Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Repair existing machine or buy new?
Repair existing machine or buy new?
I posted about a noise in my pap machine IN THIS THREAD.

The noise is subtle, but my bedroom-house location is so serene with perfectly quiet silence, except for an occasional occurrence of the coyote pack howls,which in a strange way is rather relaxing when it happens...  no matter how subtle the machine noise is, it will wake me and is rather disconcerting.

The machine is almost exactly 3 years old with 9750 hours which seems close to 1000 more than it should have... DME provider assured me is was brand new when delivered to me.  The 2 year warranty is expired.

I inquired about getting it serviced to resolve the noise which started happening about 2 weeks ago.  I was told that there would be a $150 diagnosis fee and then parts above that if needed.  I did not ask if additional labor would be assessed as I was kinda' shocked by the cost.    Geez,  my IT guy for my office computers charges less per hour than that!!!

As the title states, should I go for a repair or just put that money towards a new machine?   I know a machine is much more than the repair cost, but if this current machine is predisposed to problems is it more prudent to get new?  I have not checked if insurance will pay for another (or even repair costs for that matter) but it still might be cheaper for me to buy outright.  I will look into that.

If insurance does not cover another, what is your opinion on buy vs. repair.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Repair existing machine or buy new...?
You probably know this but here goes...If this were myself, I'd compare full repair price VS full new/slightly used from either insurance purchase or self purchase. Repairing what you have could be fine, it mainly depends on the overall cost. It's not like a new unit can get you a newer machine series. But your current unit does have nearly 10,000 hours. Maybe the repair negates the hours issue though.

I'd check to see where you are on insurance assist for a new device. And search for new or slightly used. Place these 3 price possibles on the table. The 3 choices I see are: repair current, shop new or slightly used you buy, or insurance assist in new device. Then decide what works best for budget and getting you the best, most reliable solution.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can ask to buy new blower, Motherboard is probably fine. new blower should be around $300 and not have any smell besides mild factory plastic smell. You can also get a motor from china, $250 but used, search ebay for 232933385604 , its the item number.
Post Reply Post Reply
The likely repair is a "pneumatic block" or blower. I would call Supplier #27 for an estimate, then if that is not acceptable, either buy from Supplier #33 or ask for insurance coverage for a new one. Some insurance companies do require the DME to extend the warranty to 3-years, and they will cover repair costs or replace a malfunctioning unit. I think you should discuss your coverage directly with the insurer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2019, 11:14 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The likely repair is a "pneumatic block" or blower.  I would call Supplier #27 for an estimate, then if that is not acceptable, either buy from Supplier #33 or ask for insurance coverage for a new one.   Some insurance companies do require the DME to extend the warranty to 3-years, and they will cover repair costs or replace a malfunctioning unit.  I think you should discuss your coverage directly with the insurer.

You mean Supplier 33 sells motors?
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #33 sells new and used machines at very good prices. The repair facility ACBio is Supplier #27 and may sell parts, but certainly will give you a fair price for repair.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] resmed apap repair sleeper2460 4 512 11-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,128 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 594 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,581 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  Resmed BiPAP repair company in U.S? 17WRX 3 709 05-13-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Airfit P10 Repair JJJ 3 1,280 10-28-2022, 03:35 PM
Last Post: JungleJim
  Do it yourself REPAIR forum AC Hunter 1 917 09-14-2022, 09:28 PM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.