Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie questions, and too much effort to breathe?
RE: Newbie questions, and too much effort to breathe?
You're just exhausted because you aren't using paragraphs. Grin

Welcome to our board.

Quite a few people report feeling tired or sleeping a lot after starting CPAP. You may not be sleeping well as you adapt to CPAP.

Even if you're sleeping well, some people experience "sleep debt." The experts say there's no such thing, but a lot of people report something that sounds like it. You "catch up" on sleep for a while and then you feel better later.

I think it may be "apnea withdrawal." A lot of things happen when you have apnea. Your O2 goes down, your CO2 goes up, which changes your blood chemistry. You have stress hormones from being strangled in your sleep. You don't get deep sleep and that screws up the "balance" of your body. Your body makes a lot of chemical, physical, and neurological adjustments to all these things. When you stop having apnea, your body is still pumping out chemicals trying to adjust to strangulation, stress and oxygen deprivation. Your brain and nervous system are still trying to compensate. You may be "off balance" for a while. It's sort of like what happens if you quit drinking, smoking, or even taking some prescription drugs.

Apnea withdrawal is my theory. I haven't published any peer reviewed studies or received my Nobel prize yet.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a viable theory to me. And one I agree with completely.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Archangle, I like the sound of this theory. Could you please tell me how long you think it could go on for, this Apnea withdrawal?
Thanks
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(unused muscles I think) but is it normal to feel really tired after using the cpap?

You should feel pretty good. Your machine might need adjusting.

Straps are not too tight and I am deciding between the small and the medium nasal pillows, but what can I do so the bottom of my nostril doesn't feel so sore?

It might be too tight. It only needs to be tight enough to not leak. There are also a bunch of different masks, you could try a different nasal pillow mask.

Also noticed my left eyelid seemed a lot droopier than I remembered--is that normal or did I get air in it?

If it's still droopy after a shower, you should call your doctor.

The water chamber holds 13oz--does it have to be filled all the way each night, or would 10oz or 8oz be enough?

Nobody knows. It depends on how much your machine actually uses.

I'm thinking of having a bottled water by the bed or if needed for travel.

For the machine, it has to be distilled water, not just bottled. For you, it can be whatever you like.

What would happen if I went somewhere and did not take the cpap with me for sleeping?

Anything from "feel tired" to "dead." It really depends on how bad your apnea is. I won't even take a nap without my machine. It's not worth it to wake up and feel awful.

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
Can you elaborate please on why it has to be distilled water?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 07:42 AM)Skypilot Wrote: Can you elaborate please on why it has to be distilled water?

The humidifier requires distilled water because it works by evaporating water into the air you breathe. If the water isn't distilled, it will build up minerals inside the water chamber and eventually make it work poorly, and need to be replaced.

Also, if distilled water gets inside of your machine, and you manage to dry it up, it will probably be OK. If non-distilled water gets inside, there's very little chance it will be OK.

There's probably a warning in your machine's manual about only using distilled water.

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 08:13 AM)tcarmen Wrote: Also, if distilled water gets inside of your machine, and you manage to dry it up, it will probably be OK. If non-distilled water gets inside, there's very little chance it will be OK.

oh, good point, distilled water doesn't conduct electricity... it's only the contaminants in it that make it do so.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2014, 10:04 PM)archangle Wrote: You're just exhausted because you aren't using paragraphs. Grin

Welcome to our board.

Quite a few people report feeling tired or sleeping a lot after starting CPAP. You may not be sleeping well as you adapt to CPAP.

Even if you're sleeping well, some people experience "sleep debt." The experts say there's no such thing, but a lot of people report something that sounds like it. You "catch up" on sleep for a while and then you feel better later.

I think it may be "apnea withdrawal." A lot of things happen when you have apnea. Your O2 goes down, your CO2 goes up, which changes your blood chemistry. You have stress hormones from being strangled in your sleep. You don't get deep sleep and that screws up the "balance" of your body. Your body makes a lot of chemical, physical, and neurological adjustments to all these things. When you stop having apnea, your body is still pumping out chemicals trying to adjust to strangulation, stress and oxygen deprivation. Your brain and nervous system are still trying to compensate. You may be "off balance" for a while. It's sort of like what happens if you quit drinking, smoking, or even taking some prescription drugs.

Apnea withdrawal is my theory. I haven't published any peer reviewed studies or received my Nobel prize yet.

Check with SuperSleeper. He may have some of those Nobel prize thingies hanging around. He seems to have a storehouse of goodies to hand out: T shirts, hats, coffee, donuts, popcorn and I do not remember what all else. Dielaughing

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you have more of Central Apnea as noted by Zonk above. I also have central apnea and I have a VPAP Adapt machine. I'm not real familiar with all the machines, but am wondering if your Autoset is the one you should really have?? Just throwing that out there. I was also very sleepy the first whole week really. Still have it at times as well. I think it just takes time for our bodies to adjust. Especially Central Apnea patients. I like Archangle's theory just fine! I also think to myself that since we have been deprived of sleep for so long that now our bodies are craving it. That's my theory anyway!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 08:13 AM)tcarmen Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 07:42 AM)Skypilot Wrote: Can you elaborate please on why it has to be distilled water?

The humidifier requires distilled water because it works by evaporating water into the air you breathe. If the water isn't distilled, it will build up minerals inside the water chamber and eventually make it work poorly, and need to be replaced.

Also, if distilled water gets inside of your machine, and you manage to dry it up, it will probably be OK. If non-distilled water gets inside, there's very little chance it will be OK.

There's probably a warning in your machine's manual about only using distilled water.

Terry

I would have thought that the minerals would not build up if you wash out the container after each use? The minerals that are left in the water will be washed away. I wash my tank each day and let it dry so as not to allow any nasties to grow. (and it can be put through the dishwasher)

Water in the machine - I suppose there is a very small chance that happening but I cannot see how and then it would only be in the air flow path?

I do not think that is much of a persuasive argument for me to use distilled water..... but each to their own?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 384 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.