Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - keep waking up
Newbie - keep waking up
Hello:
I am a new member to the forum.
I just started my sleep therapy, third night. Slept 2 hrs, woke up, slept 2 more hrs and woke up. Is this how it's suppose to be? When do you get use to it . I turn a lot a night. I new this was going to be tuff.
Leonard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie
(10-19-2013, 01:58 PM)ldameron Wrote: Hello:
I am a new member to the forum.
I just started my sleep therapy, third night. Slept 2 hrs, woke up, slept 2 more hrs and woke up. Is this how it's suppose to be? When do you get use to it . I turn a lot a night. I new this was going to be tuff.
Leonard

Welcome.

This could happen for a few different reasons. Leaks can wake you up. I would check your data in sleepy head or some other program that will show you your data for each night of sleep.

There is the adjustment period too. Some people take to it with little to no issues and others take a long time to adjust.

I am sure others here will have more answers for you.

Stick with it; it is better than the alternative.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ldameron, WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP can take some getting used to, stick with it, it does get better as you get used to this "new" way of sleeping. What you might try is to wear your mask and use your machine during the evening as you watch TV or read, so your body will get used to it before you sleep.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang in there my friend. It will get better!
I don't think there are many here you adapted to their device on the first night.
I know it took me several weeks, in which time I tried different masks.
Try wearing your mask while watching TV or reading, just to get used to wearing it.

Good Luck and keep at it!
OkayCoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Reading, watching TV and so on will help you to get used to it. The sooner you can keep the mask on all night, every night, the sooner you will become comfortable. I assume you need it (like the rest of us) and can tell you that at some point you will realize that you sleep better with your machine than without it. Just know that we've all gone through what you are going through. It will pass.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Leonard, welcome to the club.

As the others have said, adjusting to PAP therapy does take some getting used to. The fact that you move about a lot in your sleep is possibly dislodging your mask and the leaks might be waking you. First and most important is to get a mask which is comfortable and doesn't leak - I'm on my 4th in seven weeks and have finally got one that suits. Once the mask is right then the rest will follow.

It does take some getting used to - I'm just starting to feel comfortable with it now after nearly two months.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2013, 04:42 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Leonard, welcome to the club.

As the others have said, adjusting to PAP therapy does take some getting used to. The fact that you move about a lot in your sleep is possibly dislodging your mask and the leaks might be waking you. First and most important is to get a mask which is comfortable and doesn't leak - I'm on my 4th in seven weeks and have finally got one that suits. Once the mask is right then the rest will follow.

It does take some getting used to - I'm just starting to feel comfortable with it now after nearly two months.

What mask is working for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2013, 05:12 AM)me50 Wrote: What mask is working for you?

Resmed Quattro Air (small). I had a medium but it leaked a lot around my goatee oldman The small seems to sit a lot better on my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
i use the quatto fx. it feels pretty good. my problem is my noise stops up and i have to mouth breathe only. i don't know enough to know when it's not fitting good. i only got 30 days to decide. do people tend to sleep on their backs? i sleep mostly on my sides. i have a hard time going to sleep and don't sleep thru the night.
leonard
Post Reply Post Reply
me50:

you said you finnaly found one that works for you. are you using the quatto fx?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 7 125 7 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 392 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.