Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie getting equipment tomorrow and some questions
Newbie getting equipment tomorrow and some questions
I have asked previously about the comparisons between the Aircurve V10 and the Dreamstation Bipap pro. Most advice was to try both of them and choose the most comfortable machine.  My DME will not let me trail the machines and have to make a choice while in their retail location.  I was hoping that someone that has experience with both machines could give me the pros and cons.  Also, I am meeting the doctor tomorrow to pick up my prescription for the equipment.  I have had advice on this forum that I need to ask the doctor to spell out the type of machine, fully data recording, etc.  Is there anything else that I need to make sure that he adds to the prescription?  Is there any advice or method with dealing with the DME to simplify or advance the chances of a successful start to treatment?  Any advice that you guys have would be most welcomed.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that things will go well.  Oh, one other question, can anyone comment on the PR Nuance Mask vs. a traditional FFM?

I have attached my sleep study report in case that helps!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie getting equipment tomorrow and some questions
Just to clarify, are you referring to the aircurve 10 vauto or S?  The BiPap pro is not an auto machine, but the vauto is.  I have not tried the dreamstation BiPap, but I find the vAuto incredibly comfortable.  It matches perfectly with my breath, and I sleep much longer than I did on APAP.   It's virtually silent, and never wakes my wife up (thank god).  It has provided me with generally excellent therapy (with exception to a problem that has recently started occurring) and I probably would stick with Resmed again.

I would definitely go for an auto machine if you can.   Auto's will provide you with effective therapy despite changing needs day-by-day.  You can always set the auto devices to straight BiPap if you don't want to use the auto feature, but better to have it.  

Probably the biggest differences are the algorithm and variable pressure support on the respironics. I don't know the value of variable pressure support enough to speak to it but I'm sure others will.  

Either way you'll get good therapy if your settings are correct.  I can't imagine you can really go wrong with Resmed or respironics.
Post Reply Post Reply
Silversnore, I think both machines produce roughly the same results and will serve you well. The suggestion I would make is to get Auto BiPAP or Auto Bilevel on your prescription. This makes adapting to the therapy much easier, and lets the machine adjust to any changes that occur, just like the difference between fixed CPAP and auto CPAP. We don't know what your prescription is, but let's say it is for bilevel at 12/8. That is a pressure support of 4. Using an auto bipap (respironics), we could allow a minimum EPAP of 7 and Maximum IPAP of 14 with a pressure support of 2-5 and the machine will self-adjust in that range to produce even better results than fixed BPAP. The algorithm will increase EPAP to resolve obstruction, pressure support for hypopnea, an IPAP for ventilation. It's really genius and not much more expensive that BPAP-S or Pro.

Try to get the auto bilevel machine in either flavor. It's much easier to dial in, but both will produce decent results. The biggest difference is that Philips Respironics auto allows a variable PS allowing EPAP and IPAP to move independently, while Resmed machines use a fixed PS and the EPAP and IPAP move together.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider and COmbe!

Sorry for the confusion on the PR machine, I do intend to get an auto machine.  I had attached my sleep study and it indicates pressures of 15/11 for the machine to be set.  It did seem that I had mixed AHI vaules from 0 to 24 over the differnt pressures that I was subjected to.  I don't really understand why though.  I am somewhat aware of what a bipap does with a certain pressure for inhalation and a different pressure for exhalation, I am not quite sure what pressure support is though?  Based on my sleep study are there any recommendations that I should discuss tomorrow with the Dr.?  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Silversnore.  I'm still new at this, so there will probably be a better explanation, but It seems they were able to resolve the OSA at relatively low pressures but your arousals/RDI were too frequent to achieve meaningful sleep.  

They were able to resolve the RDI by placing you on a BiPap, and were satisfied with the results.  

I'll leave the recommendations to others, but I would definitely make sure the script says "BiPap auto or vpap auto".   BiPap auto being respironics, and vpap auto being Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure support (PS) is the mathematical difference between IPAP and EPAP. In your case 15-11=4. You are using a PS of 4. Your prescription is written 15/11 over PS 4. If you had auto BPAP it could be something like 17/9.0 over PS 4.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys,

If I can persuade the Dr. to have the machine programed in auto mode, would the 17/9 with a PS of 4 be a recommendation to start my therapy?

Thanks guys,

If I can persuade the Dr. to have the machine programed in auto mode, would the 17/9 with a PS of 4 be a recommendation to start my therapy?

Post Reply Post Reply
That would work if the doctor is willing to dispense with an auto prescription. It brackets your fixed pressure and just allows pressure to rise and fall a bit during the night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys, I feel better prepared now for my meeting with the Dr.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi silversnore,
Good luck to you at your appointment. I look forward to hearing what machine you got.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 11 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 478 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.