Mask Make & Model: resmed airfit p10 for her
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: auto
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
RE: Newbie - mild apnea due to anatomy, central and hypopnea
Thanks Vaughn!

I'll ask for those adjustments tomorrow when I go in, I had been thinking about moving up from the minimum 4 cm pressure since that setting now feels way too low. I typically sleep only on my side, can't sleep well on my back at all so I don't think I back sleep much.

Appreciate the feedback and info.
01-05-2015 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
novatom Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: 460 PR System One REMStar 60 Series Pro CPAP Machine
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Pro
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humdifier
CPAP Pressure: 6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: Professional journalist. Started CPAP on Jan. 1, 2015.

Sex: Male

That was the same diagnosis that I got from my Sleep Clinic doctor as well. One of the first things he did when I went to his office was shine a flashlight in my mouth.

I don't have high blood pressure or any other major medical problems, I'm only about 5-10 pounds over my ideal weight so I assumed that that was the problem anyways. I should add that I grind my teeth at night (I have 7 crowns to prove it) and have a very strong gag reflex, so I don't know if those may come into the equation as well.

Twelve years ago I was diagnosed "borderline" sleep apnea but this time it was "moderate." I don't understand how things can change that much or that the opening got any smaller but I'm glad of the most recent diagnosis, I think it's actually easier to have it and be able to fix it than be "borderline."
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 11:30 AM by novatom.)
01-05-2015 11:26 AM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

(01-05-2015 10:22 AM)kareypdx Wrote:  I had been thinking about moving up from the minimum 4 cm pressure since that setting now feels way too low. I typically sleep only on my side, can't sleep well on my back at all so I don't think I back sleep much.

If 4 cm H2O feels "way too low" then I suggest jumping Min Pressure to 6.0 or at least 5.4 cm H2O.

If you are not sleeping on your back very much, that may be why your pressure does not go really high very much.

Lots of patients who had been pretty sure they were never sleeping on their back have discovered (though infrared photography) that they occasionally roll onto their back while asleep and that is when the CPAP machine raises the pressure so high.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 06:28 PM by vsheline.)
01-05-2015 04:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Don't put much faith in the "narrow throat" hypothesis. It might be right, it might not.

The important thing is do you have apnea and do you fix it with CPAP.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-06-2015 03:03 AM
kareypdx Offline

Members

Machine: resmed airsense 10 auto set
Mask Make & Model: resmed airfit p10 for her
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: auto
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Thanks all,
We upped the starting pressure to 6. I know part of it is anatomical as I have to have the dentist put in props to hold my mouth open when they need to work at the back of my mouth for too long (i.e. had a filling on back molar replaced and a crown due to cracked tooth from old filling). And I know I have a mallampati score of II/III so I know there isn't a lot of space there. We'll see what time shows and see if there is any other contributing factor after having some more thyroid tests done!
01-06-2015 10:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sparkle Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Res Med Air Sense 10 Auto Set
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed S10 37028
CPAP Pressure: 4-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: 3 brothers on CPAP; rescue mom to Bootsie Bella; wishes the APAP matched the decor in my bedroom :)

Hi,

I am new too - I had the home sleep test in mid-December and got the results 12/26 though my results were not as detailed as yours.

I am writing because I, too, never had trouble falling asleep, have a small crowded mouth and discovered I had growths on my thyroid. One cannot help but wonder if these or a combination of them contribute to the fatigue. I only just got my machine last night so I only have one night of data - 4 events per hour, 5.6 was the air flow (terminology may be wrong?) with the setting being between 4-14.

Seems to be a great deal of informed helpful people here so hang in there and Good Luck
01-14-2015 01:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ASV/ Central apena - Time for a second opinion? Feisty Folder 6 296 11-21-2016 04:14 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 696 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
  Anatomy of a Nightmare Rcgop 10 435 10-26-2016 04:01 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  pressure vs EPR vs hypopnea vs humidity vs congestion Rick76599 6 382 10-15-2016 06:08 PM
Last Post: Rick76599
  Help with sleep apnea for newbie statonh 6 428 10-11-2016 04:32 PM
Last Post: statonh
  apnea vs hypopnea KSMatthew 15 956 10-10-2016 04:08 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  mild sleep apnea LGF1 6 443 09-26-2016 07:10 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb