Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie here. First night was rough.
RE: Newbie here. First night was rough.
(05-10-2013, 02:26 PM)albertsmarowsky Wrote: Just found that the S9 Elite does have EPR, but not sure about messing with it. Is this something the doc would see being changed, and if so, do they give a hard time with people messing with the settings?
All S9 series machines have EPR feature
What is EPR? ... http://www.resmed.info/us/assets/html/de...r/epr.html

EPR is a comfort feature, some use it and some don,t
I don,t, find it disturbing and interfere with my breathing rhythm
Some people find have some effect on AHI. One need to experiment to find what level works best for them ... everyone is different

EPR level shows on ResScan statistics page so the doctor would find out if EPR on his mind and smart enough to know where to look
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2013, 08:30 AM)albertsmarowsky Wrote: Thank you all for the info. As far as the filters, they are washable, and after taking another look at the manual, they only need to be replaced every 6 months. As far as the gassy/bloated feeling, it could be from when my ears were feeling blocked (like a sudden altitude change) and to get rid of that initial feeling I would either take a big deep breath or swallow.
S9 filters are not washable or re-useable. (some wash and re-use)
The 6 months is only a guide, the filter should be checked regularly and replaced more often if dirty
Dirty filter can affect performance of the machine

Bloating feeling is called "aerophgia", a search would come up with few relating threads

Ramp might help as the machine start at lower pressure and slowly builds up to required treatment pressure
Some find EPR helps too and more comfortable to breath out at lower pressure

If symptoms don,t improve, see your sleep doc to discuss having pressure reduced by few centimeters for a period of few weeks ... and when symptoms improves and getting used to pressure ... have pressure back to prescribed pressure

A chinstrap helps keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks
Tweak with humidifier setting, turn down if air feel warm and turn up if air feel cold .. till you find what works best for you ... everyone is different
Hose insulating cover helps in case of rainout and ClimateLine set on auto mode ... you set temp to preference and protects against rainout

H5i guide: http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

ClimateLine instructions: http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Tips for new CPAP users: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Post Reply Post Reply
Just looked, and you are right. Still good to know it doesn't have to be monthly. Going to try using only one pillow and see if my head not being elevated helps. Been reading up on aerophgia, hoping it'll get better. I've got the chinstrap, which is almost more frustrating to get used to than the mask. Going to leave the settings as is for a week or so (may try the EPR) and see how things go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2013, 06:13 PM)albertsmarowsky Wrote: Going to leave the settings as is for a week or so (may try the EPR) and see how things go.

Hi albertsmarowsky, welcome to the forum!

If you try EPR (most people like it) use the software to keep an eye on your Central Apnea Index (CAI, average number of central apneas per hour), Obstructive Apnea Index (OAI, average number of obstructive apneas per hour), Hypopnea Index (HI, average per hour) and Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI, average number per hour of all apneas and hypopneas, combined).

I think most people do better when using EPR, and find it more comfortable. On a small percentage of the people, although they also find it more comfortable, it causes their CAI to increase a lot.

I am one of the ones who liked the comfort of using EPR but I am susceptible to central apneas and it made my CAI much worse.

Also, on some people who use fixed (constant) pressure machines like yours, I think EPR can make their OAI or Hypopnea Index worse, so keep an eye out for that as well. But I think most doctors consider it only a comfort feature and safe for their patients to fiddle with, like the Ramp feature.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, first week under my belt, and so far, I've averaged about 4 hours or so a night with the machine. Monday I switched from the Wisp with the fabric frame to the one with the plastic/silicone frame, and it's a lot better. I've got another mask that's a little different (I believe it's the Philips Respironics TrueBlue Nasal Mask, but unless I lay in one position, there are constant leaks (not sure if it's a matter of the straps being too tight or not tight enough). That is the most comfortable of the three, but the leaks are a big reason I'm not sure I should use it. Anyone else ever use this mask, and if so, any tips to reduce leaks?

I did have two nights this week under the 4 hours, but I'm definitely gonna be watching more carefully and try to get that number up to normal.

Here are my stats for the last 7 days:

AHI: 2.72
Hours Per Night: 4:18
Pressure: 14
Average Leaks: 5.74
95% Leaks: 37.20

AHI Per Day:

(Using Wisp Fabric Mask)
5/9: 1.4 (used for 4:59 hours)
5/10: 4.77 (used for 5:02 hours)
5/11: .84 (used for 4:44 hours)

(Using Wisp Silicone Mask or TrueBlue Mask)
5/12: 1.11 (used for 4:30 hours)
5/13: 6.74 (used for 2:22 hours)
5/14: 3.89 (used for 3:05 hours)
5/15: 2.58 (used for 5:25 hours)

Leaks Per Day (Med/95%/Max):

5/9: 3.6/131.64/140.32
5/10: 6/28.8/44.4
5/11: 4.8/36/44.4
5/12: 4.8/31.2/40.74
5/13: 6/12/26.18
5/14: 10.8/40.8/50.4
5/15: 14.98/37.2/42

Not sure how average this is for first starting out, any insight would be amazing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2013, 09:53 PM)albertsmarowsky Wrote: Not sure how average this is for first starting out, any insight would be amazing.

Not bad for just starting out. You need to work on increasing the number of hours every night, but you already knew that. I'd also work on the leaks. The Wisp is a great mask, but it can be a bit leaky until you get it tweaked just right. The common wisdom that you will hear is "looser is better," but in my case I couldn't get the leaks down until I tightened it up pretty snug. I've also noticed that the top strap is supposed to go over the top of the head but it will hang too far back unless I make sure it is on top.

Don't be afraid to experiment with the mask. And for heavens sake, don't take my suggestions as gospel. What works for me may be absolutely wrong for you. But whatever you do, keep plugging away. It takes most people a long time to get this therapy working right. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I've still been struggling with the hours per night, I usually go to bed around 11-midnight and try to sleep until at least 8-9 am, but when at my dad's, I'm usually up at 4-5 am. The leaks I think are mainly happening if I lay too far on my side, which I wake up from and adjust appropriately. I've got the straps at a good place, and the top one I just have to double check with my chin strap moving it. Thanks everyone for all the help, I'm looking forward to a hopefully soon amazing night of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, after going to my doctor on Monday, found out that I've been doing great with my machine. I'm averaging an AHI less than 1, so that's nice. Plus I've been doing great with my compliance, so it looks like I've found the best thing for me
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 477 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 293 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.