Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie questions
Newbie questions
Hi all!

First, thank you for putting together this forum. It's full of some fantastic information and lots of support. It's so helpful to know you're not alone and/or going crazy. Smile

Second, please hang with me as I give you a little of my history and ask some questions.
  • About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea due to my weight. The doctor prescribed a CPAP machine for me and it really helped me with losing weight. As a result, I didn't need a CPAP machine anymore.
  • After two kids, the weight issues are back and so is my sleep apnea. I did a sleep study 3-4 years ago to get a mouthpiece to move my jaw forward so my airway wouldn't get blocked.
  • I don't have the exact results, but I remember the doctor told me I was waking an average of 90 times a night, which put me in the mild sleep apnea category.
  • My weight is at its highest and I can't seem to lose it - no matter how well I eat or how much I work out. I'm also not dreaming, I'm exhausted all day, and I fall asleep in the early afternoon. This happens even at work, which has never happened before.

Today I bought a ResMed S8 Elite II on Craigs List. I have a ResMed Swift FX Nasal Pillow on the way in the next few days. Here are my questions:
  1. Since I have an APAP machine, do I actually need to set the pressure for it, or will it adjust automatically when I wear it?
  2. If I do need to set the pressure, about what level should I set it at if I'm waking 90 times a night?
  3. Can I still wear my mouthpiece that helps move my jaw forward?

Thank you for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie questions
Welcome jland, many women put on weight during pregnacy which often result in SA, to answer your questions an Elite is not an Auto CPAP and only has a fixed pressure, if you got an Resmed Autoset you could set high and low pressures and it would auto adjust to what is required.
I wouldn't like to suggest a set pressure with an AHI that high, you would just be guessing, my suggestion would be to get a proper sleep study done again and find out what pressure setting you really need. It is expensive but well worth it. You want to make sure you do the right thing for yourself and you family Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jland,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you remember what your pressure was when you had your last sleep study?
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2014, 05:34 PM)jland Wrote: About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea due to my weight. The doctor prescribed a CPAP machine for me and it really helped me with losing weight. As a result, I didn't need a CPAP machine anymore.

Do you know, or can you find out, at what pressure that CPAP machine was set? Your best bet is to start with that pressure and monitor your progress using SleepyHead software.

Quote:I don't have the exact results, but I remember the doctor told me I was waking an average of 90 times a night, which put me in the mild sleep apnea category.

Mild is 5-15, moderate is 15-30. Anything above that is severe.

Quote:Can I still wear my mouthpiece that helps move my jaw forward?

You would have to experiment with that and see.

The S8 is an old machine. I suggest you keep that machine as a back up, and try to find a S9 Autoset on craigslist. Or go through your doctor's office, spend an lot on a $leep $tudy, and get a prescription for a S9 Autoset, or better yet, a VPAP Auto.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
jland said she was told she stopped breathing 90 in a night so if divided by hours slept to get AHI?

You could pick a starting point and watch results to find pressure but you need to do your home work. Good luck with whatever you do. You gotta start somewhere and maybe you can make it work, if not work towards a sleep test.

Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, yeah. 90 times a night, for say a 9-hour night, would be 10 events per hour. Anywhere between 5 events per hour and 15 events per hour is considered mild sleep apnea.

Keep in mind that these terms are used by medical researchers to classify their studies. Even mild sleep apnea can cause severe symptoms in some people. Excessive daytime sleepiness, insomnia, anxiety, high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. As well as a poor quality of life.

In the past this is something that people just had to put up with unless it was severe enough to warrant a tracheotomy. We are fortunate to live in a time when CPAP therapy is available. It's truly a miracle!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.