Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie on APAP need help with mask
Newbie on APAP need help with mask
Hi

About me
- Moderate Sleep apnea
- 6' height , 225lbs
- Mouth breathing
- Overbite
- Belly sleeper
- Severe allergies - pollen ragweed mold dustmites (you name it....)
- Related Surgeries : UPPP and Sinus(Deviated septum correction, sinusitis etc)

Started on Dreamstation APAP using Airfit P10 nasal pillows quickly discovered that needs a chin strap due to mouth breathing. tried several chin straps, was able to sleep a few nights with 5 hours, 7 hours etc with 1 break.

Switched to FFM Airfit F10, medium. I used it for a week. Could not fall asleep with it, there was issues with leaks and my nose and face constantly itching. Also, some of the cushion was covering my corners of lips and the bottom part of the cushion is soft and my chin would slide out of it.

Called DME again and now they have mailed me a Large sized Amara view. I am a bit frustrated with this however, going to give it my best shot to figure out this therapy.

Please let me know if I am in the right direction or need to try something else or am missing something

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie on APAP need help with mask
Hi hunt4sleep,

Welcome

Your profile indicates that your machine's pressure range is set wide open. This can be a cause for some of what you're experiencing. What does SleepyHead tell you about your sessions? (AHI, pressure values at Median and 95 Percentile)
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hunt4sleep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy so don't be shy about asking to try as many masks as you need to, 'till you find one that works for you.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
to prevent itching, shave just before bed. This drove me crazy until I figured out what caused it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2016, 11:05 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi hunt4sleep,

Welcome

Your profile indicates that your machine's pressure range is set wide open. This can be a cause for some of what you're experiencing. What does SleepyHead tell you about your sessions? (AHI, pressure values at Median and 95 Percentile)

My Sleepyhead values are all over the place, however I am now looking at session only 4 hours and above and they are below, I am guessing thats because of allergies and different masks

Date AHI Median 95percentile
4/9 1.85 4.00 8.00
4/11 1.69 6.4 7.9
4/12 0.53 5.4 8.00
4/14 3.42 6.00 8.5
4/15 2.64 6.2 9.1
4/21 3.20 10.6 13.5
4/26 0.49 11.5 15.6
4/28 3.42 11.2 13.6
4/29 1.47 10.4 12.9
4/30 2.76 15.6 16.80

Thanks for all the help and encouragement both of you

(05-03-2016, 08:22 PM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: to prevent itching, shave just before bed. This drove me crazy until I figured out what caused it.

The itching is not on the chin area its on the nose bridge and surrounding area, not a beard issue, I shave daily
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Amara View and love it, it does however take some practice to get it seated correctly
1. that little strip near the breathing slot should sit flat against your upper lip and not against the bottom of you nose
2. it is quite sensitive to strap pressure, to get it right do your final adjustments 1/8" at a time
3. the mask likes to be fairly lose, to tight and it will tend to leak
4. it does not need to be pulled up under you nose, the mask seals around your nose from the sides and front when you turn on the pressure and not by being pushed up under your nose
5. the little nose cup goes over the tip of your nose, not way up and down under
6. I get my nose positioned and then rock the mouth part in place
7. once you turn on the air, I pull the mask slightly away from my face to let the silicon seal inflate and then set it back down

Once you get the hang of it, I think you will like it. I can even yawn and slide my chin right back into the mask
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got the Amara View to fit me after finding their fitting guide (only took two months).

This is a link to a fitting guide PDF, which I used.
It is over on [removed DME commercial link - instead please refer to Supplier #1 on the Supplier List] for Amara View under the "Important Tips" tab.

https://5faacd0c97cf0d23c6dc-064f3cd61bc...-guide.pdf

I used to have their Medium mask, but I had a lot of leaks. It turns out, I needed the Small size.

The one thing I do different is to put it over my mouth first then let it settle up under my nose when the machine turns on. (It does touch the corners of the lips.)

Belly sleeping? Because of the minimal strap pressure, my mask tends to slip against the pillow.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

Post Reply Post Reply
Granted I am only 3 weeks into my bipap life, I have pretty high pressure, and I have noticed that this mask like to be loosely fitted. It seems that I get the majority of my leaks while side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 88 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 205 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.