Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie question about cleaning in sink
Newbie question about cleaning in sink
I watched the resmed videos when I went to pick up my machine last week.

Both the videos and DME said to clean the hose, tank, etc in sink/basin.

Now, I shave, brush my teeth, wash my hands, etc etc in my bathroom room sink. Consequently, I use some pretty heavy duty bathroom cleaners to clean and disinfect it (e.g., Lysol, etc.).

For those of you who use your bathroom sink, what do you use to clean your sink and what, if any, precautions do you recommend taking to ensure those harsh (and toxic) chemicals do not wind up contaminating your equipment?

I have thought about buying a large glass mixing bowl or something similar to use for just for cleaning/soaking my gear. I have been using a small glass bowl filled with Johnson and Johnson head-to-toe baby wash (which I hope is ok) for the nasal pillows on a daily basis.

I know this may be over to top to some; but having had pneumonia several years back (and having my father pass away at a fairly young age a few years ago of pneumonia), I definitely do not to do anything to cause myself to have any more respiratory issues.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie question about cleaning in sink
Yeah, I agree about not using the sink per se.

I use liquid soap or ivory hand soap with the shower head. I just hold everything and wash it and rinse it there then let it dry. A kitchen mixing bowl would work too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rogue01,
I clean my kitchen sink with clorox cleaner really well, then I Soak myy mask, hose and water chamber in warm, mild, soapy, Ivory Liquid,) water once a week.
Edit: If you don't like the sink idea, you could getcha one of those large plastic dishpans and soak your parts in that.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I only use distilled water in my tank so there is no build up in it. I rinse it out every couple days with hot water. I wipe my mask almost daily and take it apart and clean it every 2-3 weeks along with the tank (sometimes) in the 2nd guest bathroom which is used seldom. I make sure the sink is clean first. I use anti-bacterial soap sparingly.

The hose I don't bother doing anything with it. I use a 8ft regular hose now. Stopped using the heated hose in Jan or Feb as being unnecessary. Don't get rain out here.

Change the filter when needed, more often when the windows are open due to extra dust, much less during the summer when everything is closed up and AC is on most of the time.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply

where do you let your mask, hose, etc. dry?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 01:38 AM)me50 Wrote: where do you let your mask, hose, etc. dry?
There is the right way, wrong way, and my way ... This is my way:

After washing the hose, hooked it into the kitchen hot water tap for a final rinse, then give it a twirl and hang over the bedroom door
I dry everything else with a kitchen paper towel, I wash the cushion in the shower each morning, shake it a bit, let it rest on a clean paper towel and its dry by the end of the day. Having some spares is always a good idea

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2015, 10:46 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: getcha one of those large plastic dishpans and soak your parts in that.

That's the easiest and bestest way I think.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a large plastic dishpan which I dedicate to this task so I don't have to worry about what I used it for last. I wash the hose and larger plastic parts of the mask in it. I soak (weak chlorine solution) and dry the hose on a special "hose hanger" that I got from Supplier #1. It is not necessary but I like it a lot. The hose is secure and doesn't slip around and there are little caps that fit the hose ends for when I use the chlorine. I know we are told not to use chlorine but I want to be able to sanitize occasionally, I rinse very well and I have never had a hose wear out on me in 6 years.
I wash the cushion and silicon parts of my mask under the sink faucet while holding them in my hand. I use a drop of Johnson baby shampoo which I keep in a tiny bottle on the sink shelf. The drop goes on my finger and I work it gently all over the parts and then rinse directly under the faucet. Then I prop them on a dedicated small plastic tray to dry.
You are right to be very careful about pathogens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 08:34 AM)MobileBasset Wrote: I use a large plastic dishpan which I dedicate to this task so I don't have to worry about what I used it for last. I wash the hose and larger plastic parts of the mask in it. I soak (weak chlorine solution) and dry the hose on a special "hose hanger" that I got from Supplier #1. It is not necessary but I like it a lot. The hose is secure and doesn't slip around and there are little caps that fit the hose ends for when I use the chlorine. I know we are told not to use chlorine but I want to be able to sanitize occasionally, I rinse very well and I have never had a hose wear out on me in 6 years.
I wash the cushion and silicon parts of my mask under the sink faucet while holding them in my hand. I use a drop of Johnson baby shampoo which I keep in a tiny bottle on the sink shelf. The drop goes on my finger and I work it gently all over the parts and then rinse directly under the faucet. Then I prop them on a dedicated small plastic tray to dry.
You are right to be very careful about pathogens.

Chlorine (Laundry bleach) is actually fine, although a lot of the laundry bleaches are starting to have other stuff in it than just chlorine.. It's still after all these years the gold standard in sanitizing. Just use a little bit however, as in a smidgeon. It's very powerful stuff. And, as you are doing, rinse everything well when you're done to get rid of the residuals.

Speaking of residuals, in many municipal water systems there remains a chlorine residual that is actually high enough to use without adding any more. Provided you don't heat it first. It dissipates rather quickly when exposed to air as well. And, unless you have a nifty test kit you don't really know if it's there or not. Which brings us back to add a couple of drops of laundry bleach to the water and you're good to go.

...and while we're at it: A lot of folks like to use the little sink water filters to remove the residual chlorine from the tap water? Yeah, they work great, but quickly become a potential source of contaminated water. So if you use those, replace the filter quite regularly. I actually had a water district customer call me one day because he had things "swimming around" in his drinking water. I sent my guys out, and they discovered one of those nifty filters that had not been replace in years. Removed the filter, solved the problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use 5% white vinegar. Rinse and dry. I sling the hose like a cat by the tail to get the water out.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.