Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie in cpap
Newbie in cpap
Hi, I am new member. I did not do a sleep study, since there is none in my city. Kediri. East Java. I suspected that I have an OSA for a longtime because everybody who saw me sleeping , saying that I had a very loud snore.
I bought Airsense 10 Autoset , Airfit 10 full face mask. The first 1 week I could sleep well but the AHI in machine were randomly around 9-12.59 . the machine was in Autoset mode, pressure range 8-12 cm H2O.
Last week I found this website, learning about it, try to adjust the pressure to obtain better AHI.
But, I experienced worst. The first time I change the pressure to 8-14 my AHI jump to 16.77, OSA 11.61. Central apnea 2.84. Hypopnea 2.32. Rera 0.77. I keep persisting on this set, but the next day AHI was 18.96. OSA 12.91. Central 3.6. Hypopnea 2.29. I was having palpitation and headache when I woke up. 2 days later I decided to change my pressure to to 7.4 - 16.4 it was better, AHI 5.45. OSA 3.23. Central 1.36. But the following day my AHI back to 16.78, then next day 14.50, yesterday was 12.4, today 12.2 ( I just saw it in the machine, did not retrieve the data from the SD card.)
I found now the mask was leakage from the chin, cheek, nose, have to adjust the straps, position with no success . Could not sleep well because of the leak, waking up even worse felling before I started the treatment. Don't know what to do.
Could anybody help me please...? I am using the sleepy head software.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie in cpap
You have not said what your leak rates are but this sounds to me like there may be too much leakage and it may be affecting your therapy. Go to the Resmed site and look for the videos for fitting your mask. Find the mask first and then the videos should be close by. If we can not help you enough to solve the leaks, you may need to try a different mask or a different type of mask.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you PaytonA....I have tried that...but it still did not work...straighten the strap, make it worst.
The software said the leakage was 27....?? Just feel and heard the leakage through the seals.
I ordered the nasal pillow mask opus 360 now, it still in Singapore.
There are lot of problems to order directly to my place here, many unknown fees, not only the taxes that I have to pay. One may have quote more than the price of the thing itself
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi yohanes,

Regarding leaks: With your ResMed machine any number above 24 is considered "large leak" and can start to compromise your therapy. We can't tell from your leak number alone (27) how much time your leaks were actually that high -- could be most of the night, or could be a few brief periods. When you're able to post some SleepyHead screenshots we can get a better idea of what your leak situation really is.

Overtightening the mask straps can actually cause more leaking rather than less. The mask cushion needs to be able to inflate -- that is what keeps the seal. It may also be that this is not the best mask for your face but it sounds like obtaining masks is not easy for you right now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Kaiasgram....will upload the the grafic when I am able to....not right now as a new member...!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Yohanes, welcome to Apnea Board. You live in a very spectacular part of the world - I have fond memories of riding a horse up Mount Bromo to watch the sunrise many years ago. My wife and I will be spending a few days in Bali at the end of next week, so I hope those volcanoes behave themselves. Smile

Don't worry too much if you have early problems with CPAP therapy - a lot of us take quite a while for everything to come together properly. And, yes it does sometimes feel like the machine is making things worse instead of better. But eventually it will come good and you will appreciate the difference.

As the others have said, the main thing is to get the leaks under control, then we can help you with pressures etc. In Sleepyhead, you can see the amount of time you are over the large leak limit: under the pie chart, below all the statistics you will see something like this:

Total time in apnea 00:04:32
Time over leak redline 0.000%

Have a look and let us know what the percentage of time over the redline is, and we can advise if it is excessive.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi yohanes ,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP can take some getting used to but just keep on trying. It takes some people quite a while to notice improvement and others notice improvements right away. Hopefully, at some point, you can either get your mask adjusted or try a different one. The mask is the most difficult part of this therapy but just stick with it, it does get better.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DeepBreathing and trish6hundreds
I just download yesterday statistic.
AHI was 12.35. Min pressure 7.2. Max 16.4
Clear airway 1.76. OSA 9.80. Hypopnea 0.78. RERA 0.59. Pressure min .4. Med 11.54, 95% 16.24. Max 16.4
Leak rate Med 6. 00. 95% 12.00. Max. 48.00
Total time in apnea 00.21. Time over leak redline 0.087%.
The day before yesterday (19/7/2015) even worst. AHI 14.50. Clear airway 2.98. OSA 10.44. Total time in apnea 00.56.47. Time over leak redline 0.032 %.
DeepBreathing...wow you were visiting East Java, Kediri is in Esat Java, as well mount Bromo. I am in Jakarta until this weekend. Will try to get a sleep study...! Thank you all
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Yohanes

On those numbers, your leaks are not a problem. The maximum of 48 was probably just a short term thing when maybe your mask was dislodged if you rolled over, or something like that. The leaks are an annoyance, but they are not interfering with your therapy. However, the fact that you notice the leaks means that they are disturbing your sleep and you need to take care of that, as mentioned in the posts above.

Regarding pressure, you are having nearly all obstructive apneas which suggests an increase in pressure might help. The fact that your 95% and maximum pressures are the same indicates the machine is trying to go higher to suppress apneas. So you should increase your maximum a bit. It might also help to raise the minimum to just below the median. This would give you a range of 10 to 18. I think you'll get better results with these settings but it might also increase your leaks and might also induce some central apneas. If you find it hard to breathe out against that pressure, you can set the EPR to 1, 2 or 3, whichever is most comfortable.

Give this a try, and leave the settings alone for a week without any further changes. It's important to get a longer term trend and not adjust things every night (otherwise you will never get it right).

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DeepBreathing
Thank you for your advice. Yes indeed the leakage was really disturbing my sleep.it created a sound, from the vibration of the soft seals.
I just increased the pressure 4 days ago, and today AHI was 11.1. So it is decreasing since I changed it. Do I need to wait or just increase it again today...?
I used EPR 3 already, since I felt difficult to exhale when I increase from 12 last week to 16.4 this week.
Thank you again

Best regards,
Yohanes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 477 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 293 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.