Newbie needs help with sinus weirdness..
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Newbie needs help with sinus weirdness..
(10-15-2014 11:06 AM)PollCat Wrote:  Whatever you do, do not use the inhalor immediately after using the rinse.

Don't do it the way around, either. You'll just flush out all the medicine.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-15-2014 12:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Olyhouse Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: ResMed H51
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 14
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(10-14-2014 09:18 PM)woozie38 Wrote:  [quote='Olyhouse' pid='87284' dateline='1413255564']

Hi Olyhouse, I too had this problem. I could sleep ok on my left side, but my nostril would block shortly after turning onto my right. The only remedies I could find is what other members have posted here, but wait - there's more. After a long long wait I got to see an ENT. This doc declared that my turbinates were "huge" and a resection would likely fix the problem. Long story short, I had the surgery & now can breather freely all day and through either nostril when sleeping on either side. My favored side is still my left, bit I think that's a matter of habit. The surgery was not as bad as I feared, so I would advise consulting an ENT because it wont get any better otherwise. The (six) turbinates are there to warm and humidify the air as we breathe in, but only the lower (inferior) pair can be re sectioned. It makes a huge difference!

Thanks Geoff! My initial research has shown exactly what you've shared here. I notice that I feel far more refreshed when I wake up breathing through my nose, so I'm off to get a referral for an ENT Dr. Question: Have you then switched to a nasal mask, or are you still using FFM? Thanks again! Smile
10-15-2014 12:21 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(10-15-2014 12:21 PM)Olyhouse Wrote:  Thanks Geoff! My initial research has shown exactly what you've shared here. I notice that I feel far more refreshed when I wake up breathing through my nose, so I'm off to get a referral for an ENT Dr.
Last year, I had surgery to fix deviated septum and the turbinates, the surgery did not help much at all. I would not go through it again or advice anyone to go through it either unless in extreme cases and all things tried and failed. Not all ENTs recommend the surgery but most of them do, surgery is their specialty
10-15-2014 06:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon + Auto
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 17 years of CPAP + supp. oxygen @ 3 L/min

(10-13-2014 09:59 PM)Olyhouse Wrote:  Thanks Geoff! My initial research has shown exactly what you've shared here. I notice that I feel far more refreshed when I wake up breathing through my nose, so I'm off to get a referral for an ENT Dr. Question: Have you then switched to a nasal mask, or are you still using FFM? Thanks again! Smile

Initially I used a nasal pillows mask, & in my opinion this is the best mask for continued efficient therapy. However, there then becomes the question of mouth leaks. Both oral and nasal passages end in the same airway so that PAP pressure via nose can & will escape via mouth. Stopping this effect, despite the use of a chin strap and mouth taping, soon became impossible. Therapy air escaping by mouth is very undesirable, so I switched to a FFM. This mask, used in conjunction with my "Wozle" (chin strap alternative I designed), produces the desired treatment. is comfortable and effective. BTW I did use all the nasal sprays suggested by other members but spays are ineffective against enlarged turbinates.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
10-15-2014 06:46 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(10-15-2014 06:25 PM)zonk Wrote:  Last year, I had surgery to fix deviated septum and the turbinates, the surgery did not help much at all. I would not go through it again or advice anyone to go through it either unless in extreme cases and all things tried and failed. Not all ENTs recommend the surgery but most of them do, surgery is their specialty

If you have chronic sinusitis that doesn't respond to the triple cocktails of antibiotics, decongestants, and antihistamines, then sinus surgery is your only hope.

The amount of relief you get varies. After surgery some people still get recurring sinusitis that responds to the antibiotics, and others don't.

I take antihistamines daily and now get sinusitis maybe once every two years or less. I rarely have to take decongestants but I will do it if I have congestion.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-15-2014 09:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(10-15-2014 06:25 PM)zonk Wrote:  Not all ENTs recommend the surgery but most of them do, surgery is their specialty
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

or

Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding
10-15-2014 10:51 PM
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon + Auto
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 17 years of CPAP + supp. oxygen @ 3 L/min

(10-15-2014 10:51 PM)zonk Wrote:  
(10-15-2014 06:25 PM)zonk Wrote:  Not all ENTs recommend the surgery but most of them do, surgery is their specialty
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail
or
Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding

I agree but in fairness to my ENT, he did insert a tiny fibre-optic camera in my nose and threaded it right down to the glottis. I watched the entire procedure on a monitor. In my case at least, the need for turbinate resection was obvious, even to me.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
10-16-2014 03:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Franklyspeaking Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S10 autosense
Mask Make & Model: Respironic blue gel mask
Humidifier: Resmed S10 autosense
CPAP Pressure: 4-18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Ever so often I have this happen, I usually poke a dab of Vicks in that nostril and by morning all is well. I make sure no Vicks touches the mask. This has always worked for me. Sleep-well
11-16-2014 11:39 AM
remscape808 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7.9

Other Comments:

I wonder, has anyone yet tried a dab of Vick's vaporizer liquid on a small patch of cloth laid close to the CPAP machine's intake? Would that even be safe?
11-16-2014 10:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

(11-16-2014 10:46 PM)remscape808 Wrote:  I wonder, has anyone yet tried a dab of Vick's vaporizer liquid on a small patch of cloth laid close to the CPAP machine's intake? Would that even be safe?

seems like a couple drops of eucalyptus on a cotton ball would be safer than vicks, which is a petroleum product.... (JMO) but I don't know in what proportion it would be safe either way
11-16-2014 11:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New to this. Airsense 10 & Sinus issues Caseous 6 452 10-17-2016 06:02 PM
Last Post: Sleeeppp
  Sinus Infections GingerMan512 3 452 09-22-2016 01:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  [Health] No CPAP During Sinus Surgery Recovery Sleepster 20 1,531 09-21-2016 07:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  newbie yossarian 14 732 09-01-2016 02:01 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  From a Newbie to a newbie PappinLikeABoss 11 1,052 08-22-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: chill
  Can too high pressure cause headache/sinus congestion? jen61 14 1,135 06-25-2016 10:23 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Sinus infection! chrysos 9 671 06-01-2016 05:36 PM
Last Post: richb