Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A newbie, my first night, and all these numbers...
RE: A newbie, my first night, and all these numbers...
Here's an update for me...

I've been using the Wisp ever since I started therapy 5 weeks ago. But I've come to realize recently that I am having some mouth leaks...some nights I'll wake up 4 or 5 times with a painfully dry mouth and throat, while other nights only once or twice. I don't think I've had a night in two or three weeks now without having this issue, so...

I went to the DME and got a chin strap. Tried it last night for the first time. Not sure it worked as intended, but I am aware that any change or new equipment like this takes time to get adjusted properly.

I also picked up nasal pillows to try. While I do find the Wisp comfortable, I was still having leaks (I'm still very much in the dark about the numbers in my SleepyHead data and what my target range should be...so any help in that regard would be appreciated). MY first night with the pillows was not bad at all...my AHI is still under 1.0 (my average since beginning therapy is 1.16) and my leaks went down. I found that it was easier to sleep on my side and not have issues with the pillows like I did with the nasal mask...moving, etc. I will try another size of pillows tonight and compare...I'll also put the hose through the loop at the top of the headgear to keep it out of my way (when I did that with the Wisp, my numbers settled down even more).

So...I'm trying to get my leaks down...any help appreciated. I'm at a very good AHI and I am feeling better during the day now. Just trying to fine tune so I can hopefully start to sleep all night without frequently waking up...moving the mask/pillows, mouth leaks, etc...

My charts showing the AHI and Leaks are attached...
Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart is a bit out of date, or your system is simply carrying an incorrect date.

But at <1 ahi you're doing fine.. Go ahead and continue to refine your leak rates as you get used to your new chinstrap and mask, but other than just getting more and more comfortable with your stuff, you're doing great!

The thing about the chinstrap is it should just be a gentle reminder to keep your jaw where it belongs and your mouth more or less shut. So don't over tighten it. Once everything is in proper place, your tongue will actually seal your airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2014, 07:25 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Your chart is a bit out of date, or your system is simply carrying an incorrect date.

Not sure what you are seeing, but the chart shows the last 35 days, and the last recorded data was from last night.

There is a highlighted area in pink at the bottom showing leaks from April 30...that's just where my mouse was when I took the screen cap. But the chart is indeed current.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2014, 08:35 PM)BamaSteve Wrote:
(05-25-2014, 07:25 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Your chart is a bit out of date, or your system is simply carrying an incorrect date.

Not sure what you are seeing, but the chart shows the last 35 days, and the last recorded data was from last night.

There is a highlighted area in pink at the bottom showing leaks from April 30...that's just where my mouse was when I took the screen cap. But the chart is indeed current.

Oh yeah, I was looking at it crooked. Looks better with my glasses on.

Post Reply Post Reply
More likely retired_guy was looking at it underwater, since he is on the Oregon coast.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 381 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.