Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie question - what card reader?
Newbie question - what card reader?
Hello,

I just joined today. I've been using an S9 Escape for 6 years but lately I've been feeling pretty lousy. So I want to understand what's going on myself before I go in for another sleep study. My AHI was 55/hr before CPAP. I've never took the time to get involved with it since I was feeling good with a pressure of 6 cm. So now I'm going to download Sleepyhead and see what's going on. Does anyone have a preference for a card reader? 

Thanks, this is a great resource.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie question - what card reader?
G'day rodeking. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Any card reader that takes an ordinary SD card will do, if there's not already one built into your computer. However #SleepyHead won't give you much (if any) useful information from your Escape. That machine is what we disparagingly refer to as a "brick" because it is unable to produce useful data. You might be able to read the AHI from the front panel of the machine, but I'm not sure if it can even do that.

As your machine is over 5 years old, you are probably entitled to a new one - check with your insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed escape will not provide any useful information it is a brick, it only records usage infirmation, how long your machine was on each night and at what pressure for compliancy. I would not waste my money on an SD card but look at getting an new Resmed Autoset machine with full data capabilities
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, thanks, I guess I don't have to worry about that. The thing has been reliable as a "brick" though. Too-funny Close to 17000 hrs. I may look into a used A10 Auto, they seem to be the hot setup. I know it has the ability to send the data to a phone, if I want to download into my laptop then I still need a card reader, right?. I don't have a smart phone, don't want one. I see the ones that look like a thumb drive that you plug the card into, that seems the simplest.
Post Reply Post Reply
A10 doesn't have an option to send data to your phone. I believe only the airmini has an app but it looked like the data you get is not any better than MyAir. Also A10s you get today won't come with an SD card but you can purchase one for it. If you go that route, I would just get a FlashAir card to save you the trouble of pulling the SD card out of your machine each morning.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
The card reader I bought years ago is a Transcend USB 3.0 SDHC/SDXC/microSDHC/SDXC Card Reader, TS-RDF5K.
It works but if you use it on the front of your PC it sticks out a bit. The reader is susceptible to being hit if your computer is under your desk. If you have to use the front USB jack, maybe get a short USB extension cable.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, thanks. I didn't even know a flashair card existed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a note, many card readers ignore the lock (write protect) tab on the SD card.
Some Windows computers will write to the SD card automatically when inserted, which can mess up the SD for your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2018, 09:24 AM)ycsi Wrote: Just a note, many card readers ignore the lock (write protect) tab on the SD card.
Some Windows computers will write to the SD card automatically when inserted, which can mess up the SD for your machine.

That was certainly the case with some of the older Resmed S9 models, but the current A10 series don't have that problem. Still, it's always a good precaution to lock the card just in case.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2018, 09:17 AM)rodeking Wrote: Great, thanks. I didn't even know a flashair card existed.

You might want to have a look at all the threads in the software forum to get a feel for how to use the flashair card and the supporting software. There seem to be an awful lot of "I can't get this to work" type threads.... I've personally never found the card too heavy to carry to the computer and back - and they're not even on the same floor. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen reader Leaf4life 4 467 09-06-2023, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Leaf4life
Question Newbie to CPAP but going to use OSCAR Jimmy Lotus 4 701 08-31-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question Oscar Newbie looking for help weldon123 6 1,010 08-24-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Nehpets
  Oscar newbie here needtobreath 2 431 08-23-2023, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar cannot read SD card and SD card cannot be read by PC BlueSky1958 1 629 08-21-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar cannot read card - card cannot be read by PC BlueSky1958 3 537 08-21-2023, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Import to OSCAR from EncorePro2 or EncoreBasic or INFINEER smartcard reader. KeepSmiling 3 484 09-13-2022, 12:36 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.