Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie issues - mask leaks, adjusting pressure
Newbie issues - mask leaks, adjusting pressure
Hi there folks,

Long story short, I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea in 2008. I couldn't get used to my CPAP at that time and ended up selling it a few months later (I know, I know). So I was untreated for a long time but honestly felt ok for a while. After having children I was absolutely exhausted but chalked it up to having two little ones who were terrible sleepers. Once they started sleeping through the night, I was just as tired and I realized that my sleep apnea must have gotten worse over the years (seems obvious now). I did a bit of research and went into CPAP therapy with a much better attitude this time. I've had a Dreamstation Auto for about 6 weeks and I’m still in the rental/trial period with the DME and have tried a few masks.

My original prescription was for 7cm fixed. This time they started me off at 5-15cm. I was feeling air hungry  at 5cm so it is now at 7-15cm. My 90% pressure is usually around 9cm. I've struggled with minor mask leaks that affect my comfort level. I mostly feel the leaking around my eyes and sometimes under my nose. At 5-15, I had mostly learned to readjust the mask to deal with the leaks on my go-to mask, the ResMed N20. Last week, the minimum pressure was increased from 5cm to 7cm. Since then, I have been having a lot of trouble getting the mask to seal properly for any amount of time. The machine still says the mask fit is 99-100%, but I feel the air leaking and it's disrupting my sleep. My AHI has also gone up - used to be between 1 and 2, and it is now between 2 and 3. I realize that the solution may be to drop the minimum pressure back down to 5, but if my pressure is going up to 9 several times a night, I must be experiencing these leaks each time.

I currently have an Eson 2 on loan as well, and it also leaks. It’s less comfortable for me than the N20 so I haven’t used it a whole lot. Both masks are Medium size. From the printable sizing guides, my nose seems to be right at the limits of small and medium. I haven’t tried the small cushions but I wonder if that might help with the leaks? I did get a bit of chafing on the sides of my nose at first, so I had assumed that a smaller size would make that worse. My DME is pretty good about letting patients try different masks but I’m really close to the end of my trial period.  I’ve also tried the PR Dreamwear, RM Swift FX Nano, RM P10, and the Eson 2.

I’ve tried a few different pillows (none specifially designed for CPAP, but different sizes, levels of firmness and loft) with only slight improvement.

I am not using Sleephead as I have a Chomebook and cannot run software. I’m looking at getting a new laptop but it doesn’t really fit into my budget right now. DME says my leak rate is well within the acceptable range and this is just a comfort issue. I feel that if I can’t sleep well and still feel like crap, it’s also a therapy issue. What else can I try?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie issues - mask leaks, adjusting pressure
Hello,
This is probably a minor solution but I find that my mask has fewer leaks if I wash the contact areas regularly.  I'm guessing that my face oils lead to increased amount of mask leakage.  Again, a minor thing but it helps me.
Good luck,
Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Where is the air leaking from. Is it near the bridge of your nose? Is it down around your mouth? Is it along your cheeks? Is it your mouth perchance?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2017, 09:04 PM)lashlock Wrote: Hello,
This is probably a minor solution but I find that my mask has fewer leaks if I wash the contact areas regularly.  I'm guessing that my face oils lead to increased amount of mask leakage.  Again, a minor thing but it helps me.
Good luck,
Larry

Thanks! I use mask wipes most days, and clean with mild dish soap and water once a week. I haven't noticed a difference on the nights that the mask has been washed vs. wiped, but I'll try washing it a few days in a row to experiment. Can't hurt, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2017, 09:24 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Where is the air leaking from. Is it near the bridge of your nose? Is it down around your mouth? Is it along your cheeks? Is it your mouth perchance?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I almost always feel the air in my eyes. I've tried to feel around the mask with my fingers and I can't locate the leak. I've also tried cupping my hands outward behind the exhaust port to make sure I'm not feeling air bouncing back from there. My best guess is that it's coming from the cheek area, though it could be the bridge as well. Rarely, I will feel the tiniest whistle from the corner of my mouth, but readjusting my tongue takes care of that. 

Maybe I just have sensitive eyes?  I know that my numbers are totally acceptable but it's really bothering me. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try mask liners. Some say that helps make a better seal, and stops the air from hitting eyes.

Also, I've found that an Eye Seal Mask works well to keep air away from the eyes.
Look for masks that don't lay flat against the eye, but bubble out slightly around the eye
to accommodate opening and closing the eye without rubbing.

Amazon has some options that are soft fabric but seal nice.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi son.et.lumiere,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know you said that you were almost at the end of your trial period, but you might ask to try another mask.
I wish you better luck this time around with CPAP therapy and I hope that you find a mask that works well for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to ask questions that you had answered in your original post. I did read your post and apparently missed that. The air that you feel hitting your eyes is probably coming from around the bridge of your nose. I am very sensitive to that also.

When you adjust your mask, do you make sure that you are doing so at the highest pressure your machine is set for. I do not know if the P-R machine has a mask fit feature that you can use but if it does that would be the way to go.

It sounds like you may need to tighten up your straps a little. I would start with the upper straps to see if you can't eliminate the leaks into your eyes and then if you are still having some leakage under your nose you may need to adjust the lower straps a little. It is a good idea to make strap adjustments a little at a time to get to the point where you have just stop the leaks.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 51 9 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 85 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 453 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 133 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.