Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie needs advice please.
Newbie needs advice please.
Hi, I have had cpap for about 8 years now, but I've noticed I'm waking up feeling like I havnt been using my cpap...extremely tired,weak, feels like I'm a bit drunk and feeling reallytubbush, but I'm using my cpap religiously. Told my CPAP nurse and she wasnt concerned.  I've got one of those finger oximeters that measure your oxygen levels and I've noticed that when in bed and with my cpap on, my oxygen level is dropping to 92%. It is never normally this low, and whilst 92% isn't dangerously low I'm wondering just what is it dropping to once I'm asleep?
I really wish I had something to measure my oxygen levels when im asleep but the only thing I could find was well over £100 and sadly I  cant afford it.  I did try keeping the oximeter on my finger all night but it's near on impossible as it falls off etc but I did wake to see a reading of 88%.  I have a strong feeling I'm feeling so unwell because I'm struggling to get enough oxygen at night. My cpap nurse tells me that CPAP machines dont tell you your oxygen levels so she cant help.  I really dont know what t to do, has anyone else experienced thisxx
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie needs advice please.
As far as O2 meter you can buy on eBay a cms 50f for 75 US dollars. You can wear all night and download it to software that comes with it. You also should be able to have the Dr prescribe it.

To be able to tell anything about your pap therapy you need to download OSCAR at the top of this site. ( free for everything on this site) Then post to this site the OSCAR charts and ask for suggestions.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
could be a lot of things I suppose so idk if this applies to you, but sometimes I wake up feeling weak and shaky, not visibly but on the inside, if that makes any sense. it goes away after a few minutes. I attribute it to my p10 mask vents not working as they should, making me rebreathe too much co2. cleaning works for a while but eventually not and then it's time to get a new mask.

feeling like you're not getting enough air could also mean your pressure is set too low. you'd need to provide info about your machine and settings, and better - some oscar charts to see what's going on. see the black banner at top of this page to find the free oscar reporting software.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the aspects of apnea is that it might cause lower oxygen levels. Less efficient breathing from apnea events may also be the reason for the fatigue. Why when you're already in PAP therapy? A possible answer is PAP therapy is not optimized for YOU. Think clothing that isn't your size but it's expected to be OK. Doctors expect PAP therapy to be one-size-fits-all or to be cookie cutter. Default therapy settings are likely an issue with you. I'd suggest getting OSCAR and posting sleep data. Your PAP machine will need an SD card in standard SD or SDHC, 2-32GB capacity, and any brand to save data. It needs inserted in the PAP before you sleep or the data for that session is lost. Help us in the meantime by identifying your PAP machine. And if your oxygen is less than 89% for 5 or more minutes, this is a situation that needs addressed with doc pretty soon. This is potentially more serious than Nurse wants to admit to; call doc and/or get an appointment and demand attention. Note that all along this post, I say possible because we don't have any data yet. Hope the suggestions help a bit, and welcome to Apnea Board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2020, 02:44 PM)Honeybea Wrote: I've got one of those finger oximeters that measure your oxygen levels and I've noticed that when in bed and with my cpap on, my oxygen level is dropping to 92%.
This is NOT a problem.

but I did wake to see a reading of 88%. 
88% is not a problem, but extended time at this level certainly is.   Ask your Doc about an overnight monitoring of your O2 Levels to eliminate it as a problem based on you unofficial reading of 88%.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am in the UK and our Dr's don't prescribe anything like this sadly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a AirSense 10 autoset…..the trouble here in the UK is that we are never shown how to use the settings on our machines. We know how to turn it on and off and that is it, so I can't adjust or read anything on the machine as I wouldn't know how to.  We have to go and see a CPAP nurse once every 6 months or a year and she downloads the SD card to her computer and tells us we are doing fine or we need a new mask etc etc.

I am sitting oxygen wise at 90% to 92% with the machine on and whilst awake. I have never had my oxygen levels go this low, they are always 96% and above.  I did wake up one night and spotted I was a 88% but this is just with the finger probe where you actually have to be awake and look at what your oxygen level is, well that's now good as I want to see how low they are dropping whilst i'm asleep.  I am still now sure what device will do this for me and our Dr's would never prescribe anything like this for us.   

This morning I took my mask off about 6am as it keeps leaking air and is very uncomfortable...I fell back to sleep without the CPAP and I dreamt that I was dying as I couldn't breathe, I was suffocating...I then woke up after a couple of hours and I was gasping for air, I feel drunk, dizzy and unwell...I walked to the bathroom staggering like a drunk..i never used to be this bad and I wonder what is going on.  They won't do any tests unless its an emergency due to Covid, but I feel absolutely awful now, really unwell.   My cpap nurse tells me the machines don't tell her our oxygen levels, I wish it would.  I feel the only way to sort this out is for me to find a device that will record my oxygen levels while I sleep, but im not a well off person and they all seem very expensive, plus I dont' know what to buy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply Stacey, I looked for the product you suggested but they don't seem to sell them here in the UK. They were all from US or China, I don't buy from China and the US will cost me a lot more in the extra tax I have to pay.  Do you know anything similar that they may sell in the UK or what the full name of the device is please.  Thank you x
Post Reply Post Reply
The link in the top banner called CPAP Setup Manuals has most machine clinical manuals listed. Here's the link also. Just go and find your exact PAP model; you mentioned the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, that's what you'll look for. Request it and the Boss takes care of it shortly. I can say this, on a CPAP that is plugged in and otherwise ready to run, push and hold the Home button and Dial in for about 5 seconds. Here's the clinical menu to program the machine settings.

I don't know how your English medical system looks on you for changing settings. So look for other UK users to discuss the aspects on that.

Here's the manual Link. https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just searched for "UK cms 50f" and got back Amazon uk.   They have it I assume they are in the UK and no added tax.  Cost was 103 Pounds.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 176 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,542 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 111 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 173 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 465 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.