Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie questions, and too much effort to breathe?
RE: Newbie questions, and too much effort to breathe?
Thank you everyone. If using paragraphs will make me sleep better....LOL!!!

I like my nasal pillows as well as anything and after going back an forth all week find the medium size work best. My nose isn't as sore. My eyelid is not droopy now. And it was such a strange feeling to wake up the other day and feel like both my head and my body were awake and ready to go. So unlike the wake up in a fog and hope the coffee will hit, and maybe feel like getting dressed sometime before the end of the day. Of course being retired lets you set your own time limits, which is why I started volunteering recently so I have to be up and somewhere by a certain time. I have no discipline.....

I am still trying to find answers on this board, but mostly what I'm finding is how to adjust your settings, and what I'm searching for is interpreting what the numbers mean. So far I get the AHI but what does all this mean? It was the same as yesterday. And how do I check for last week's readings, or do I only get to see the previous night? ResMeds9autoset.

SW Sx474-1203
Bid Sx525-0300
Vid -1
RID 100
HID Sx496-0212

Last night it showed I used it for 9.3 hours and my AHI was 4.4 my pressure is at 6 and EPR level is 2 (what's that?)

I am not a math person but if someone could explain what the abbreviations stand for and what it means, I would appreciate it. That S could also be a 5--not sure if I read that right. I get the smiley face and all.

Thanks guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2014, 04:38 PM)Rosanne Wrote: SW Sx474-1203
Bid Sx525-0300
Vid -1
RID 100
HID Sx496-0212
those are the hardware/software revision numbers for the machine, they won't change Smile

to find the most information on the screen, hold down the info and setup buttons for a few seconds, and you'll get into the extended info screen. here's a blog post robysue wrote about that data:

http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...s-lcd.html

(06-30-2014, 04:38 PM)Rosanne Wrote: Last night it showed I used it for 9.3 hours and my AHI was 4.4 my pressure is at 6 and EPR level is 2 (what's that?)

I am not a math person but if someone could explain what the abbreviations stand for and what it means, I would appreciate it. That S could also be a 5--not sure if I read that right. I get the smiley face and all.

smiley face is good, it means your mask isn't leaking too badly.

the answer to what all the abbreviations are can be found in the wiki in much more detail than I can type in here.. .without reproducing the wiki Smile just open it up and type 'ahi' or 'epr', etc.

if you want to see lots of data, download the sleepyhead software people are talking about, and load the info from the sd card that's in the back of the autoset into your computer... you'll get nice charts and graphs and stuff!
Post Reply Post Reply
SW : Displays the current software version.
BID : Displays the boot loader ID.
VID : Displays the variant ID.
RID : Displays the regional variant ID.
HID : Displays the humidifier software ID.
[only displayed when H5i connected]

The first two numbers of serial number denote country of manufacture
22 Australia - 23 Singapore
3rd and 4th numbers denote year of manufacture

[Image: s9-pic2.jpg]
S9 setup pictures and video http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap setup

All explained in the clinical manual, available via Email (section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Last night it showed I used it for 9.3 hours and my AHI was 4.4 my pressure is at 6 and EPR level is 2 (what's that?)

AHI below 5 considered good, the lower is the better
AH and apnea definition, scroll to glossary
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ow_eng.pdf

Your machine set to deliver pressure 6 all night long except during Ramp period
EPR 2 drop pressure at exhale by 2, so during exhale pressure drop to 4, some people find EPR assisting with problem exhaling against pressure and aerophagia (air swallowing - results in burping, discomfort, and flatulence), not everyone experience these symptoms

Smiley face indicate good mask fit - during the night, 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/min

See post #3 for SleepyHead and Resscan software download links
Resscan only works with windows, SH works with both windows and Mac plus Linux

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2014, 04:38 PM)Rosanne Wrote: I am not a math person but if someone could explain what the abbreviations stand for and what it means, I would appreciate it.

Most of it is stuff you don't need to worry about. Especially now. You can figure it all out later if you want, but for now there are three numbers you need to look at, in order of importance.

1. Hours used. Use the machine every time you sleep, all the time you're asleep.

2. Leak rate. Keep your leak rate under 24 L/min. Get ResScan and look at the leak graph. Watch for spikes that indicate a loose mask or chin strap.

3. AHI. Keep it under 5.

That's it. You can worry about the other stuff later. Enjoy the time you have when you're awake. That's the only reason for using a CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much. This is what I've been looking for. The little booklet that came with it doesn't explain much and whatever the technition told me didn't get fully understood, so it's been trial and error on punching buttons and turning knobs. Then when numbers did come up I had no clue. I found the video on this site which explained a bit more, but I need things I can hold in my hand and look at. I don't want to do any reprograming the machine at this point and not ready to try reading my own using sleepyhead or rescan until I am much more comfortable with all this. Baby steps....
Starting week two. Can't say I'm thrilled being a hose head, but it does beat the alternatives. Sweet dreams!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2014, 10:05 PM)Rosanne Wrote: Can't say I'm thrilled being a hose head, but it does beat the alternatives.

That's it!

The alternative is a miserable sleep-deprived life that ends early from a heart attack or stroke.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2014, 11:36 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-30-2014, 10:05 PM)Rosanne Wrote: Can't say I'm thrilled being a hose head, but it does beat the alternatives.

That's it!

The alternative is a miserable sleep-deprived life that ends early from a heart attack or stroke.

Hang in there! Better days are ahead! Keep us posted on your progress.Grouphug3
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 09:20 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 07:53 PM)Rosanne Wrote: Now I am wondering if any research has been done to see if ADHD can be helped with cpap and oxygen therapies. It takes us awhile to get going but once we have that caffeine kick in, it takes longer to stop. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Treating obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) with CPAP therapy is relatively new. Now that we have it, my hope is there will be more research into its effects on mental health issues.

The sleep deprivation associated with OSA has significant effects on all kinds of mental functions such as cognition and anxiety.

I've had many patients that have had their "crazy" meds (trying to be funny) decreased or even eliminated after being on CPAP for awhile.

REM deprivation is a wonderful tool (if you are at GITMO trying to interogate terrorists).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 09:37 AM)diamaunt Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 08:13 AM)tcarmen Wrote: Also, if distilled water gets inside of your machine, and you manage to dry it up, it will probably be OK. If non-distilled water gets inside, there's very little chance it will be OK.

oh, good point, distilled water doesn't conduct electricity... it's only the contaminants in it that make it do so.

::blinkblink:: What??? where in the world would you get that information???Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
that is SOOOO weird, the things you dont learn in school!!! welp, if you dont keep learning as you age you may as well be dead, so thanks for keeping me from being dead Smile (yes in between comments i looked it up, verified you were right, amazing heh.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 146 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.