Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie married to Bi-PAP user
Smile 
Newbie married to Bi-PAP user
I just found this site today by asking Teh Great Gazoogle about how to clean a CPAP mask. What a treasure trove of information! I just wanted to say hello, and let you know I'll be prowling around looking for ways to improve Mr. Marion in Savannah's experience.

He's also got COPD, and has just gotten a portable oxygen concentrator, so breathing is an issue here. He feels that broccoli sprouts seem to help his breathing a bit, so I've been sprouting for a while now. Has anyone else noticed that?

Again, glad to have found this site and thanks for all the great information. (And also for the kitty videos in the "off topic" threads — they're great!)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie married to Bi-PAP user
Welcome to our forum.Welcome

There's lot of good advice here and if your hubby wants to know anything, you can always come here and ask about it. Hopefully the CPAP therapy will help your hubby breathe easier at night. If not, at least all that broccoli will give him good nutrients.

iSnooze
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to meet you. Why don't you fill out your profile with his information so we can help faster should you ever need it? Just note like you did that it's not yours but his.

How to:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...13#pid4713
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there and WELCOME! to the forum.!
There is a lot of things to explore here as you have discovered.
Mr. Marion is lucky to have you for support and help.
I echo what Paula said in the post before this one.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2013, 06:56 PM)Marion in Savannah Wrote: He's also got COPD, and has just gotten a portable oxygen concentrator, so breathing is an issue here. He feels that broccoli sprouts seem to help his breathing a bit, so I've been sprouting for a while now. Has anyone else noticed that?

I haven't noticed any benefits to broccoli, but I don't eat it much. I'd eat it more if it would help. Do you have any information about what it is in broccoli that makes it work? Do you cook it (how?) or eat it raw? Just curious about a possible benefit.

And above all Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome from another newbie married to a CPAP user (from Atlanta)!

(01-04-2013, 06:56 PM)Marion in Savannah Wrote: I just found this site today by asking Teh Great Gazoogle about how to clean a CPAP mask. What a treasure trove of information! I just wanted to say hello, and let you know I'll be prowling around looking for ways to improve Mr. Marion in Savannah's experience.

He's also got COPD, and has just gotten a portable oxygen concentrator, so breathing is an issue here. He feels that broccoli sprouts seem to help his breathing a bit, so I've been sprouting for a while now. Has anyone else noticed that?

Again, glad to have found this site and thanks for all the great information. (And also for the kitty videos in the "off topic" threads — they're great!)

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2013, 07:54 PM)JJJ Wrote: I haven't noticed any benefits to broccoli, but I don't eat it much. I'd eat it more if it would help. Do you have any information about what it is in broccoli that makes it work? Do you cook it (how?) or eat it raw? Just curious about a possible benefit.

And above all Welcome

The compound in the sprouts (it's present in the vegetable, but in lesser concentrations than the sprouts) is sulforaphane. It seems to help against inflammation. I buy broccoli seeds on line and sprout them until they start to show some green (the cotyledons, not true leaves). Then I "harvest" them by cutting them from their root mat. They're delicious — they have a tiny bit of spiciness, and are wonderful on sandwiches and in salads.

I tried to post links to 2 articles on the web you might find informative, but apparently I'm not allowed to do that yet/ever? If you Google "broccoli sprout COPD" you'll find some links there.

I don't know if the sprouts would have a beneficial impact specifically on apnea, but Mr. Marion in Savannah swears that he breathes better with sprouts than without them, and I guess anything that improves lung function can't hurt!

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2013, 07:29 AM)Marion in Savannah Wrote: I tried to post links to 2 articles on the web you might find informative, but apparently I'm not allowed to do that yet/ever? If you Google "broccoli sprout COPD" you'll find some links there.

Please refer to the rules concerning links.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...oard-Rules

Referencing to Google is the perfect way to refer someone to a site.

Also, you are a very new member and cannot post links at all until you reach a higher membership level. This is one of the anti-spammer methods this board uses.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-explained
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2013, 07:29 AM)Marion in Savannah Wrote: If you Google "broccoli sprout COPD" you'll find some links there.
there are heaps of link, here chosen few hoping none is a commercial site
1- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broccoli_sprouts
2- http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/april...11copd.htm
3- http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-04-ex...-copd.html

anyone for egg sandwich with mayo and sprouts Coffee
[Image: 220px-Broccoli_sprouts.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
The big thing to watch out for with sprouts of any kind is the salmonella risk. Be sure to read up on how to prevent this. Sprouts used to be easily found in grocery stores until more and more of them started getting tainted.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/types/fru...routs.html
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.