Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie here. Question about chinstrap and sleepyhead
Newbie here. Question about chinstrap and sleepyhead
I've been using my CPAP for all of a week and I've been waking up in the morning with a sorethroat so I downloaded my data with sleepyhead and see that I'm having a bunch of clear airway events especially near 3am(AHI for the night is 6.8 but it peaks at 10-12 during these times). I've read that these may be central events but I don't think I had many central events during my sleep study (35 AHI mostly obstructive hypneas). Is it possible that these are times when I breath through my mouth (my leak rate stays really low through the whole night (9 or 10 leaks btwn 5-10 l/min?) If I'm opening my mouth, what kind of chinstrap seems to be the best (I'm at my out of pocket max and my Doc seems willing to prescribe whatever I ask for so cost isn't an issue). I'm feeling better sleepwise but this sore throat is killing me. Thanks for your help. I've been trolling on this site for a month or so and it helped me get my ResMed S9 Autoset since the DME wanted to give me an Escape but the posters here set me straight on how to get what I want/need.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie here. Question about chinstrap and sleepyhead
Hi Laser ... I don,t use SleepyHead
Try Biotene mouthwash for the dry throat
Chinstrap can helps keep mouth closed and prevent mouth breathing
A bit more humidity might help and nasal washes too
I use chinstrap and set the climate line on auto, no rainout on auto
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
Hi Laser!

The 3 am cluster effect:
I know it well. Always between 2:30 am and 4 am.
I was able to beat that by wearing a small back pack with 3 tubes of tennis balls packed in it. (still in the tubes)
Works like a charm.
I was rolling over on my back and getting in all kinds of trouble that way.

Leaks:
#1.
You can try the chin strap. I did but it was no help for me because it kept ending up on the floor.
Be advised that you might still leak if pressure gets past your lips.

#2. start trying full face masks. With a little work you can get them to seal up tight. (unless your face is really non-standard size / shape)

You might still get a dry mouth but then you can turn up the humidity.

Good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Laser...Don/t know your location, but if you are still up north where its still cold or you are "down under" where it might start getting cold, I am more inclined to think..."humidity".. would cause dryness and sore throat symtems more then leaking. Just an increase in the volumn of air that is now going down your airway is going to take some time to toughen the membranes. Then again, a lot of my centrals seem to come shortly after I have gotten up to go to the bathroom, say about 2- 4am. Maybe I am also, going back to bed and laying on my back causing them..
I think I would raise the heat a notch or two and see if that helps. Also, just getting started on the CPAP may just take some more adjusting to it. Hope it goes away soon.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Laser,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There are several chinstraps out there. When I use one, I use the Puresom Rubie, (I think that's how you spell that, Ha-Ha,) chinstrap. there are fixed models and adjustable models of that particular brand.
How high do you have your humidity set?
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Laser, the issue with the different types of chin straps is their ability to slide off versus their comfort. You can get one that has one simple strap that may slip off your head, or you can get a more elaborate one that has several straps going over your head and will never slip off. I've tried them both and can use either. I currently use the simpler single strap under my mask, and the mask straps help hold it in place.

As to those central events, they are normal for beginners. They will fade away in a week or two. If they don't, or if you're concerned, discuss the issue with your doctor. He may recommend a slightly lower pressure to reduce them, but that can be a risky move because it may increase your obstructive apnea index.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help. I live in the desert so humidity is always an issue. I have mine set at 4. I can try bumping it up a notch or two. Is it worth getting the climatline hose for the S9? If so, what do I need to tell the Doc so that he will prescribe it (so the insurance will cover it).
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2013, 10:35 PM)Laser Wrote: Is it worth getting the climatline hose for the S9? If so, what do I need to tell the Doc so that he will prescribe it (so the insurance will cover it).
Climate control in auto mode, allows you to select temp to preference and automatically adjust humidity level to maintain constant 80% relative humidity and protect against rainout. So you can set temp as high as you prefer with no rainout

Tell the doc you,re getting dry throat and the climate line (heated hose) designed to prevent dryness of the nose and mouth

I pay $49 for climate line from Supplier #10 delivered to my home .... otherwise I would have to pay $99 in Australia

Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the graphs and see how long and how complete those centrals are.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2013, 06:10 PM)Laser Wrote: I'm having a bunch of clear airway events especially near 3am(AHI for the night is 6.8 but it peaks at 10-12 during these times). I've read that these may be central events but I don't think I had many central events during my sleep study (35 AHI mostly obstructive hypneas). Is it possible that these are times when I breath through my mouth (my leak rate stays really low through the whole night (9 or 10 leaks btwn 5-10 l/min?)

Hi Laser, welcome to the forum!

If your leaks stay low during these clear airway events, then I think it is highly unlikely that you are mouth breathing during these times.

Further, mouth breathing tends to cause loss of airway pressure and increases likelihood of obstructive events, not clear airway events.

Most likely these are true central apneas. But as Sleepster mentioned, often centrals gradually disappear over the first few months as your body adapts to treatment. If the events are short (less than 30 seconds), then I think they are probably not too concerning, but of course it would be good to bring ResScan reports to your doctor during your follow-ups, showing these events and how long they are lasting.

If the central apneas are lasting longer than 30 seconds then I would let my doctor know this right away and I would at least get a recording Pulse Oximeter to verify my oxygen saturation is staying above 89 during these times. In the US these are usually not prescription items, so I think Pulse-Oximeters are usually not reimbursable by medical insurance.

Supplier 19 in the Supplier List (link is at top of most forum pages) has a good reputation for supplying fairly economical recording Pulse-Oximeters. The wrist-worn ones with separate sensor cup are more expensive but are less uncomfortable to wear all night, especially if using many nights in a row, as you may want to do from time to time.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 384 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.