Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie has question about leaks
Newbie has question about leaks
[attachment=7632] Hi All

I hope this is the right place to post Sleepyhead screenshots!!

I am a physician, just on day 4 of my CPAP trying to learn all about this fascinating topic!

I am trying to interpret my data.  I have read a lot of the great tutorials on here!  Very detailed.

I am using Phillips Nasal Pillows and I am still unsure how to interpret the leak rate.  I realize that it says Large Leaks 0% but I want to make sure that the program is reading my machine.  I see leaks go up (and I know that some leaking is normal...just want to make sure this is "good enough"

I will attach my screenshot.  Any help would be appreciated!!!

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie has question about leaks
You appear to have leaks that are called mouth leaks. The leaks aren't bad enough to affect your therapy though.

Check the link below called Beginner's guide to sleepyhead and that will explain all the charts and data for you.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
And for my education, the assumption of mouth leak is because of the pattern of the leak graph with the variableness and the plateaus?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that you would hope not to see a correlation between, or a coincidence between, what are apparently large leaks and records of OA, Hypopnea, and CA.  As leaks develop, you'd like to think, and to see, that the machine compensates and maintains your flow rate, and that there are no apparently related events of the unwanted kind; that is, that they appear somewhat more randomly at times, and not at intervals.  Otherwise you would see the larger leaks, and reports of same, and indications of commensurate restrictions.  

What I mean is that, ideally, your device does compensate for the various types of leaks we all experience now and then, probably nightly, and that when you do have apnea events/hypopneas they aren't the results of leaks.  They arise randomly, or positionally, and can be controlled in a way that leaks tend not to be fully controlled.  

In that respect, I don't see a problem or a concern in your chart.  Perhaps another person would feel differently, and will offer an opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2018, 02:23 PM)tarpshack Wrote: And for my education, the assumption of mouth leak is because of the pattern of the leak graph with the variableness and the plateaus?

The person mentions the use of nasal pillows, but does not report that he uses a collar or tape to control mouth leaks.  Nasal pillows and masks often go along with mouth leaks....not always, some can control their lips and tongue position, but many, such as myself, have to use other methods to control mouth leaking when we are fast asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have said it appears to be mouth leaks. I can't know for sure though. I corrected the earlier post.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
one way to tell, tarpshack & mike , if you narrow the view of your flowrate waveform in sleepyhead to a 2 minute window, you might see something like the 2nd to last example below: "exiratory mouth breathing".

[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 51 9 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 122 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 133 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 87 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 4 194 03-09-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.