Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie here, from Switzerland
RE: Newbie here, from Switzerland
do a search for sleepyhead software, get a SD card reader for your computer, make sure you slide the little write protect switch on the SD card to lock, and no one will know that you looked at your data. (slide that little switch back before returning the SD card to the machine).

It is very difficult to know what is or is not happening when you are asleep, the data will show you exactly what was going on.

Many of the settings are user accessible thru the menu systems and for a reason, so you can adjust them to help you be comfortable and continue to use the treatment. With CPAP this has to be a best guess/trial and error effort as the effect of any changes you make happen while you are asleep. Make small changes of one thing at a time and track how you feel in the morning, no one can know how you will feel at different humidity levels without just trying it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Veronica,

As far as reading your own data is concerned, in the U.S. we feel that patients need to take more responsibility for their own medical care. That does not necessarily mean taking it over entirely but learning enough to make some of their own decisions and ask good questions of the medical practitioners.

If you have a Windows or Mac computer and have a Resmed or Philips Respironics CPAP, you can use the Sleepyhead software. If you have a windows computer and a Resmed CPAP you can use the ReScan software. The Sleepyhead software is available at no charge via a link at the top of each page on this website. If you go to the Private files and Links forum you will find a link for the download of the ReScan software.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi VeeBeeMee!

Glad you're here!
Don't let those techs try to dazzle you with their BS!
They cannot take care of YOU as well as YOU can!
The more you can learn about the art of running CPAP the better you'll get it all tuned up and start sleeping better!

Well-done

Next step: Never give up, never surrender and never back down!

You'll do great!

=^.^=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
VBM it's great you got a humidifier. You can get the free Sleepyhead software here: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

This just extracts to a folder on your computer. You need to navigate to that folder and start the program by clicking on one of the EXE files (sleepyhead-openGL.exe or sleepyhead-brokenGL). It will read the data from your SD card, and we can take it from there if you have questions. Be sure to create a shortcut for the EXE file as it saves a lot of time.

Sleepyhead will report all events, snores and leaks as well as a lot of other information. Give it a try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 12:49 PM)VeeBeeMee Wrote: Thanks a lot. What isLungen Liga?There did not seem to be such an intermediary. I hadnt thought of a chin strap, but got a nose-mouth mask which i hope will help. i will see the tech again in a week and ask for a chin strap.

Thanks again!
Vee

http://www.liguepulmonaire.ch/fr/page-daccueil.html

The LungenLiga (or LiguePulmonaire) is the Swiss activist and advocacy group for people with breathing difficulties of any sort. They are state supported to a large extent, and part of a larger group of umbrella organisations to help those and advocate for those with physical or mental problems in this country - I consult regularly for several of them, most especially the Hard of Hearing organisation. The LL is the normal and only state sanctioned provider of CPAP and other respiratory services in la Suisse (although there are private DMEs as well, you would not be sent to them if you are tested through the hospital system, and most do not provide CPAP devices or are licensed to do so). Any hospital referral will send you there for your final device, and is the main DME provider recognised by Swiss insurance companies. I suggest you take your Rx and go there if you feel in any way short changed by CENAS - certainly it does no harm for you to go to them and get informed as to their services and how they would provide your devices.

CENAS is a private company and I cannot speak for either their expertise or their service, nor the quality of care or honesty - they are a private company and there is a profit motive which makes me, a state hospital based doctor, always a bit suspicious (but that is a personal prejudice of someone who has never worked in the private sector of medicine, and should not reflect on the actual work CENAS does - as I said, I do not know them, but I know a lot of doctors in private practice that I admire); however, I can certainly speak for the LL (or LP in French) and the quality of their help. If you are provided with a new machine there, you will get everything in the package, which, if you have a ResMed machine, includes the software CD - it is yours, you paid for it, they will not refuse it, unless you get a stupid person as an advisor (there always are a few, everywhere). However, Sleepyhead is freely available, and is excellent at interpreting your data in an easy to understand way.

Since CENAS is a private company, I find it unacceptable that they would provide you with an EOL device except as a test device to see if you can reach compliance. If that is the reason, then that is understandable, but once you have proven compliance, they should switch you to the latest, greatest of devices of your choice, ResMed or Respironics (there are only a few other manufacturers licensed for sale in Switzerland, and for the most part not worth going into here). The LL has another problem, given the financial constraints they are under, and may try to give you an S9, since they still have a large stock of them, but if you say no, they won't blink, just get you the device you want, A 10 or PRS 60, whichever you prefer. As for which, both are good - I use the PRS 60 and find it to be an excellent, quiet and easy to use device, especially if you want to control and understand your data. But the A10 is also an excellent device, also quiet, although I find the water tank design a bit fiddly and odd.

Either way, good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi VBM,

You mentioned elsewhere that you find it hard to breathe on the machine and I see your profile shows your pressure as 4. Are you sure? Most people find that pressure (4 is the lowest possible pressure setting) too uncomfortable, it feels like you can't get enough air. And most end up bumping up just a bit to help alleviate that feeling.

Not too many people are prescribed a pressure of 4. It would be a good idea to get the clinician manual and learn where all the settings are including the pressure settings.

And do get SleepyHead up and running. Some computers have built-in card reader slots so check before going out and buying an external one.Smile

You show two machines in your profile -- do you have both the Autoset and the Elite?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 12:49 AM)VeeBeeMee Wrote: 4. I have no idea if I have the right machine, mask. I didn't have choices. It was what I was given.
Hi VeeBeeMee and welcome aboard
S9 AutoSet is a great machine and provide comprehensive detailed sleep report on the LCD
Providing "Sleep Quality" set to "ON" (not Usage) from the clinical menu

The clinical manual available via email http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual scroll down to section three
Setup instructions and pictures http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Mask choice is the most essential for effective treatment
Keep trying different types and sizes until you find one that feel comfortable and have a good seal
Tips for new CPAP users and avoiding common problems
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

profile say "CPAP Pressure: 4"
Does 4 means that the machine set to blow 4 all night long or 4 is the default minimum pressure settings of the AutoSet

As for "how long" ...
No one knows, the main thing, keep learning and figuring what works or what don't works for you, everyone is different
Journey of thousand miles begins with a single step, best of luck

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 478 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.