Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie questions, and too much effort to breathe?
RE: Newbie questions, and too much effort to breathe?
(06-27-2014, 07:42 AM)Skypilot Wrote: Can you elaborate please on why it has to be distilled water?
I use tap water, been boiled and cooled
Distilled water is not available in my local shops. Even using using distilled water, one have to dump the leftover water after each use and make sure everything squeaky clean. Water is hot topic here, prepare for the onslaught Too-funny
ResMed, the manufacturer recommended distilled water with the standard tank but they say okay not to use distilled water with the cleanable tub
as the cleanable tank can be opened for cleaning

That was in the days when the standard tank came in one piece and cannot be opened for cleaning
(there is youtube video shows how to pierce it open)
Now the standard tank can be opened just like the cleanable tank but comes in two pieces and aluminum bottom as oppose to the cleanable tank 3 pieces abd stainless steel bottom

My tank consist of the bottom of the cleanable tank and the top of the standard tank ... filled with Sydney water ... god bless Sydney water board Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 05:56 PM)Skypilot Wrote: I do not think that is much of a persuasive argument for me to use distilled water..... but each to their own?

Anybody is free to use whatever they want. I will, however mention that in the past, machines have burned up and the cause was found to be residue buildup on the PC board from non-distilled water leakage

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cd...id=2059662

I have no axe to grind here and was just answering a question. If people want to use something besides distilled, it's fine with me.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Reverse Osmosis filtered water. If I didn't have that, I'd use distilled water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(I have not yet learned how to edit posts.......)
I am referring to the resmed stainless steel tank that comes apart.

I had a look at the tank and really you have to turn it upside down and around and up and down and side ways etc. to get the water anywhere near the air path of the resmed.....

(pfftttt Sydney water..... no where as good as Canberra clean mountain water from the Cotter River and beyond.....lol!)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 05:56 PM)Skypilot Wrote: Water in the machine - I suppose there is a very small chance that happening but I cannot see how and then it would only be in the air flow path?

for what *little* it's worth, the resmed S9 series blower motors are *in* the air path, air gets sucked in one end, blown over the motor and out the other end.

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks to all of you for your responses, and especially enlightening me on how the body responds with the "bathroom calls" in the middle of the night. It is really nice not to have to get up, and I don't even hear the 3am train whistle anymore. My husband says I haven't snored once since starting the machine. This morning I awoke with such an odd sensation I don't remember ever feeling. My body felt rested and my mind felt "awake" and I felt like I could just get up and do something without having to sit with coffee for several hours just to feel ready to function.

I am also a person who has ADHD, and even though I am now a senior citizen, the half-awake brain is something I always have had to deal with. I liken it to functioning with a 75watt bulb when everyone else has 100watts. My career was working with people with developmental disabilities, including those with ADHD and Autism, all of which run in my family along with the allergies and asthma and environmental issues we have here. Now I am wondering if any research has been done to see if ADHD can be helped with cpap and oxygen therapies. It takes us awhile to get going but once we have that caffeine kick in, it takes longer to stop. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

As to the pillows, I think the medium size is more comfortable, but I did notice a bit of leaking last night. I will try the "bag balm" for my nose. And that first day I was so tired, I just took everything off and nose dived into the pillow for extra snooze. I typically slept on my stomach but so much was to find a position so my lower back (old injury) wouldn't hurt. Now I have the head of the bed elevated and use about 3 pillows for supports, but I am even able to sleep on my back now and hardly turn at all!

I appreciate all the techno tips for reading my machine. My humidity level is at 2 which seems to take very little water but we are in an awfully humid area here in the Midwest and the rep said the machine adjusts to what is in the air. Lots of water left in the tank. Droopy eyelid is gone.

I'm going to take a look again at my reports, but I was shocked when it said I woke up about every two minutes. I've been online researching some of the readings and also about the cheyne-stokes syndrome. Sometimes I just don't feel like making the effort to breathe--it's weird, but I do move around a lot during the day. I volunteer at a theater, do gardening, care for the dogs, shopping/lifting/carrying/housework--lots of moving around, just not "exercise".

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. It's nice to know we are not alone in this issue and very reassuring to hear what others' have to say.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 07:30 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 05:56 PM)Skypilot Wrote: Water in the machine - I suppose there is a very small chance that happening but I cannot see how and then it would only be in the air flow path?

for what *little* it's worth, the resmed S9 series blower motors are *in* the air path, air gets sucked in one end, blown over the motor and out the other end.

Yes it does and I would bet that all of them do but the air goes through the blower before humidification. That is an interesting observation though. I haven't done the calcs yet but I wonder if with a 3 meter small diameter hose and a mask with a small vent area one could not push humidified air back through the blower during exhalation especially at the beginning of exhalation and would that give moisture access to the electronics? Interesting!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 07:53 PM)Rosanne Wrote: I've been online researching some of the readings and also about the cheyne-stokes syndrome.

as long as it doesn't look like [Image: drWZCTf.png] you're probably ok Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have anything with the graphs on it. Reviewing my original sleep study in April and the followup done in June with the mask doesn't seem to indicate any cheyne-stokes but in April it said I had 185 arousals and in June it was 42. April said I had 51 respiratory arousals, 56 were PLM, 78 were spontaneous with no apparent cause (other then the wires???) 18 awakenings, and 91 total stage transitions. 180 plms which woke me 56 times. Oxygen 94.3 awake and 93.3 asleep but dipped to 82 for 3 minutes. Heart rate was as high as 98 bpm but averaged 71.9bmp while asleep. Initial study said I had 11 apneas and 2 central apneas, with 47 hypopneas.. Those are the bad ones, right? there were 29 RERAs.

I had been severely limiting my caffeine, but my restlessness is probably due to pain/inflammation/etc.

When I had the mask on the for the followup study I had 42 arousals, none were respiratory but 5 were plm, 37 no apparent cause, 12 awakenings, 53 total stage transitions, 196 plms, oxygen averaged 95.7 but dipped to 85 for.1minute. Heartbeat got up to 110 but averaged 71bpm. I had no apneas but 2 hypopneas, mostly when on my right side.

I don't smoke, and it said I should check for thyroid. It looks like the cpap did help, but if my issues are more hypopnea related, what does that mean? I've had weird dreams that I'm drowning and some "other" wakes me up in my dream and tells me to go back before it's too late. I used to have dreams where I fall and hit and wake up holding my breath. So I guess I could die in my sleep....?

I know you aren't doctors and not giving medical advice, but any comments, thoughts, or advice is still welcome. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 07:53 PM)Rosanne Wrote: Now I am wondering if any research has been done to see if ADHD can be helped with cpap and oxygen therapies. It takes us awhile to get going but once we have that caffeine kick in, it takes longer to stop. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Treating obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) with CPAP therapy is relatively new. Now that we have it, my hope is there will be more research into its effects on mental health issues.

The sleep deprivation associated with OSA has significant effects on all kinds of mental functions such as cognition and anxiety.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 162 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 395 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.