Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

RE: Newbie question about cleaning in sink
Just don't let go of that sucker.... The "cat" (machine) on the other end of that hose could kill someone!
05-23-2015 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
MobileBasset Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AIRCURVE 10 V Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher Paykel Zest
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 10 (minE 6,maxI 12, PS 3)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(05-23-2015 12:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Speaking of residuals, in many municipal water systems there remains a chlorine residual that is actually high enough to use without adding any more. Provided you don't heat it first. It dissipates rather quickly when exposed to air as well. And, unless you have a nifty test kit you don't really know if it's there or not. Which brings us back to add a couple of drops of laundry bleach to the water and you're good to go.

The concentration of chlorine in municipal systems is very low and is designed to work over a longish period of time while the water sits in water towers and delivery lines. To sanitize a hose in a short amount of time a little stronger concentration is necessary.

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
05-23-2015 01:07 PM
Joedozer Offline

Members

Machine: resmed air10 autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P simplus
Humidifier: built in
CPAP Pressure: was 18 now 11-20

Other Comments: 18 Pressure Too much all night.Average about 14 now.

(05-23-2015 12:44 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I use 5% white vinegar. Rinse and dry. I sling the hose like a cat by the tail to get the water out.

MEOW say what MEOW
05-23-2015 03:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

(05-22-2015 09:58 PM)rogue01 Wrote:  I watched the resmed videos when I went to pick up my machine last week.

Both the videos and DME said to clean the hose, tank, etc in sink/basin.

Now, I shave, brush my teeth, wash my hands, etc etc in my bathroom room sink. Consequently, I use some pretty heavy duty bathroom cleaners to clean and disinfect it (e.g., Lysol, etc.).

For those of you who use your bathroom sink, what do you use to clean your sink and what, if any, precautions do you recommend taking to ensure those harsh (and toxic) chemicals do not wind up contaminating your equipment?

I have thought about buying a large glass mixing bowl or something similar to use for just for cleaning/soaking my gear. I have been using a small glass bowl filled with Johnson and Johnson head-to-toe baby wash (which I hope is ok) for the nasal pillows on a daily basis.

I know this may be over to top to some; but having had pneumonia several years back (and having my father pass away at a fairly young age a few years ago of pneumonia), I definitely do not to do anything to cause myself to have any more respiratory issues.

I don't ever use harsh or toxic chemicals in either my bathroom or kitchen. They are generally unnecessary and poisonous to you, pets or visiting children. I DO use either a food safe kitchen cleaner or Dawn Dishwashing detergent. I get a food safe concentrate from a restaurant supply house and fill spray bottles for cleaning, but many use Simple Green. For washing the floor, I put 10 drops of Dawn Dishwashing detergent into a warm bucket of water and swish (no bubbles required).

I have no recommendation for cleaning your equipment as I'm a newbie and would defer to the experienced. :
05-23-2015 03:47 PM
rogue01 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AutoSense 10 Auto Set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Integrated w/ Climate Line
CPAP Pressure: 7.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Thanks for all the feedback. I liked the dish pan idea and had an idea similar but couldn't think of the name. I picked one up this morning--18qt plastic from Walmart for less than $3.00. I also picked up a kids tooth brush while I was at it.

A couple of quick questions:

I've seen a few recommendations for Dawn dish soap or Vinegar. Is there any reason not to use the Johnson and Johnson Head-to-Toe baby wash?
I also have some Costco (Kirkland) eco friendly dish soap as well. Is this okay if the baby wash is not recommended?

How much time should I give the hoses to dry out? I'd like to get an idea of how late I can start this process and still have clean and dry hoses for bedtime ~9:30-10:30 PM. I don't have a hose hanger, so they would be sitting on a clean towel.

Thanks again.

Everyone has been very generous with their help. Smile
05-23-2015 04:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trailrider Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: A10 Autoset for Her
Mask Make & Model: Eson or P10
Humidifier: autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-12 DME, 7-13 me
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: engineer. EPR at 3, unheated hose, humidity at 2. Routine hose entanglement.

After you have rinsed it out, close the shower curtain and twirl it around to get out most of the water. Then go back and hook it up to your machine and run mask fit for a few minutes. It will blow the water out. Aim it at the cat for interesting response.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2015 04:32 PM by trailrider.)
05-23-2015 04:31 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

(05-23-2015 04:03 PM)rogue01 Wrote:  Thanks for all the feedback. I liked the dish pan idea and had an idea similar but couldn't think of the name. I picked one up this morning--18qt plastic from Walmart for less than $3.00. I also picked up a kids tooth brush while I was at it.

A couple of quick questions:

I've seen a few recommendations for Dawn dish soap or Vinegar. Is there any reason not to use the Johnson and Johnson Head-to-Toe baby wash?
I also have some Costco (Kirkland) eco friendly dish soap as well. Is this okay if the baby wash is not recommended?

How much time should I give the hoses to dry out? I'd like to get an idea of how late I can start this process and still have clean and dry hoses for bedtime ~9:30-10:30 PM. I don't have a hose hanger, so they would be sitting on a clean towel. I don't see any problem with what you are already using. I don't think baby wash has oil in it, so should clean just fine.

Thanks again.

Everyone has been very generous with their help. Smile

Don't use Dawn Dishwashing soap to clean your mask. Apparently, it reacts with the silicone in some masks. Dawn is actually an industrial cleaner, so maybe too much for your cpap things. I'm using 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water for now. A couple of retailers recommended Ivory Clear or Palmolive (again, I see nothing wrong with the baby wash as your option).
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2015 06:40 PM by Mosquitobait.)
05-23-2015 06:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

Dawn is not an industrial cleaner even if some industries are using it as such. I use nothing but Dawn on my silicone cushions and the rest of my mask. I have had no problem and get long life from the silicone. Vinegar is more likely to be too much for your silicone stuff but a lot of people use it with no problem. Baby shampoo should be fine too.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-23-2015 07:53 PM
bronty Offline

Members

Machine: PR System One RemStar AutoSV Advanced (950) with Humidifier
Mask Make & Model: Wisp (M)
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 8-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS50F SPo2, SoClean2, Hibernate Hose

I am a germ freak so I am freak cautious around the sinks. I use distilled water in the humidifier only. I let the humidifier tub soak in 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts distiller water once weekly. I use the soclean 2 product daily and it gives me a place to store my mask during the day. I wash my nasal mask out daily and air dry it before it goes into the so clean. Someone mentioned a dryer unit I looked at that I might get.
05-23-2015 08:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Dafod Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or PR1 560
Mask Make & Model: Resmed P10, Amara View
Humidifier: Yes
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments:

Only just started using a flow machine but I daily only soap up my hands with a cake of decent soap and then use the suds to under a tap on my pillow (P10). I then let it dry during the day as I cycle two pillows. I simply dump out my water in the humidifier daily and refill in the evening. I am not too fussed but I certainly am not keen to do a stronger approach or any anti-bacterial soaps. I also don't do anything with the hose.
05-24-2015 12:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  really confused newbie.. SKClay 9 226 Today 02:38 AM
Last Post: SKClay
  Cleaning Dream wear mask Judy1843 3 139 12-02-2016 07:13 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  Newbie Getting Sleepier! DrPearl 12 640 11-12-2016 04:17 PM
Last Post: DrPearl
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,188 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
  Water in hose after cleaning... JustMac 3 346 10-30-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP cleaning system Tommy C 97 62,458 10-20-2016 05:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo FormerFed 10 1,089 10-05-2016 03:37 AM
Last Post: archangle