Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - longtime ResMed S8 user - feeling awfully tired
Newbie - longtime ResMed S8 user - feeling awfully tired
I've been using ResMed S8 Elite II on APAP mode for 4 years now. I got wonderful relief from symptoms for a long time, but gradually my symptoms have been re-emerging. This has been so gradual over the past 6 months that I didn't realize until yesterday that it was apnea symptoms. (clear now that it is: never feeling rested in the am, daytime sleepiness, excessive nighttime sweating, depression, irritability, forgetfulness, reflux, etc. I should point out that I have gained weight which may be a factor.

I am new to the machine stats, but did some research this morning and figured out how to access some data, which I report below.

Press: 10.4 day & week; 10.6 mo; 10.2 6 mo; 10.0 yr
Leak: 0.10 L/s day; 0.036 wk; 0.032 mo; 0.22 6 mo; 0.26 yr
AHI: 12.6 day;16.3 wk; 16.1 mo; 16.7 6 mo; 17.3 yr
AI: 0.7 day; 1.7 wk; 1.7 mo; 2.2 6 mo; 2.9 yr
HI: 11.9 day; 13.6 wk; 14.0 mo; 14.4 6 mo14.3 yr

Do these data suggest that I am getting the full benefit of my machine? BTW I will be calling my doctor this morning.

Input is most welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - longtime ResMed S8 user - feeling awfully tired
(05-08-2013, 06:02 AM)SleepyMsPat Wrote: I've been using ResMed S8 Elite II on APAP mode for 4 years now.
S8 Elite is not APAP .... operate at one fixed pressure all night long (apart from Ramp time)
AHI is on the high side and mostly hypopneas
Pressure might need adjustment but S8 unlike S9 don,t detect central sleep apnea
Also don,t differentiates between obstructive and central sleep apnea
The doctor might suggest a new sleep study

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the doc appointment
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyMsPat,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luckat your Dr. Appointment.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyMsPat. Your AHI is too high, with mainly hypopneas. As stated your machine does not sense clear airway events. You're not getting good therapy. Get to the doctor for an adjustment as soon as you can. As Zonk said a new sleep study may be in order. It's funny how those apnea symptoms sneak up on us. Good luck. Please keep us posted and we like to keep track of folks with problems and those doing well. It helps us help the next person.
Post Reply Post Reply
MsPat, you might need to get an S9 Autoset so it can float you at the optimal pressure, but like Zonk says, get checked out first.

Good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi skyler,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2013, 06:02 AM)SleepyMsPat Wrote: I got wonderful relief from symptoms for a long time, but gradually my symptoms have been re-emerging. This has been so gradual over the past 6 months that I didn't realize until yesterday that it was apnea symptoms.
Press: 10.4 day & week; 10.6 mo; 10.2 6 mo; 10.0 yr
Leak: 0.10 L/s day; 0.036 wk; 0.032 mo; 0.22 6 mo; 0.26 yr
AHI: 12.6 day;16.3 wk; 16.1 mo; 16.7 6 mo; 17.3 yr
AI: 0.7 day; 1.7 wk; 1.7 mo; 2.2 6 mo; 2.9 yr
HI: 11.9 day; 13.6 wk; 14.0 mo; 14.4 6 mo14.3 yr

Hi SleepyMsPat, welcome to the forum!

In case you may be getting a new machine, here is a link to recommendations from one of our Master Members on what machines to accept:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

To get the Leak in Liters per minute, multiply those L/s numbers by 60. Your average leak for past month has been about 2 L/m, which is excellent. ResMed recommends Leak be kept below 0.4 L/s or 24 L/m.

Your AHI numbers for the past month and past 6 months have been about the same as the average for the past year.

None of your recent numbers look worse than your average for the past year, but nonetheless the AHI numbers are too high.

Having had inadequate treatment for Sleep Apnea for the past year (or longer) may be primarily what is making you feel so tired and needs to be fixed, of course, but may be a good idea to have a full check-up, too.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 172 7 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 343 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.