Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie here with questions
Newbie here with questions
Hi, I am new to this site and fairly new to sleep apnea. I was told I have sleep apnea and after a sleep test was instructed to rent a cpap machine. I did this and after a couple of months was told I have central apnea and need a vpap machine. So I ended up getting a brand new resmed vpap to try for a month. I am confused, so very confused, I am being told I need this vpap machine and the cost is around 5000. I keep telling them I do not have a money tree.
Ok sorry for my confused ranting but I have this brand new machine here that is not working. I will call the therapist on Tuesday when they open again but until then I am hoping someone here has an idea to help with current problem. I turn on the machine when I go to bed and then I turn machine off a couple hours later when I use the washroom but when I try to start machine again it will not start.....I explained this to my hubby and he said it either works or doesn't that I must be doing something wrong so I showed him last night before he went to bed the darn machine started up just fine but then 2 hours later when I went to bed the stupid machine would not start up again? OMG I think I just figured out the problem I need to change the settings to auto start on...anyone know how to do this?
I am reading so much about apnea to help decide if I am getting conned into buying a machine that I do not need and can not afford. I am very tired today this is day 2 no machine and not much sleep.
Thank you in advance and my apologies if my post is too long.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie here with questions
Hi Grandma, I am so glad you found us! I have not used the Vpap machine so I really can't address the issues about not starting, but it sounds to me like something is not working right. You'll get others in a little while that can talk to this better than I.

On the issue of whether or not you need a $5,000 Vpap instead of the cpap you started with: That's a function of what did your sleep test show? It should have resulted in statistics that lead to the prescribing of the cpap. So now that you have been using the cpap, if the ahi numbers are still high enough to generate some concern, then that needs looked at. Lots of us get "Centrals" for various reasons, and we manage quite nicely without the Vpap machine.

The key is in the actual numbers you are experiencing. If you do not have those (ahi, leak rate, pressure settings) ask for them. If your therapist is reluctant to tell you, then that to me would be another red flag that might make me want to get a second opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. The machine you have should restart when you press the button. Auto start is not needed; although some people like it.
Your VPAP machine -- is it VPAP S or VPAP ST or VPAP Auto. Should say by the button. Since your pressure is Auto in your profile, I'd guess you have the S9 VPAP Auto which can run in 3 modes, CPAP, S mode Bilevel, and Auto Bilevel; but not ST mode.
The ST is the only model with a timed backup pressure cycle. S is for Spontaneous and T is for timed.
It is sometimes used for central apnea.
The gold standard for central apnea is an ASV machine which is an Auto Servo Ventilator.
They may be rushing to judgement on Central Apnea. PAP can induce central apneas. If not excessive and not too long in duration, they are of no greater consequence that obstructive apnea. Get your sleep report and study it. Also, consider pulling your data for review using one of the software programs.

You shouldn't have to pay $5k for a machine. Even out-of-pocket, you can get a machine for much less from suppliers on the list.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your responses, my AHI is at 18.3. I have seen 3 different therapists and of course gotten 3 different views, I would like it if all three said the same things but they do not and because this apnea is a new thing wrong with me I am trying to be cautious. I have a printout of last months usage of constant pressure cpap machine but do not have access to see any changes this new machine is making which makes the decision so veiled. I am standing in front of my machine and I think I have the info wrong, the therapist told me it was resmed sp vpap the machine says it's a Phillips respironics BiPAP auto SV Advanced, and on the humidifier side it says system one? There is only the one button on front to turn it on and two small ones for alarms and ramp. I was told to hold button down for about 4 seconds to turn on/off and that is it now when I try to turn it on it lights up to allow me to go into the 4 different modes, therapy, BiFlex, Info, Set up.
This machine looks like the s9 I had but that one when I put the mask on it automatically started and then I pushed button to shut off, it was so handy. I am sorry I sound so techno challenged but my head feels like it's in a cloud, not a good day I need some solid sleep. If anyone can help me set this thing to just turn on like my old one did I would be so grateful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2014, 01:48 PM)Grandmaroses Wrote: Thank you for your responses, my AHI is at 18.3. I have seen 3 different therapists and of course gotten 3 different views, I would like it if all three said the same things but they do not and because this apnea is a new thing wrong with me I am trying to be cautious. I have a printout of last months usage of constant pressure cpap machine but do not have access to see any changes this new machine is making which makes the decision so veiled. I am standing in front of my machine and I think I have the info wrong, the therapist told me it was resmed sp vpap the machine says it's a , andPhillips respironics BiPAP auto SV Advanced on the humidifier side it says system one? There is only the one button on front to turn it on and two small ones for alarms and ramp. I was told to hold button down for about 4 seconds to turn on/off and that is it now when I try to turn it on it lights up to allow me to go into the 4 different modes, therapy, BiFlex, Info, Set up.
This machine looks like the s9 I had but that one when I put the mask on it automatically started and then I pushed button to shut off, it was so handy. I am sorry I sound so techno challenged but my head feels like it's in a cloud, not a good day I need some solid sleep. If anyone can help me set this thing to just turn on like my old one did I would be so grateful.

OK, you have a Phillips respironics BiPAP auto SV Advanced. That's an ASV; and it is the gold standard for treating Central Apnea. I cannot help with the button issue; as I'm more familiar with the ResMed machines. I believe your machine is data capable via an SD card. The open-source freeware SleepyHead software should be able to read your machines data.

Any experts on the Phillips respironics BiPAP auto SV Advanced?

RobySue??

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Grandmaroses,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know this is all so confusing, but hang in there, someone who knows the ins & outs of your machine will be along to help you, soon.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2014, 01:48 PM)Grandmaroses Wrote: I was told to hold button down for about 4 seconds to turn on/off

you just tap the big dial to turn the machine on and off.

if it is set for auto start/auto stop, it will start and stop on it's own, however, the phillips respironics machines are not anywhere near as responsive as the resmed machines for auto start and stop.

they'll auto start, and stop, (if set to do so) but usually take several breaths on your part before they notice, and keep going for a while after you take the mask off.

might be easiest to just tap the knob.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tapping the knob does not work on this one, you are right about the auto setting I have to take 2-3 breaths to start it and to stop it I still have to hold the big knob down for 3-4 seconds but I can deal with that.

I am new to all this and although I have respritory therapist telling me about apnea the difference here is everyone speaks fro their experiences and do not use those million dollar words. Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you understand what central apnea is and why you have that kind of machine?

Unfortunately, that machine won't work with the SleepyHead software but there is the various Encore software. I'm sure one of those will work. With that, you can view your data and know if the treatment is working.

Consider your CPAP to be a sophisticated medication. You need to know the side effects and how well it is working (or not). Some medications, you need tests to determine if it is doing its job. Like diabetics test their blood sugar. CPAPers can use software to follow their progress as well as use the on-screen information.

Once you know that this machine (or one like it) is what you want, then you can go online and see if someone has one cheaper. We have a Supplier's List (link at the top of every page) to make that a little easier. Supplier #2 has "gently used" and open box machines.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Based on information you provided, I would "guess" your sleep study showed a significant number of central/mixed apneas.

Some patients with central apneas will respond to just regular CPAP. The obstructive apneas are fixed with the CPAP and the central apneas diminish over time (the central apneas were likely secondary to years of untreated obstructive apneas).

It sounds like they tried that first and you ended up with either mixed or poor results. The next step in most patients (here in the U.S.) would be to go from CPAP to BiPAP. Many central apnea patients that failed on CPAP will have good results with just BiPAP. If that doesn't work they can eventually end up on the very expensive BiPAP ASV. It looks like in your case they jumped from CPAP straight to BiPAP ASV.

This decision may have been based on many factors (not really enough information to go on here).

The Respironics System One BIPAP ASV Advanced is a great machine and should produce good results if you are getting good fit with your mask and assuming the machine is properly set.

Your machine does 3 basic things:

1) The expiratory pressure can be set at a range and works just like an Auto CPAP to treat the obstructive apneas.

2) The inspiratory pressure can be set to auto adjust to treat hypoventilation (extreme shallow breathing).

3) If all else fails and you aren't taking any type of breath at all (central apnea), the machine will essentially become a ventilator and deliver a breath for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 161 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 393 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.