanolin is good because it doesn’t have any petroleum in it.
The mask manufacturers recommend that you use things that don’t have petroleum because it can break down the silicon in the mask cushions.
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish6hundred for the advice and what to look for. I really like the mask, it leaks/farts some but I can live with that and adjust it. It's just the soreness that is bothering me.

How do you like your ResMed Airfit F10 FFM? I like the Quattro and the support with the headbar. I like the dial as well so you can adjust the pressure and fit as necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the mirage quatro and it made my bridge very sore. I have a high bridge. I am now using the AirFit f10 which seems to work well. I am between a small and medium and am using a small. The problem is that it wants to slide down the bridge at times which makes it sore. When that happens I use the gecko sold by Resmed on the bridge of my nose. I am thinking about getting the medium size to change-off with. But try the gecko. It takes some getting used to but does work.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife got ab ipen sore in three nights using a mirage quatro.
She healed it while stayinf on the machine everynite by using a simplus ffm.
Get a simplus
Post Reply Post Reply
My Cpap therapist recommends Paw Paw Ointment or gel as it's called here in Australia for all abrasions be it nasal bridge or inside or around the nostrils when using pillow masks, works absolutely brilliantly, can also be used nightly to stop the abraded skin ever eventuating if it becomes an ongoing problem. I think in most other countries it's referred to as Papaya Ointment being manufactured from the Papaya fruit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 129 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.