First, thank you for putting together this forum. It's full of some fantastic information and lots of support. It's so helpful to know you're not alone and/or going crazy.
Second, please hang with me as I give you a little of my history and ask some questions.
- About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea due to my weight. The doctor prescribed a CPAP machine for me and it really helped me with losing weight. As a result, I didn't need a CPAP machine anymore.
- After two kids, the weight issues are back and so is my sleep apnea. I did a sleep study 3-4 years ago to get a mouthpiece to move my jaw forward so my airway wouldn't get blocked.
- I don't have the exact results, but I remember the doctor told me I was waking an average of 90 times a night, which put me in the mild sleep apnea category.
- My weight is at its highest and I can't seem to lose it - no matter how well I eat or how much I work out. I'm also not dreaming, I'm exhausted all day, and I fall asleep in the early afternoon. This happens even at work, which has never happened before.
Today I bought a ResMed S8 Elite II on Craigs List. I have a ResMed Swift FX Nasal Pillow on the way in the next few days. Here are my questions:
- Since I have an APAP machine, do I actually need to set the pressure for it, or will it adjust automatically when I wear it?
- If I do need to set the pressure, about what level should I set it at if I'm waking 90 times a night?
- Can I still wear my mouthpiece that helps move my jaw forward?
Thank you for your help!