Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie looking for .... something
Newbie looking for .... something
I am six months in and am getting so frustrated! It is to the point where I have been researching possible surgical options to help with the obstruction portion of my apnea. Why would I want to do that??
I was diagnosed with complex apnea. I think I was having about 50 episodes an hour at the time of testing. Since then, I have had about 6 or 7 different pressure settings. The best I have been able to get is about 6-7 AHI, but at that point the pressure was at 21 and I could not sleep. Each breath made my lungs hurt. Outside of that, my AHI has run around 10 with numerous other pressure settings.

Are there people who simply cannot achieve decent levels without such high pressure, or are we missing something? I go back to the doctor tomorrow. Any suggestions??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie looking for .... something
Hi Caffeinehigh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having such a rought time with CPAP therapy but I encourage you to stick with it.
The surgery doesn't always yield such great results. Usually, people have to wind up using CPAP therapy even after the surgery and from what I understand, it is quite painful.
Hang in there for more suggestions and don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2013, 11:18 AM)Caffeinehigh Wrote: ... The best I have been able to get is about 6-7 AHI, but at that point the pressure was at 21 and I could not sleep. Each breath made my lungs hurt. ...

The "lungs hurting" happened to me as well as I was getting used to CPAP therapy. For me (and others), it goes away with time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2013, 11:18 AM)Caffeinehigh Wrote: I am six months in and am getting so frustrated! It is to the point where I have been researching possible surgical options to help with the obstruction portion of my apnea. Why would I want to do that??
I was diagnosed with complex apnea. I think I was having about 50 episodes an hour at the time of testing. Since then, I have had about 6 or 7 different pressure settings. The best I have been able to get is about 6-7 AHI, but at that point the pressure was at 21 and I could not sleep. Each breath made my lungs hurt. Outside of that, my AHI has run around 10 with numerous other pressure settings.

Are there people who simply cannot achieve decent levels without such high pressure, or are we missing something? I go back to the doctor tomorrow. Any suggestions??

Caffeinehigh, welcome, I also have complex sleep apnea, I wouldn't think the surgery would fix the central side of the sleep apnea as it is neurological, basically your brain telling your nevous system not to bother breathing. I have heard it is a painful operation with limited success rates.
I'm lucky as my CPAP treats my obstructive sleep apnea which then lowers the number of centrals I have and I am at a reasonably low pressure compared to yours.
Get your doctor to check all your figures and see what he recommends.
Wish you luck and will be interested to know how you go if you do go ahead with the surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board Caffeinehigh...

just gotta say.... love the username!

Coffeelots-o-coffeelots-o-coffeelots-o-coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2013, 11:18 AM)Caffeinehigh Wrote: I was diagnosed with complex apnea. I think I was having about 50 episodes an hour at the time of testing. Since then, I have had about 6 or 7 different pressure settings. The best I have been able to get is about 6-7 AHI, but at that point the pressure was at 21 and I could not sleep. Each breath made my lungs hurt. Outside of that, my AHI has run around 10 with numerous other pressure settings.

Are there people who simply cannot achieve decent levels without such high pressure, or are we missing something?

Hi Caffeinehigh, welcome to the forum!

ASV machines may need to suddenly raise the inhale pressure to be 10 cmH2O or more higher than the exhale pressure, so the machine can do all the work of breathing for us, when we have a central apnea and stop breathing on our own.

If the patient has Complex or Mixed Sleep Apnea (Obstructive Sleep Apnea in addition to Central Sleep Apnea), treating the OSA may require the exhale (EPAP) pressure to occasionally be moderately high (10 to 15 cmH2O), and if a central apnea occurs when the exhale pressure needs to be, say, 10 or 15, then every time we need to inhale the IPAP pressure may need to jump up to 20 or 25.

Sleep position often makes a huge difference on how high the EPAP pressure needs to be to treat/prevent the obstructive portion of our Complex/Mixed Sleep Apnea. One thing we can do to minimize how much pressure we need, is to make sure we do not roll onto our back while sleeping. I wear a snug teeshirt with a tennis ball in a pocket sewn right between the shoulder blades. It really works.

Take care,
--- Vaughn.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Caffeinehigh

Have you ever tried a different type or make of mask? Nasal pillows do not work for every one.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2013, 11:18 AM)Caffeinehigh Wrote: I am six months in and am getting so frustrated! It is to the point where I have been researching possible surgical options to help with the obstruction portion of my apnea. Why would I want to do that??

I assume you have eliminated leaks and mouth breathing. I do not have a lot of experience with complex apnea or SV machines but I have had some surgeries. Many people do not seem to have good long term benefits from UUP surgeries. Some other surgeries either move the tongue forward or the jaw and tongue forward together. They both open up more room for airflow behind the tongue. I do not know if that is your problem or if the operation would help. A doctor may be able to see if he examines you with a instrument with a light and tube. One thing you could try is to wear a boil and bite device like a snorban device which will help hold your jaw and tongue forward possibly helping you. If that helps surgery might also benefit you but only a doctor would know. I wear one with my cpap and also have had surgery and feel that it helps me. I do not know if you can tolerate this or want to try it but it is a thought. You may want to discuss this with your doctor before you do it.
GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to sleep on my right side and that is my preference. Now, I cannot go to sleep if I am on either side. When I lay on my back, I can go to sleep immediately. I don't like sleeping on my back though. Any suggestions other than the tennis ball suggestion as I have enough trouble staying asleep for more than 2 hours at a time? I think if I could just get to sleep on my side, I might/hopefully stay on my side but not sure. Anyone else have trouble falling asleep on their side?

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 127 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 211 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 193 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 513 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 213 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 308 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 278 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.