Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie here... where to start?
RE: Newbie here... where to start?
On 9/11/14 your settings show Bi-Level and Bi-Flex and PS=16
This suggests you do not have a 560 machine but possibly a 760 machine. It will be important to know what you actually have so we can provide the best advice.
You can remove the water chamber (imprtant) and turn the machine upside down. You will find the model REF number REF560 or REF 760 or similar.
Please verify and let us know. I do agree that you should adjust your Min presure to 7 or 8 and your max pressure to about 16 or 17. After you get the clinicians manual you will find it very easy to make adjustments, but you should also keep your doctor in the loop.
If you post your most recent daily graph here we will be better able to advise you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 05:54 PM)Tez62 Wrote: harleygirl, I use the same mask and two things you can do:
1 Use maskliners, I bought some Remzzz’s mask liners a 6 pack and although they say to only use them once you can wash them and get about 5-6 uses. I then made a template of what I needed from their liners and went to a fabric shop and got 3 ft of 50% cotton/ 50 % poly fabric and cut out my own and they also last 5-6 uses, the next time I bought 3 ft of 50% cotton/ 50 % lycra fabric. That last me about 3 months and costs about ten dollars. No need to do any sewing.
2. Have the hose coming from above your head either over your bed head or you can buy or make a product called a hose lift, it pulls the mask up insrtead of down and saves you getting tangled in the middle of the night.

Give those things a go
Thank you! I found the liners on Amazon, and have made a quickie homemade one out of t-shirt material to try until they arrive. Seems like a wonderful product. Thanks
Kim

Post Reply Post Reply
IIRC, some people like the homemade t-shirt liners as well or better than purchased ones. (Depends on how many crappy old t-shirts you have and what you are paying for the purpose built version.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
harleygirl,

There is a very good instruction for fitting your mask properly on the MASK ARRAYED blog. Just Google it and when you get to it look for "Taming the Mirage Quattro". Very good instructions.

One other thing. Many of the people on this forum are a little rabid about not overtightening the mask. I use the Mirage Quattro and my CPAP pressure is very much on the high side. The important thing is to tighten the mask until it just quits leaking at your highest pressure. If your pressure range is wide open then your highest pressure is the same as my pressure. It may take tightening it down pretty tight. I get moisture in my mask sometimes but it does not cause any leaks.

If you want to try the "Taming the Mirage Quattro" method, I would advise that when you do you put your machine in CPAP mode, turn off any ramp, and turn off any EPR or Flex. Set the pressure to the highest pressure that the machine can use. For your wide open range that would be 20 cm/H2O. Then follow the "Taming" instructions. If you want more help with this, speak up. We are here to help.

Best Regards,

PatonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, I'm a firm believer in using the mask test mode that the ResMed machine provides for installing and adjusting my mask tension. I use that feature because it's my understanding that the test will be conducted at the highest pressure that I have set as my upper auto mode limit (16 cm). That's considerable less than the highest pressure that the machine is capable of delivering (20 cm) and allows for a much looser and more comfortable mask with just enough leak protection to do the job. This ResMed Quattro Mirage can be tough to tolerate on certain faces when higher pressures are being used. I'd hate to have to install it if I had to make it leak proof at 20 cm wc. I'm sure some people can do that without a problem but my face can't face anything over 17 cm when using the Quattro Mirage mask. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 07:33 PM)bwexler Wrote: On 9/11/14 your settings show Bi-Level and Bi-Flex and PS=16
This suggests you do not have a 560 machine but possibly a 760 machine. It will be important to know what you actually have so we can provide the best advice.
You can remove the water chamber (imprtant) and turn the machine upside down. You will find the model REF number REF560 or REF 760 or similar.
Please verify and let us know. I do agree that you should adjust your Min presure to 7 or 8 and your max pressure to about 16 or 17. After you get the clinicians manual you will find it very easy to make adjustments, but you should also keep your doctor in the loop.
If you post your most recent daily graph here we will be better able to advise you.

I looked on the bottom, and it is a 560 machine.
I feel like I'm missing something... you mention "adjust your Min pressure to 7 or 8 and your max pressure to about 16 or 17"... but I don't see that option anywhere. There is the wheel/dial that I can turn but it only goes from 1-5. In the Setup mode there is a choice of 3 A-Flex settings. And the humidifier within Setup mode goes from 0-5.

Is there some other way of adjusting the settings and pressure you speak of? Huhsign
Thank you
Kim

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2014, 12:50 AM)harleygirl Wrote: I looked on the bottom, and it is a 560 machine.
I feel like I'm missing something... you mention "adjust your Min pressure to 7 or 8 and your max pressure to about 16 or 17"... but I don't see that option anywhere. There is the wheel/dial that I can turn but it only goes from 1-5. In the Setup mode there is a choice of 3 A-Flex settings. And the humidifier within Setup mode goes from 0-5.

Is there some other way of adjusting the settings and pressure you speak of? Huhsign
Thank you
Kim

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah hah! I had no idea you could access those "secret settings". I went in and changed the minimum pressure to 6 and the max to 17. Guess I'll see how that goes. Last night I tried out my homemade mask liner that I made out of an old t-shirt. I think it helped some but I still woke up late in the night with the seal pretty wet and a major leak. But I'm wondering if it's because I had the humidity set on high. (Another thing I didn't know how to change) So tonight I'll try on low.
There is certainly a learning curve to this. But I'm determined to keep trying. I can't continue to feel like crap all the time. Thank you all for your help. Smile
Kim
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely a learning curve HG. But I like that you're taking responsibility for your own therapy. Good job that.

I see your settings were at the default of min 4 and max 20. I don't know why they think that's such a great idea. My feeling is 4 and 20 is only good if you're counting how many blackbirds to bake into a pie. So 6/17 is a good place to go for now. I prefer a much tighter range than that, but it's good to narrow the gap slowly as you are doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been sing a heated tube since I started pap. I have never had a moisture problem and I normally have humidity set at or near max.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 205 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 488 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.