Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - need info on central apneas and other questions...
RE: Newbie - need info on central apneas and other questions...
(11-19-2015, 03:50 AM)arminio Wrote: And what bothers me most is again CA - last night I had 9 of them! And that is almost half of value I had during sleep study (20)! And 9 of them disperse during approx. 4 hour of sleep while on my slep study i had 20 during approx 6 hour of sleep.

CA's are common during the "getting used to" phase of PAP therapy, and that usually takes at least a month or so. Your AHI remains below 5, so it isn't time to panic. Also the length of any apnea episode is important, but you don't mention that. If these are 10 second CA's they are probably not all that important. If they go over 20 seconds you should perhaps mention that to your doctor. Also these events often happen while you are not asleep yet, in which case they should be ignored.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
with respect to feeling better even though AHI is higher - remember, If you are not in deep sleep AHI can be low, but sleep still not optimal! I have found that as my body trusts that it may sleep more deeply, I have a higher AHI, but deeper more restful sleep. AHI is one datapoint among several Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was better - lower AHI (3.2) but stil 8 CAs for 5 hours of sleep (lower number of OA and HA reduced AHI from 4 to 3.2)

I checked duration and CAs are mostly 10-13 seconds long. Last night most of them were clustered close and somewhere in the middle of sleep time - and mostly after some minor mask leaks when pressure was around 9-10... Could be that I turned around in bed...

Anyway, even doctors told me that primary I need to feel better and then check AHI Smile

But, you know, when you see some numbers, you can't help yourself Sad

Well, I'll continue to monitor CAs and see how'll things go in days (nights Smile ) that follow. My main worry is that I am starting to have more CA's instead less of them - which is now the case! At sleep study I had 20 in 5 and half hours (but that was nothing comparing to OA+HA that goes over 200), while at the beggining of therapy I had 3, 4, 5, even 0 CA in 4-5 hours of sleep - and now after 2 weeks on CPAP, CA started to occurs more - up to 8-9 times in 5 hours which makes me worried a bit because looks like number of CA increasing instead decreasing... Sad

Also, just out of curiosity, I asked my "medical dealer" that provide me with S9 AutoSet I use, is it possible to get BiLevel version - and answer is: unfortunatelly, not for now because BiLevel machines are not covered by any medical insirance in my country, and also, doctors here does not prescribe them due to that fact and the fact that patient must have really bad case of CA just to consider that option... I hope I am not in that category (and according to sleep study, looks like I am not?).

Post Reply Post Reply
Arminio, I don't think your centrals are any reason to fret. The numbers are so low it doesn't even count as a clinical condition. (8 events in 5 hours sleep is only 1.6). It's time to relax and go with the flow. Your overall numbers are good but they will jump around a bit while you adjust to the machine. I suggest you don't look at the numbers for a week, then see what the overall trend is.

Sometimes we obsess about the numbers and forget that the object is to have a restful sleep. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2015, 05:15 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Sometimes we obsess about the numbers and forget that the object is to have a restful sleep. Wink

Exactly! And exactly what my doctor told me Smile
And in last few days I really become obsessed with thinking "what AHI will be tomorrow" and "will CA be more or less than last night" - instead sleeping and be relaxed. Rolleyes

Definitelly not good way to fight apnea...

Thank you all for lot of support and tips!

I will continue with my CA related posts here if needed in days to follow, and because I have a lot of other questions about CPAP, I'll start another threads because other thing about CPAP therapy that interrests me are not CA related... Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 213 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 382 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 179 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,671 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 341 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,577 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 218 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.