Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie looking for help
Newbie looking for help
Greetings:

I'm very new. I just had my sleep study last week and went in for my followup yesterday. They sent me home with a Devilbiss InetlliPAP with a humidifier and an Opus nasal pillow mask on a weekly rental for now. My current setting is 8. I'm not positive what my AHI was in the test. I think it was in the 60s? The doctor said it was severe Apnea. I was able to use the unit for about 7 hours last night. I've been reading in the forums about monitoring software. I'm not even sure how I'd find out the numbers or if I can interface the unit with my computer. The manual seems very simplistic (On/Off, Humidifier Adjustment and Delay).

My first question is, is there any way to get any kind of data from this unit (either in the LCD display or via an interface; it does have a data port but it looks very primitive)?

As for a more permanent machine, I have a copy of my prescription and I'm willing to pay for it myself (preferably online). I've been talking to my friends with machines and I'm leaning toward a ResMed S9 Autoset with H5i and ClimateLine. My boss has a ResMed S8 Autoset II and loves it. When I mentioned ResMed to the Doctor he said he really didn't like them. He said that they weren't very reliable (lots of breakdowns).

My second question is, how is everyone's experience with ResMed's S9? Are they reliable? Does this sound like a good choice?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul Carrick
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie looking for help
Hi Paul and welcome. I cannot help you with the first part of your question, but I can say that I have an S9 model (albeit fixed not auto) and I have had it for almost a year. Not had one breakdown on it, except the lid of the humidifier has come off twice for no reason but it is easy enough to put back on. Very reliable and sturdy machine, so I would recommend it.

Sorry cannot be of much help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2012, 08:41 PM)PaulCarrick Wrote: My first question is, is there any way to get any kind of data from this unit (either in the LCD display or via an interface; it does have a data port but it looks very primitive)?

As for a more permanent machine, I have a copy of my prescription and I'm willing to pay for it myself (preferably online).
It depends the basic InetlliPAP is not data capable machine.
http://www.devilbisshealthcare.com/produ...ap-devices

Why you need to buy the S9 pocket? If you,re insured and in US you can get any machine you want from any DME on your insurance DME approved list.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2012, 08:41 PM)PaulCarrick Wrote: I'm very new. I just had my sleep study last week and went in for my followup yesterday. They sent me home with a Devilbiss InetlliPAP with a humidifier and an Opus nasal pillow mask on a weekly rental for now. My current setting is 8. I'm not positive what my AHI was in the test. I think it was in the 60s? The doctor said it was severe Apnea. I was able to use the unit for about 7 hours last night. I've been reading in the forums about monitoring software. I'm not even sure how I'd find out the numbers or if I can interface the unit with my computer. The manual seems very simplistic (On/Off, Humidifier Adjustment and Delay).
My first question is, is there any way to get any kind of data from this unit (either in the LCD display or via an interface; it does have a data port but it looks very primitive)?
As for a more permanent machine, I have a copy of my prescription and I'm willing to pay for it myself (preferably online). I've been talking to my friends with machines and I'm leaning toward a ResMed S9 Autoset with H5i and ClimateLine. My boss has a ResMed S8 Autoset II and loves it. When I mentioned ResMed to the Doctor he said he really didn't like them. He said that they weren't very reliable (lots of breakdowns).
My second question is, how is everyone's experience with ResMed's S9? Are they reliable? Does this sound like a good choice?

The ResMed S9 is a great machine, and I have heard of no more problems with them than with any of the others. The ResMed S9 and the Philips Respironics System One A-Flex are the top machines these days. The ResMed S9 is slightly more popular with users here than the PR System One.

As for getting data from the DeVilbiss, I don't know if you can do so. You definitely can get data from the ResMed S9 or the PR System One using SleepyHead, which is free, open source software. Having said that, Philips Respironics has just come out with a brand new System 60 model that is not yet supported by SleepyHead.

As for buying a machine yourself, I would strongly consider your local Craigslist or Supplier #2 (see the supplier list button at the top of the page here).

Most importantly, be sure not to hesitate to ask questions. I say that because I know you will have lots of tem. And above all Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PaulCarrick, First of all, Welcome! to the forum. Unfortunately, I'm not able to help you regarding questions about your "Devilbiss." But, I can tell you that I haven't heard about "Resmed" Machines breaking down any more than any other brands. I have a "Resmed" machine and I'm very happy with it. Of course the above statement is my opinion.
Just keep checking back into the forum as I'm sure others will be able to help you with the information you need regarding the machine you are using now. Best of luck with your therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a resmed S9 for nearly 2 years now with never a hiccup.

EDIT: Except the night I pulled the power plug out. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have to buy out of pocket, I suggest looking into Supplier #2 (found here). They sell gently used and open box machines at great prices.

I also suggest going with an autoPAP. You can either use it in auto mode or in 'fixed' mode. If you go for a Resmed machine, do not get any one that has 'Escape' in the name. They are record only the compliance data. The Resmed S9 Auto and the Respironics are both great machines.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2012, 08:41 PM)PaulCarrick Wrote: The manual seems very simplistic (On/Off, Humidifier Adjustment and Delay).

There's a Clinician's Manual that they hide from the end user. Look here and see if you can find it.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

We need to know which model you have before we can determine if it's data-capable.

My second question is, how is everyone's experience with ResMed's S9? Are they reliable? Does this sound like a good choice? [/quote]

This is a very popular machine among the board members here, and they all report it to be a reliable and capable machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2012, 10:17 PM)Sleepster Wrote: We need to know which model you have before we can determine if it's data-capable.

Thanks for replying...

The Model is DV51. The link looks interesting. I'll keep it in mind.

Based on the comments above and the interface connector I suspect it's a "no go" for getting data but listening to the other posts I'm really thinking of getting the S9 so I think that will resolve the issue.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for all your comments. I really appreciate the help and this forum. Based on your comments I think I've decided to go with a ResMed S9. This should solve the interface problem and give me a machine I can be happy with.

Thanks for your welcome and advice.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 267 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.