Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie question on exhale
Newbie question on exhale
When trying to get to sleep using my full face mask I sometimes get a "jolt" of air at the end of an exhale. It is very annoying and keeps me from getting to sleep. Is it me or a defective machine that causes this? I do not have this problem when using my nasal mask but can't use the nasal mask when I have nasal congestion.

This is my first week using a Cpap machine.

Any help/insight is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie question on exhale
Are you using the EPR option? The F&P has a flapper valve on the hose connection that can create an oscillation after exhaling from a deep breath. It closed during the exhale cycle to prevent CO2 from entering the hose. As you near the end of an exhale your pressure is starting to balance with the supply pressure, then drops. There can be a latency from when the exhale pressure drops and the machine/flapper valve "wakes up".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My EPR was set at 1 and I turned it off. That didn't seem to make any difference. The momentary "jolt" I feel would be something like you described - the flapper waking up - could a tiny bit of moisture make the flapper stick once in a while? Maybe I have a mask problem....
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's inherit to the design. I had the same problem and it kept waking me up. I finally went to another mask and the problem was solved.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WantToSleep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a different mask to see if that gets rid of your problem.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Much success as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sgearhart - what full face mask did you go to?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper so I ultimately went with the P10 nasal pillows and a chinstrap. Now I can sound like Darth Vader and look like Hannibal Lector!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I wish I could do that but sometimes I can't breathe through the nose. I will just have to try another ffm and hope I pick the right one.....
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2014, 04:55 PM)WantToSleep Wrote: Oh, I wish I could do that but sometimes I can't breathe through the nose. I will just have to try another ffm and hope I pick the right one.....

All ffm s have an anti-asphyxia valve. The ones that i have seen are flapper valves. With my Mirage Quattro, when the pressure is very low, the flapper valve can open and close as I am breathing. I get that if I have turned my machine off, done something and returned, then put my mask on. For the time that I have the mask on before I get the machine turned on the valve will open and close and I can feel it in the airstream as a little"jolt". Other mask types (other than ffm) do not have the anti-asphyxia valve.

The answer could be to increase your ramp start pressure a little if you are using ramp. If no ramp, increase your minimum pressure. If none of these is doable try breathing a little easier while waiting for sleep.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2014, 04:55 PM)WantToSleep Wrote: Oh, I wish I could do that but sometimes I can't breathe through the nose. I will just have to try another ffm and hope I pick the right one.....

You might surprise yourself with a pillows mask.

I am the poster child for "can't breath through my nose.." I never in recent memory could breath through my nose and get enough air to keep going. Maybe it's the emphysema, or maybe it's my always stuffy nose, I don't know I just know that starting in this process I, as so many others, was absolutely sure I couldn't use a pillows mask.

Until I did.

Not only could I breath through my nose at night, but in time I have developed the ability/habit of breathing through my nose most of the time. That's been a good thing, actually.

But I always kept a full face around for when I had a bad cold, because as we all know there is no way you could possibly breath through your nose if you have a bad cold. That's what I believed. Until this week.

Not only can I breath with the pillows mask, it actually helps keep my sinuses open and drained. I'm on "day 3" of my really bad cold and I have very little symptoms even during the day.

So yes, you're right, just as I was right, and I suspect so many others........... "There's just no way with my stuffy nose I could use a pillows mask." At least, not until we do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 131 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 212 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 194 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 518 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 217 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 310 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 282 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.