Newbie - keep waking up
Tom in RI Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: System One RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex (750P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 16/9
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Newbie - keep waking up
When I first got my machine, around 8-9 years ago, it took me around 3 weeks to get used to it. Only this year have I started forcing myself to sleep on my stomach, which also took a couple of weeks to get used to. What convinced me to do this was having daily feedback from Sleepyhead. Once I started looking at the results every day I was able to make a better connection between what I was doing and my AHI. For me sleeping on my back raises my AHI significantly. My AHI for the last year is 1.68, for the last 6 months, .98, for the last 30 days, .62. I still wake up 1-3 times a night but I generally go back to sleep right away. I didn't know about Sleepyhead until I found this site. I can't wait to show my doctor at my next appointment.

Bottom line, hang in there, it will take awhile to get used to but it will be worth it.
10-26-2013 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
mdh235 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed F10
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12.4 - 12.8
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Newbie - keep waking up
(10-25-2013 11:12 AM)LOVEDOG Wrote:  MDH: Have you ever tried straight CPAP. I see that your pressure needs are not that high, which is a good thing. I don't know exactly what your titrated number is, but I would try one pressure maybe at 11 or 12 just to see if it is the pressure changes that are waking you up. Some people do not do well with AUTO because of that.

Hope this helps!

I was originally set up for CPAP at 11. Of course, once I discovered that I could change the settings on my machine, that's what I've done.

Part of my sleeping problem is that I still wake up needing to pee, just not as often as I did before PAP. I know PAP is supposed to help with that, and it has, but it's still a problem for me.

I've found that I do pretty well at a lower starting pressure, say 8 or so, up to 12. No OSAs, just some hypopneas and centrals. Most of my AHI number now is hypopneas. I don't know if I should be trying to deal with that or not, or even if my machine can deal with them.

Anyway, getting back to your suggestion, I'll try straight CPAP for a couple of nights and see what happens. I believe my AHI numbers are lower on auto, but I don't have the data in front of me to check.

10-26-2013 09:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Resp rate drop off before waking sclaire 8 377 09-11-2016 02:49 PM
Last Post: klv329
  newbie yossarian 14 609 09-01-2016 02:01 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  From a Newbie to a newbie PappinLikeABoss 11 944 08-22-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: chill
  Mask sounding like elephant calls and waking me all night mummer1962 3 291 07-20-2016 07:31 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  2 month into CPAP Treatment, AHI is low but waking up frequently and still tired mateobus 10 1,625 07-19-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: chill
  [CPAP] Waking up in the middle of the night since cpap susilosaja 33 1,742 07-15-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: susilosaja
  Resmed Autoset S10 awakens me with high pressure - won't ease off, even after waking marco7222 8 892 05-31-2016 12:44 AM
Last Post: marco7222