Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie here w questions
Newbie here w questions
Hi all,
I had a sleep study w AHI of 44, O2 sat went as low as 77%.  Got started last Tues on apap.  AHI has been below 5 except for last nite it was 6.3, which is still not terrible. Obviously I am still getting used to this whole thing.  The avg pressure on the nites AHI was less than 5 was about 15 and last nite was 11. The machine says 100% mask fit each nite.  I had a difficult time sleeping last nite and was adjusting the mask quite a bit before falling asleep.  Why would the pressure have been lower last nite like that and the AHI higher? Can there still be leakage with the 100% number showing? Also I shut the machine off to go to the bathroom. Does that affect the numbers? I know the numbers vary night to night but just curious. Thank you in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie here w questions
Welcome to the forum.

The best way to answer your questions would be for you to download OSCAR which will enable you to view data down to the breath by breath detail when necessary.  
Pressure increases are caused by obstructive events (Obstructive Apnea, Hypopnea, Flow Limits),  and by FLEX changing the pressure on each and every breath for comfort.

See my signatures for details.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!
I've been really impressed with OSCAR since I installed it on my MAC computer.
I can see instantly how I've done.
When I don't understand, I post here and people tell me.

It's absolutely wonderful.

If I rely on my Doctor's care I'll learn sometime way out in the future why I felt so badly for so long.

OSCAR and this forum have taught me a lot, and my health is better for it.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Another thought---my example.

I use a nasal mask, a constant pressure machine, humidifier and heated hose.

I work hard to improve my sleep hygiene. Means I try to go to bed same time every night. I don't watch tv news just before I sleep. Heck there's enough stress without watching canned news.

Sometimes I mouth breath.

That affects my treatment. If my mouth is open, then the air from my cpap hose goes in my nose and out my mouth. So my sleep apnea events increase. My pressure is always the same. (I wish I had a machine like yours.)

So if you use OSCAR and post the results for a night here, people with more knowledge than I will tell right away if you mouthbreath, or if there are other factors that cause higher numbers.

This is one way I've benefited from participating here and using OSCAR

If I'm going to use all this stuff, I want to feel as good as I can when I wake in the morning!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.