Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie questions - Apex XT Auto
Newbie questions - Apex XT Auto
I have been using a Resmed S9 Auto for about 5+ years, and I travel around the world a lot. The Dept of Veterans Affairs bought the S9 for me. The S9 is still working but it's been thru the lost baggage dept at the airlines to many times. the S9 has about 6000 hours on it.

So, I purchased an APEX XT Auto mostly for travel until I get back to the USA (I live Thailand).
I don't really understand about the Auto feature which is on both the S9, and The Apex Auto.
Do I need to do anything to the XT Auto to set it up or just use it in Auto mode?
My pressure on the old S9 is 9.
the old Resmed S9 was set up by the Dept of Veterans Affairs, and I never messed withany of the settings, and I don't use the humidifier... The VA sleep clinic would 'calibrate it , or check it every now and then.

The XT can run in Auto mode or Cpap mode. The default is Auto mode.
Do I need to do anything, to set it up if I just use the XT in Auto mode. I tried to buy a machine that would do everything.

Let me know what you think I should do,.... Auto mode or Cpap mode???

PS. the little Apex XT auto is cute and very small. Perfect for travel (I hope).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie questions - Apex XT Auto
G'day Larry. Welcome to Apnea Board.

I've split out your post into its own thread so that it will get individual attention.

The auto feature on these machines allows them to adjust pressure as needed, within defined limits. This allows you to run at a lower average pressure, but the machine will increase pressure as required depending on factors such as how many apneas and hypopneas you're getting and how many precursors such as snoring and flow limitations. On this board we generally recommend running in auto mode, though some members prefer a straight pressure (which you have been using).

Your Apex probably came from the factory "wide open", running a minimum pressure of 4 and a maximum of 20. This is not the best way to go, as 4 is too low for most people and 20 is way too high. It's better to identify a fairly tight range and let the machine work within that range.

My question at this point is "How do you know your therapy is working?" Do you know what sort of AHI (apnea hypopnea index) you were getting with the S9, and did you get refreshing sleep? If you had low AHIs and your sleep was refreshing, then set the Apex to Cpap mode at the same pressure as your S9. If your AHIs were above 5 on a regular basis, or you didn't wake refreshed, then an adjustment is needed. Download #SleepyHead software and use it to review your progress. The amount of detail will blow your mind away, but it will also allow us to make a more considered recommendation for you.

By the way - I wouldn't trust my machine to checked baggage. Carry it on board with you - in most countries it's allowed as a personal medical device in addition to your hand luggage.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 391 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.