Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie needs help with sinus weirdness..
RE: Newbie needs help with sinus weirdness..
(10-15-2014, 11:06 AM)PollCat Wrote: Whatever you do, do not use the inhalor immediately after using the rinse.

Don't do it the way around, either. You'll just flush out all the medicine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 09:18 PM)woozie38 Wrote: [quote='Olyhouse' pid='87284' dateline='1413255564']

Hi Olyhouse, I too had this problem. I could sleep ok on my left side, but my nostril would block shortly after turning onto my right. The only remedies I could find is what other members have posted here, but wait - there's more. After a long long wait I got to see an ENT. This doc declared that my turbinates were "huge" and a resection would likely fix the problem. Long story short, I had the surgery & now can breather freely all day and through either nostril when sleeping on either side. My favored side is still my left, bit I think that's a matter of habit. The surgery was not as bad as I feared, so I would advise consulting an ENT because it wont get any better otherwise. The (six) turbinates are there to warm and humidify the air as we breathe in, but only the lower (inferior) pair can be re sectioned. It makes a huge difference!

Thanks Geoff! My initial research has shown exactly what you've shared here. I notice that I feel far more refreshed when I wake up breathing through my nose, so I'm off to get a referral for an ENT Dr. Question: Have you then switched to a nasal mask, or are you still using FFM? Thanks again! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2014, 12:21 PM)Olyhouse Wrote: Thanks Geoff! My initial research has shown exactly what you've shared here. I notice that I feel far more refreshed when I wake up breathing through my nose, so I'm off to get a referral for an ENT Dr.
Last year, I had surgery to fix deviated septum and the turbinates, the surgery did not help much at all. I would not go through it again or advice anyone to go through it either unless in extreme cases and all things tried and failed. Not all ENTs recommend the surgery but most of them do, surgery is their specialty

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 09:59 PM)Olyhouse Wrote: Thanks Geoff! My initial research has shown exactly what you've shared here. I notice that I feel far more refreshed when I wake up breathing through my nose, so I'm off to get a referral for an ENT Dr. Question: Have you then switched to a nasal mask, or are you still using FFM? Thanks again! Smile

Initially I used a nasal pillows mask, & in my opinion this is the best mask for continued efficient therapy. However, there then becomes the question of mouth leaks. Both oral and nasal passages end in the same airway so that PAP pressure via nose can & will escape via mouth. Stopping this effect, despite the use of a chin strap and mouth taping, soon became impossible. Therapy air escaping by mouth is very undesirable, so I switched to a FFM. This mask, used in conjunction with my "Wozle" (chin strap alternative I designed), produces the desired treatment. is comfortable and effective. BTW I did use all the nasal sprays suggested by other members but spays are ineffective against enlarged turbinates.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2014, 06:25 PM)zonk Wrote: Last year, I had surgery to fix deviated septum and the turbinates, the surgery did not help much at all. I would not go through it again or advice anyone to go through it either unless in extreme cases and all things tried and failed. Not all ENTs recommend the surgery but most of them do, surgery is their specialty

If you have chronic sinusitis that doesn't respond to the triple cocktails of antibiotics, decongestants, and antihistamines, then sinus surgery is your only hope.

The amount of relief you get varies. After surgery some people still get recurring sinusitis that responds to the antibiotics, and others don't.

I take antihistamines daily and now get sinusitis maybe once every two years or less. I rarely have to take decongestants but I will do it if I have congestion.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2014, 06:25 PM)zonk Wrote: Not all ENTs recommend the surgery but most of them do, surgery is their specialty
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

or

Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2014, 10:51 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 06:25 PM)zonk Wrote: Not all ENTs recommend the surgery but most of them do, surgery is their specialty
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail
or
Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding

I agree but in fairness to my ENT, he did insert a tiny fibre-optic camera in my nose and threaded it right down to the glottis. I watched the entire procedure on a monitor. In my case at least, the need for turbinate resection was obvious, even to me.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Ever so often I have this happen, I usually poke a dab of Vicks in that nostril and by morning all is well. I make sure no Vicks touches the mask. This has always worked for me. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder, has anyone yet tried a dab of Vick's vaporizer liquid on a small patch of cloth laid close to the CPAP machine's intake? Would that even be safe?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2014, 10:46 PM)remscape808 Wrote: I wonder, has anyone yet tried a dab of Vick's vaporizer liquid on a small patch of cloth laid close to the CPAP machine's intake? Would that even be safe?

seems like a couple drops of eucalyptus on a cotton ball would be safer than vicks, which is a petroleum product.... (JMO) but I don't know in what proportion it would be safe either way
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 527 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 111 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 189 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 285 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.