Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie needs Help
Newbie needs Help
Hi!

New to the Board, OSA, and CPAPs.

After many years of listening to my spouse complain about my snoring and stopping breathing while sleeping I talked to my doctor who sent me to a sleep clinic. Imagine my surprise when I found out recently that I had this weird condition named OSA and it was pretty severe (AHI score 42). I simply had no idea. Mind you I have been getting more and more tired for the last 4-5 years, feeling in fact significantly more tired than my age should reflect.

So now I proudly own something I had no clue about a few months ago - a shinny new Fisher & Paykel Icon Premo set to 9 cm H2O and a nasal pillow mask. And I have been using them religiously for the past 3 weeks (100% compliance - and proud of it). Please don't take this as an endorsement of the equipment - I have no idea if it's any good relative to anything else - it's the first units I own and seems to do an adequate job of pumping me full of air (not that I need any additional hot air).

However the AHI has been all over the place. From an AHI of 4 to high 20s - depending on the night. What could be causing this erratic behavior in the AHI? I recently (yesterday) disengaged the SensiWake feature of the machine and will try for a week without it to see if the results stabilize. I brought the data back to the place I bought the machine and they confirmed that air leakage is not the problem (it is well within permitted range). Mind you the tech seemed to only have a basic grasp of the topic and probably more interested in sales.

Any thoughts, words of encouragement, motivational speeches or profound words of wisdom are greatly welcome.

This is a journey I never planned on embarking and will need your support along the way.

Many thanks for your time!
Sedona
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie needs Help
Hi Sedona79,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great that you have used your machine every night for the past three weeks.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck with your therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2012, 10:58 PM)Sedona79 Wrote: Hi!

New to the Board, OSA, and CPAPs.

After many years of listening to my spouse complain about my snoring and stopping breathing while sleeping I talked to my doctor who sent me to a sleep clinic. Imagine my surprise when I found out recently that I had this weird condition named OSA and it was pretty severe (AHI score 42). I simply had no idea. Mind you I have been getting more and more tired for the last 4-5 years, feeling in fact significantly more tired than my age should reflect.

So now I proudly own something I had no clue about a few months ago - a shinny new Fisher & Paykel Icon Premo set to 9 cm H2O and a nasal pillow mask. And I have been using them religiously for the past 3 weeks (100% compliance - and proud of it). Please don't take this as an endorsement of the equipment - I have no idea if it's any good relative to anything else - it's the first units I own and seems to do an adequate job of pumping me full of air (not that I need any additional hot air).

However the AHI has been all over the place. From an AHI of 4 to high 20s - depending on the night. What could be causing this erratic behavior in the AHI? I recently (yesterday) disengaged the SensiWake feature of the machine and will try for a week without it to see if the results stabilize. I brought the data back to the place I bought the machine and they confirmed that air leakage is not the problem (it is well within permitted range). Mind you the tech seemed to only have a basic grasp of the topic and probably more interested in sales.

Any thoughts, words of encouragement, motivational speeches or profound words of wisdom are greatly welcome.

This is a journey I never planned on embarking and will need your support along the way.

Many thanks for your time!
Sedona
Hi Sedona, Sounds like you are on top of your therapy now and that is what counts! My first suggestion would be to find some software compatible with your equipment. Others will post shortly I'm sure. You may need a pressure increase which your Doctor can prescribe. I am not familiar with your machine but if it has an Auto Mode that would be ideal as it could be set for as example, 7-14cm. That would show if your obstruction issues need more pressure to keep your airways open. Be sure to have a Doctor diagnose the need, not the Tech! Hope this helps, welcome to the Forum!

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, Looks like your machine uses InfoSmart™ Software. However, it does not have an Auto pressure feature which is important. Your Icon Premo can only be set for a set pressure. If you have the ability to upgrade to the Icon Auto I would suggest that seeing you are only 3 weeks into your therapy. There are other Auto machines also that your supplier may have. With AHI's in the high 20's you should move quickly to get those numbers down. Auto machines allow for pressure settings to be variable instead of a set pressure. An Auto will increase pressure only when you need it, then go back down when you don't. Hope this helps!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
whats the permitted range?
you need to bring it up on your next followup with the sleep doctor
hoping disengaging sensawke works for you
hows your sleep quality ... are you sleeping right thru the night
any problems with nasal congestion or/and mouth leaks

Icon setup video
http://vimeo.com/20560260

the manual available via Email ... scroll down to section three
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

see post #4 infosmart report and post #5 infosmart glossary
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Questions

you maybe able to get the software from one of the suppliers (need to check out and let you know which one)
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Sleep-well 007 ... Too-funny

Edit: check supplier 26 for infosmart software ... $89

Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest thing against the Icon machines is the software. You can get it but it costs. Do you have the InfoUSB whatever? I guess it is some sort of card or attachment that the DME uses to view your data.

Talk to your doctor to see if you can upgrade to the Icon Auto or some other brand of Auto. The reason is that an autoPAP is set to a range of pressure and, as you need or don't need it, the pressure can change. This will also help the doctor (and you!) find out how your treatment is going. If the doc does not "believe" in Auto, consider switching to another brand so you can get better software (better as in free).

Just avoid any Respironics with "Plus" in the name and any ResMed with "Escape" in the name.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As for the weird AHI, usually that is related to leaks. But if the tech says the leaks are acceptable, then obviously it is something else. Unless the tech is an idiot.

No two nights are the same. Take a look at the numbers and see if you can find any kind of patter. High AHI after a few beers at dinner? Or low AHI on a day where work went well?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 12:34 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Talk to your doctor to see if you can upgrade to the Icon Auto or some other brand of Auto.

If you change CPAP machines, try to get a Philips Respironics or ResMed S9 machine. Icon machines do not record airflow waveforms, which are the most powerful tool to figure out how to treat your apnea.

There is also free software you can get to see your own data on those machines.

Unfortunately, doctors and other members of the medical mafia really frown upon patients looking at their own data.

It might be worthwhile trying different pressure settings and seeing what happens at slightly different pressures.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2012, 11:38 PM)2Tim215 Wrote: Okay, Looks like your machine uses InfoSmart™ Software. However, it does not have an Auto pressure feature which is important. Your Icon Premo can only be set for a set pressure. If you have the ability to upgrade to the Icon Auto I would suggest that seeing you are only 3 weeks into your therapy. There are other Auto machines also that your supplier may have. With AHI's in the high 20's you should move quickly to get those numbers down. Auto machines allow for pressure settings to be variable instead of a set pressure. An Auto will increase pressure only when you need it, then go back down when you don't. Hope this helps!

Tim - Thank you for the reply. I will look into the software as soon as I am sure I will keep this machine. In terms of APAP vs CPAP - I live in Canada and we have a combination of government assistance and private insurance to pay for the unit. The prescription was for a CPAP from the sleep clinic / doctor - I'm sure the insurance company would find an excuse to conveniently not pay for the unit if I purchased an APAP. So far I don't have too many issues with the unit - however I am not sure how well the humidifier is working. On full setting how much humidification should it be generating?

(11-24-2012, 11:51 PM)zonk Wrote: whats the permitted range?
you need to bring it up on your next followup with the sleep doctor
hoping disengaging sensawke works for you
hows your sleep quality ... are you sleeping right thru the night
any problems with nasal congestion or/and mouth leaks

Sleep-well 007 ... Too-funny

Edit: check supplier 26 for infosmart software ... $89

Great info! Greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2012, 12:34 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The biggest thing against the Icon machines is the software. You can get it but it costs. Do you have the InfoUSB whatever? I guess it is some sort of card or attachment that the DME uses to view your data.

Talk to your doctor to see if you can upgrade to the Icon Auto or some other brand of Auto. The reason is that an autoPAP is set to a range of pressure and, as you need or don't need it, the pressure can change. This will also help the doctor (and you!) find out how your treatment is going. If the doc does not "believe" in Auto, consider switching to another brand so you can get better software (better as in free).

Just avoid any Respironics with "Plus" in the name and any ResMed with "Escape" in the name.

Great advice - thank you. I am comfortable with the machine and like it for travel - I travel a ton for my job. It's fairly convenient for that task and feels significantly more robust than some of the competitor machines (mind you this is a personal perspective and nothing more - just because it feels like a tank doesn't mean it will last). I will definetly look into an APAP if the AHI crazy results don't stop.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 378 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 129 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.