Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie needing a little help
Newbie needing a little help
Hi everyone. First of all, I am new to the forum and new to CPAP. Been on it for 9 days now. I have the Res Med S-9 CPAP with the H5i humidifier, Res Med Mirage Quattro full face mask. My programmed setting is 7 and I'm ramping from 4. I have been reading here that you can track your own progress?? How do I do this? There is a data card in the rear of my machine. Do I have to mess with that?? I know that the supplier of the machine wants to read the card in 30 days to check my progress and also for the insurance company requirements. (They are looking for at least 70% compliance in the 30 days). The insurance company picked up 100% of the cost of the machine and accessories so I dont think I should mess with anything for at least 30 days but I would love to track my progress. Looking forward to talking to others on the forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie needing a little help
hello hammerman1201
all S9 machines record compliance for insurance
only S9 Autoset and S9 Elite are data capable amchines
S9 Escape and Escape Auto (just AHI) are not .. just shows how many hours using the machine each night to meet insurance requirements

look next to start button ... would tell you what model you have

Post Reply Post Reply
if you find you have an S9 Escape ... see your doctor or and supplier asap to have the machine replaced with S9 Elite (preferably S9 Autoset)

on the other hand if its S9 Elite than you can view your data include AHI and leak on the machine sleep report and Resscan or SleepyHead software. you can download both from this site

you can also ask for the manual which tells you everything you need to know together with this video setup
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hammerman1201 and WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. Looking by the power button it shows I have the Elite. So glad I can track. Smile I'm going to download one of the programs and try it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 09:58 PM)hammerman1201 Wrote: Thanks for the responses. Looking by the power button it shows I have the Elite. So glad I can track. Smile I'm going to download one of the programs and try it out.
good luck. please update your profile to show S9 Elite
check the "Sleep Quality" set to ON (not Usage) to show efficacy data on the machine sleep report and on the card
otherwise if set on Usage would only shows hours used

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 09:58 PM)hammerman1201 Wrote: Thanks for the responses. Looking by the power button it shows I have the Elite. So glad I can track. Smile I'm going to download one of the programs and try it out.

Hi hammerman1201, welcome to Apnea Board!

Here's the link with instructions for how to obtain the software for free, if you need it:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

You can use either ResScan or SleepyHead or both. You'll need an SD card reader on your personal computer.

Also, just so you know, full face masks (FFM) are notorious for leaking, which can negatively affect your treatment. Never quite understood why professionals give patients one before trying a standard nasal mask or nasal pillows system. Dont-know Seems to be a lot of folks lately that are given a FFM for some reason.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, Thanks. I will check the setting. Updated my profile for the machine.

Super Sleeper, The FFM was my choice. I tried both during my sleep study and I found it hard to sleep with my mouth fully closed. Believe me , I would much rather have the nasal one. The FFM was/is kind of hard to get used to. I feel like I am being suffocated and it makes me panic sometimes and I take it off altogether. The rep who set me up with the machine said to get myself used to it by wearing it while I am awake 2 hours or so before I go to sleep. This has helped some but I still find myself panicing and removing the mask just to calm myself down before either putting it back on or leaving it off the rest of the night. When I have been sleeping with it on all night I feel great in the morning. Wide awake and My lungs feel wide open and I breathe without wheezing. Right now, I am at the point where I sleep with it about 90% of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 10:38 PM)hammerman1201 Wrote: Right now, I am at the point where I sleep with it about 90% of the night.

90% of the time is pretty good for a new patient. Many folks can only wear the CPAP mask for a few hours each night at first.

Sleep-well
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2012, 10:38 PM)hammerman1201 Wrote: I feel like I am being suffocated and it makes me panic sometimes and I take it off altogether.

Hi Hammerman1201, Welcome

The panicky feeling is not uncommon, if you'll turn the Ramp OFF so you'll get the full 7 cm of airflow and it won't seem like you're suffocating, I have the same mask too so I can relate.

If you just put the mask on and sit there breathing with the S9 turned-off you'll see, you will not suffocate, I've woke-up a couple of times during a power outage and the only thing that happens is a lot of humidity creates moisture inside the mask, it's just hard at first to convince your brain you won't suffocate.

Good luck, if you have any more questions you know where to ask!

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 158 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.