Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - mild apnea due to anatomy, central and hypopnea
RE: Newbie - mild apnea due to anatomy, central and hypopnea
Thanks Vaughn!

I'll ask for those adjustments tomorrow when I go in, I had been thinking about moving up from the minimum 4 cm pressure since that setting now feels way too low. I typically sleep only on my side, can't sleep well on my back at all so I don't think I back sleep much.

Appreciate the feedback and info.
Post Reply Post Reply
That was the same diagnosis that I got from my Sleep Clinic doctor as well. One of the first things he did when I went to his office was shine a flashlight in my mouth.

I don't have high blood pressure or any other major medical problems, I'm only about 5-10 pounds over my ideal weight so I assumed that that was the problem anyways. I should add that I grind my teeth at night (I have 7 crowns to prove it) and have a very strong gag reflex, so I don't know if those may come into the equation as well.

Twelve years ago I was diagnosed "borderline" sleep apnea but this time it was "moderate." I don't understand how things can change that much or that the opening got any smaller but I'm glad of the most recent diagnosis, I think it's actually easier to have it and be able to fix it than be "borderline."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2015, 10:22 AM)kareypdx Wrote: I had been thinking about moving up from the minimum 4 cm pressure since that setting now feels way too low. I typically sleep only on my side, can't sleep well on my back at all so I don't think I back sleep much.

If 4 cm H2O feels "way too low" then I suggest jumping Min Pressure to 6.0 or at least 5.4 cm H2O.

If you are not sleeping on your back very much, that may be why your pressure does not go really high very much.

Lots of patients who had been pretty sure they were never sleeping on their back have discovered (though infrared photography) that they occasionally roll onto their back while asleep and that is when the CPAP machine raises the pressure so high.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't put much faith in the "narrow throat" hypothesis. It might be right, it might not.

The important thing is do you have apnea and do you fix it with CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all,
We upped the starting pressure to 6. I know part of it is anatomical as I have to have the dentist put in props to hold my mouth open when they need to work at the back of my mouth for too long (i.e. had a filling on back molar replaced and a crown due to cracked tooth from old filling). And I know I have a mallampati score of II/III so I know there isn't a lot of space there. We'll see what time shows and see if there is any other contributing factor after having some more thyroid tests done!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I am new too - I had the home sleep test in mid-December and got the results 12/26 though my results were not as detailed as yours.

I am writing because I, too, never had trouble falling asleep, have a small crowded mouth and discovered I had growths on my thyroid. One cannot help but wonder if these or a combination of them contribute to the fatigue. I only just got my machine last night so I only have one night of data - 4 events per hour, 5.6 was the air flow (terminology may be wrong?) with the setting being between 4-14.

Seems to be a great deal of informed helpful people here so hang in there and Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 391 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 617 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.