Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie, first several hours of data help
Newbie, first several hours of data help
Hey folks, first off, thanks to everyone here who helps others with this condition so damn helpful!.   

I've just started using a Phillips System One 60 for sleep apnea, and am getting used to the mask.  Last night I recorded about 4-5 hours of data and would love it if someone could look it over and offer any help interpreting the results as well as possibly any advice on pressure.   I woke up around 4 with leakage on the mask, so I'm guessing i need to tighten it some more (it was sealed when I went to bed).

I've attached my results from last night, would love some advice/help.

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie, first several hours of data help
Welcome to Apneaboard Jayc.  Your first night looks pretty decent with some residual obstructive apnea and hypopnea with your machine set to a range of 8-11.  It's better than it looks, and I suggest you turn off the VS2 events for now.  That can be done at the lower-left corner of the chart or in File/Preferences/Events, and uncheck VS2.  

You experienced obstruction through the night as shown by the snores, the fact pressure stayed near the top of your set range, and the number of obstructive apnea.  In fact, your median pressure was equal to your maximum setting of 15 cm, so you are going to need higher pressure.  There may also be some obstruction being caused by your sleep position.  If your head and neck are poorly aligned we tend to see persistent obstruction and clusters of OA.  This can often be reduced through use of a different pillow or soft cervical collar.

From what we see here, you will heed higher pressure, so a setting range of 11-20 may be needed to see where the obstructive events and vibratory snores (VS) are reduced. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4287]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much, I'll try a different pressure setting tonight. Pillow i'm using a memory foam pill (good one). I'll see what pressure does, and then look at pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with trying the pressure first. I don't think it's positional from what I can see. But it's only one chart so it's hard to tell.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hard to say if your machine is topping out at 15 or it requires mpre pressure I think maybe the latter, in any case, it will do no harm to open up the high end a bit to see if things improve.
It takes a while to get used to the machine, so things will settle a bit, but give it the option to go higher in pressure.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jayc2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you get adjusted to your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks folks for the advice thus far, new recording from last night, slept terribly as the mask leaked and had a heck of a time trying to get it to stop.  Are these respironics masks always this difficult?
Post Reply Post Reply
Impressive reduction in snoring, but no improvement in OA or CA events. I think this pressure range is what you're going to need on auto CPAP, and the next step is to get the mask working for you. There is a lot of good information in the Mask Primer (last link in my signature) writted by Bonjour. Take a look there for tips. I'm not personally familiar with any full-face mask, and don't see many ComfortGel Blue masks on the forum. Statistically, your leak rate was a bit lower last night than the first, although both nights had a median excess leak of 8 L/min.

Your pressure needs are high enough, that if you don't get some better results and comfort in a month or so, a bilevel may be justified. BiPAP or VPAP machines offer much greater comfort at higher pressures due to the lower exhale pressures, and they are capable of producing higher (25 cm) pressure. It's way too early to judge if you should go this way, but be aware you are in the neighborhood of pressure that usually does better with bilevel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, switched to my nuance mask last night, seems to be better.  Not sure how accurate ahi tracking is though as i'm quite sure I was awake at 5, also sleepyhead says 30 minutes of sleep which isn't right I know I slept better than that
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not the amount of sleep your reading there. It's the time you started the machine. I agree with Sleeprider about the need for a Bipap. But first it may be worth trying a soft cervical as Sleeprider mentioned. It's a lot cheaper if it works. Only costs around 10 to 15 dollars.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 392 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.