Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie question about cleaning in sink
RE: Newbie question about cleaning in sink
Just don't let go of that sucker.... The "cat" (machine) on the other end of that hose could kill someone!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 12:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Speaking of residuals, in many municipal water systems there remains a chlorine residual that is actually high enough to use without adding any more. Provided you don't heat it first. It dissipates rather quickly when exposed to air as well. And, unless you have a nifty test kit you don't really know if it's there or not. Which brings us back to add a couple of drops of laundry bleach to the water and you're good to go.

The concentration of chlorine in municipal systems is very low and is designed to work over a longish period of time while the water sits in water towers and delivery lines. To sanitize a hose in a short amount of time a little stronger concentration is necessary.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 12:44 PM)justMongo Wrote: I use 5% white vinegar. Rinse and dry. I sling the hose like a cat by the tail to get the water out.

MEOW say what MEOW
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2015, 09:58 PM)rogue01 Wrote: I watched the resmed videos when I went to pick up my machine last week.

Both the videos and DME said to clean the hose, tank, etc in sink/basin.

Now, I shave, brush my teeth, wash my hands, etc etc in my bathroom room sink. Consequently, I use some pretty heavy duty bathroom cleaners to clean and disinfect it (e.g., Lysol, etc.).

For those of you who use your bathroom sink, what do you use to clean your sink and what, if any, precautions do you recommend taking to ensure those harsh (and toxic) chemicals do not wind up contaminating your equipment?

I have thought about buying a large glass mixing bowl or something similar to use for just for cleaning/soaking my gear. I have been using a small glass bowl filled with Johnson and Johnson head-to-toe baby wash (which I hope is ok) for the nasal pillows on a daily basis.

I know this may be over to top to some; but having had pneumonia several years back (and having my father pass away at a fairly young age a few years ago of pneumonia), I definitely do not to do anything to cause myself to have any more respiratory issues.

I don't ever use harsh or toxic chemicals in either my bathroom or kitchen. They are generally unnecessary and poisonous to you, pets or visiting children. I DO use either a food safe kitchen cleaner or Dawn Dishwashing detergent. I get a food safe concentrate from a restaurant supply house and fill spray bottles for cleaning, but many use Simple Green. For washing the floor, I put 10 drops of Dawn Dishwashing detergent into a warm bucket of water and swish (no bubbles required).

I have no recommendation for cleaning your equipment as I'm a newbie and would defer to the experienced. :
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the feedback. I liked the dish pan idea and had an idea similar but couldn't think of the name. I picked one up this morning--18qt plastic from Walmart for less than $3.00. I also picked up a kids tooth brush while I was at it.

A couple of quick questions:

I've seen a few recommendations for Dawn dish soap or Vinegar. Is there any reason not to use the Johnson and Johnson Head-to-Toe baby wash?
I also have some Costco (Kirkland) eco friendly dish soap as well. Is this okay if the baby wash is not recommended?

How much time should I give the hoses to dry out? I'd like to get an idea of how late I can start this process and still have clean and dry hoses for bedtime ~9:30-10:30 PM. I don't have a hose hanger, so they would be sitting on a clean towel.

Thanks again.

Everyone has been very generous with their help. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
After you have rinsed it out, close the shower curtain and twirl it around to get out most of the water. Then go back and hook it up to your machine and run mask fit for a few minutes. It will blow the water out. Aim it at the cat for interesting response.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 04:03 PM)rogue01 Wrote: Thanks for all the feedback. I liked the dish pan idea and had an idea similar but couldn't think of the name. I picked one up this morning--18qt plastic from Walmart for less than $3.00. I also picked up a kids tooth brush while I was at it.

A couple of quick questions:

I've seen a few recommendations for Dawn dish soap or Vinegar. Is there any reason not to use the Johnson and Johnson Head-to-Toe baby wash?
I also have some Costco (Kirkland) eco friendly dish soap as well. Is this okay if the baby wash is not recommended?

How much time should I give the hoses to dry out? I'd like to get an idea of how late I can start this process and still have clean and dry hoses for bedtime ~9:30-10:30 PM. I don't have a hose hanger, so they would be sitting on a clean towel. I don't see any problem with what you are already using. I don't think baby wash has oil in it, so should clean just fine.

Thanks again.

Everyone has been very generous with their help. Smile

Don't use Dawn Dishwashing soap to clean your mask. Apparently, it reacts with the silicone in some masks. Dawn is actually an industrial cleaner, so maybe too much for your cpap things. I'm using 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water for now. A couple of retailers recommended Ivory Clear or Palmolive (again, I see nothing wrong with the baby wash as your option).
Post Reply Post Reply
Dawn is not an industrial cleaner even if some industries are using it as such. I use nothing but Dawn on my silicone cushions and the rest of my mask. I have had no problem and get long life from the silicone. Vinegar is more likely to be too much for your silicone stuff but a lot of people use it with no problem. Baby shampoo should be fine too.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a germ freak so I am freak cautious around the sinks. I use distilled water in the humidifier only. I let the humidifier tub soak in 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts distiller water once weekly. I use the soclean 2 product daily and it gives me a place to store my mask during the day. I wash my nasal mask out daily and air dry it before it goes into the so clean. Someone mentioned a dryer unit I looked at that I might get.
Post Reply Post Reply
Only just started using a flow machine but I daily only soap up my hands with a cake of decent soap and then use the suds to under a tap on my pillow (P10). I then let it dry during the day as I cycle two pillows. I simply dump out my water in the humidifier daily and refill in the evening. I am not too fussed but I certainly am not keen to do a stronger approach or any anti-bacterial soaps. I also don't do anything with the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.