Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie here and my story
Smile 
Newbie here and my story
Hello all,

New to the forums and have been lurking and reading for a little bit.

Some background on me: I was diagnosed with OSA back in July 2010 after a sleep study. Received what I think was the ResMed S9 CPAP and started off fine using it and felt comfortable (sleeping much better and even lost a good amount of weight) but after 6 months, I started to feel uncomfortable with the air blowing while suffering from allergies at the time. Grew frustrated and gave up on the machine. I knew in my mind that I should have followed up with my doctor and figured out a solution but going through a painful and difficult divorce at the time, I had my mind on other things.

Forward to 2016, sleep of course had gotten worst over the years; would fall asleep almost anywhere and anytime and now I ask myself how I was able to function at work!! If I wasn't working, I wanted to stay at home and just try to sleep. Quality of life was poor.

At the end of April, I became really sick; fever that started at 101F and kept getting higher so my primary sent me to the ER and was admitted with adenovirus/severe pneumonia. I ended up staying in the hospital for 2 weeks.

Told the doctors that I was diagnosed back in 2010 with OSA but didn't tolerate the CPAP and in the ER, they saw my pulse ox drop to 86% when I was asleep so they put me on a BiPAP during my hospital stay and I was worried that I would hate it.

After many tests and being on IV antibiotics for a few days continuously, doctors saw my right lung wasn't clearing up as quickly and they wanted to do a bronchoscopy (procedure where I would be put to sleep so they can use a camera down my throat to check the lungs and get samples to find out if there was bacteria.)

Having OSA and oh, swollen tonsils, doctors were concerned I would stop breathing during the procedure and told me I'd have to get a breathing tube and would be in the ICU for recovery. That freaked me out enough with so many worrying thoughts but they wanted to wait a few days before going ahead to see if the swelling in my tonsils would go down.

Doctors saw the swelling go down and felt comfortable to do the procedure 3 days later plus they said I didn't need the breathing tube now which was the one thing I was really scared about for the procedure. Still worried about going under anesthesia but procedure went well and they were done in an hour.

I actually tolerated the BiPAP well and was able to get much needed rest at the hospital. The doctors wanted to make sure I went home with a machine so I stayed at the hospital an extra 2 days in order for my insurance to authorize it (insurance seems to move so slooooooow!) My experience at the hospital now enforces how much I need to manage my OSA and health so here I am on these forums trying to be proactive and informed.

My doctor had me do an overnight sleep study at the end of June for insurance purposes and to have a most recent report on my OSA. After reading this forum, I will be obtaining a copy of my sleep study results so I can better understand my OSA and treatment. He also ordered a breathing test which confirmed I also now have mild asthma.

Ok, I apologize for my wall of text here Lolabove but I hope by sharing my background that others who might feel like giving up or are getting frustrated realize that there will be road bumps on our journey but as we go on, our health will be so much better and our day to day lives will be improved.

In just 4 months, I feel so much better overall than I had been in recent years. I have more energy now so I have been going to the gym more often. Heck, I'm even able to stay awake through an entire movie and enjoy it. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie here and my story
Hi wullybully76!

Welcome

I hope your treatment continues to be positive.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Love stories like this. Welcome and thanx for sharing!
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board wullybully76!
Thanks for sharing your story. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome wullybully,

Were you one of the original member of Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs? Oops

Glad to hear you're on your way... there's a bunch of fine folks here that seemingly know their stuff (I'm still trying to figure out which knob's to twist and buttons to push to make things better for myself) and I'm sure they'll be more than willing to share their experience, observations and recommendations! (They don't seem to be shy here1 Dielaughing)
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wullybully76,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you are doing so well with your CPAP therapy, keep up the good work.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board forum wullybully76. Thanks for sharing your story.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!!!

I'm so glad to have found this website as it has already proven to be very useful in improving my therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 381 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,905 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.