Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie first time post [pressure questions]
Newbie first time post [pressure questions]
Hello everyone

Wondering if I could get some feedback regarding an issue I experienced last night on my Cpap machine.  This is my first week using it BTW...

The issue was that after about 2 hours of sleep I woke up to more pressure coming in from the machine, i figured no big deal i will just turn it off and back on again to reset the pressure settings (that is what my DME said to do). But after doing that, just a few minutes later i felt the pressure just ramp up pretty quick and I felt i just could not exhale anymore as there was too much pressure.  The night before i was just fine and had the mask on all night.  What is puzzling to me is that yesterday I had no AHI events and the day before I did although minor.  Why would my machine be acting this way?  Attaching sleepyhead screen shots.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie first time post
You have flow limitations which are triggering the pressure increases. Sleep position can cause different results from night to night. You might want to increase your minimum pressure to 6cm and increase your EPR to 3cm. That should help a little with the flow limitations and allow you to breath easier.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely try that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with WW above, don't be surprised if a higher min pressure is recommended, but no need to dive in that quickly.

Your numbers are awesome, but Flow Limits indicate a Hypopnea trying to form so your machine is increasing pressure to head it off.  Pressure Support (Bi-level) is used to treat Hypopneas and we are using your Pressure plus EPR to mimic this.

Quote:just a few minutes later i felt the pressure just ramp up pretty quick and I felt i just could not exhale anymore as there was too much pressure.  The night before i was just fine and had the mask on all night. 

Just so you realize just how high a pressure you are having issues with I'm going to ask you to do an experiment.

Get a tall glass of water, 8+ inches would be great, add a straw that will go to the bottom.
Now blow through the straw.

You just exhaled against the highest pressure your CPAP can generate, 20 cmH2O.  I'm certain that you had no problem.  I'm also certain that you had issues with the unfamiliar sensation of having a constant pressure (yes it is variable)
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it but last night I also tried a new CPAP memory foam pillow for the first time ( i just used a regular pillow before) could this maybe have caused it? I also notice during the night mask leaks under my nose tend to form and i have to push up the mask to stop them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but since my "numbers" are great...AHI basically almost nill...does that mean i dont need a cpap machine or is the machine actually doing that great of a job of preventing them? Mind you when i did my in home sleep study i weighed about 10-12 more pounds. I've lost about 25lbs since late august. During my study I was told I had an AHI of about 17.5
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is doing it's job. Even with the machine your getting flow limitations. Without the machine those flow limitations would become apnea events.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
17.5 is moderate sleep apnea. what we hear is that weight loss may improve our lot but rarely 'cures' it. let's say you cut your 17.5 ahi in half - you'd still have mild sleep apnea. you can do another sleep study, take a few nights off to see how you feel or run your machine at it's lowest setting of 4cm to record what happens, knowing that the results might be skewed because even 4cm could be providing some benefit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2018, 03:50 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: The machine is doing it's job. Even with the machine your getting flow limitations. Without the machine those flow limitations would become apnea events.

Makes sense, thank you.

(09-28-2018, 03:54 PM)sheepless Wrote: 17.5 is moderate sleep apnea.  what we hear is that weight loss may improve our lot but rarely 'cures' it.  let's say you cut your 17.5 ahi in half - you'd still have mild sleep apnea.  you can do another sleep study, take a few nights off to see how you feel or run your machine at it's lowest setting of 4cm to record what happens, knowing that the results might be skewed because even 4cm could be providing some benefit.

I'll stick with using the machine and see what my doctor says in 1 month.
Post Reply Post Reply
While you have VERY good numbers your Flow Limits do present a concern.  Please post your charts so we can see how you are handling everything, keep it in this thread so we have a history.  My immediate concern is how you feel, that you were having issues with the pressure.  Continue to report how you feel and if the pressure continues to bother you and how it bothers you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 115 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 201 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,818 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.