Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie questions please help
Newbie questions please help
I have finally started my months trial on a Cpap machine and would love some advise if you can.

I have been put on a Resmed S9 Autoset and after trying 6 different masks i ended up with a F&P simplus full face, all was ok after a few adjustments to stop a small leak heading off to sleep about 11:30pm.

I will say i sleep with ear plugs all the time.

I woke at about 5am for some reason and noticed i had leak on my cheek area, because i had the ear plugs in i could not hear it so i am unsure how long i was leaking.
At this point i could not rectify it so i removed the mask and damn it could not get back to sleep at all but the wife told me i did not snore at all during the night, which is totally amazing as i have been know to bring wild bore into a camp site with my snoring Smile

I have also been given a F&P Eson nasal mask to try but i have a problem with nasal congestion that i have been using spray tish daily fro about 18 years to clear a blocked nose.

What do you guys do for a blocked nose using a nasal mask?

i found the info on the S9 auto set and was wondering if you can decipher for me.
Sleep Report
Days 1
Avr Usage 5.2hrs
Used Hrs 5.2Hrs

Sleep Quality
Usage 0.0Hrs
Mask Fit smiley face
AHI --

The mask was set to nasal but it was a full face mask, would this explain the 0:0 under sleep quality?

Any tips or advise will be very very much appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie questions please help
Great news about the snoring - stopping that is a good sign you are getting some good therapy as well.

They gave you a good machine with heaps of good features.

Seems you waited too long to look at the displayed data and missed your AHI, thats what the - - means , it should be a number preferable less than 5. Mine does that too, downright annoying
Get the software so you can read your full stats, not just the nightly summary - will give you heaps more information, like what type of apneas you are getting - matters in deciding how to tune your therapy.

I get sinus issues all the time but control them with saline sinus washes - and a spray. this lets me breathe through my nose so i can used the nasal pillows - which I absolutely love. They also seem to help my sinuses. I do also have a nasal mask, and a full face mask (nose and mouth) for when I lose the battle. not as comfortable for me but heaps better than no therapy.

Masks are a very personal thing and you need to try them with the machine on, lying down, to really know if they will work. The nasal pillows do not flare out properly without the pressure and you feel like you have noseplugs stuffed up your nostrils, but once pressured up they are amazingly comfortable. Look through the threads on masks and you will see what I mean, but you must learn how to tune their adjustments - that can turn a painful leaking nightmare into a comfortable snug nights sleep. Practice in front of the mirror with it for a while - search for the mask in youtube as there are fitting videos for most masks there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKFaX5NTUDM

Welcome to life on the hose - stick with it as its definitely worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2013, 03:39 AM)alby_c Wrote: Welcome to life on the hose - stick with it as its definitely worth it.

Alby thanks heaps for you response, i will check that thread out right now.

With my nigths reading where it said Sleep quality usage 0:0m is this saying i really go no good sleep? there fore my therapy?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2013, 04:41 AM)glenncol Wrote: [quote='alby_c' pid='45337' dateline='1379752757']

With my nigths reading where it said Sleep quality usage 0:0m is this saying i really go no good sleep? there fore my therapy?

Did you look at the sleep quality after noon (12PM)? If you did, that is why you couldn't see it b/c it resets at noon.

you can download ResScan and/or Sleepyhead software and look at your data. If you need to know where to find it (on the forum), let me know and I will find it and post the link for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi glenncol,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might change the mask setting to the "Full-face" setting , so you get a more accurate reading..
Best of luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2013, 08:46 AM)me50 Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 04:41 AM)glenncol Wrote: [quote='alby_c' pid='45337' dateline='1379752757']

Did you look at the sleep quality after noon (12PM)? If you did, that is why you couldn't see it b/c it resets at noon.

you can download ResScan and/or Sleepyhead software and look at your data. If you need to know where to find it (on the forum), let me know and I will find it and post the link for you.
Hi Me50, yes it was after 12pm which explains it

I checked i again this morning and got 7.8 hrs under sleep quality and 4.2 AHI.

I down loded sleepyhead, i need a log into get he Resmed software which i dont have

(09-21-2013, 09:26 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi glenncol,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might change the mask setting to the "Full-face" setting , so you get a more accurate reading..

Hi Trish

Thank you for the welcome, its great to be here

I changed the setting we are all set now
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are a member here (which you are since you are posting!) you don't need to "log in" again.

Go here and follow the directions:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2013, 08:43 PM)glenncol Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 08:46 AM)me50 Wrote:

I down loded sleepyhead, i need a log into get he Resmed software which i dont have

WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hi Trish

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only
Post Reply Post Reply
It also takes about 2 weeks , more or less, for your body to adjust to pressurised air being pushed into your lungs.
Do not get to concerned about the first few nights beyond adjusting the mask to fit better, and be more comfortable.

Certainly get the software - there are threads in the stickies on how to do that. It will help you understand whats happeing a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2013, 08:56 PM)me50 Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 08:43 PM)glenncol Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 08:46 AM)me50 Wrote: Did you look at the sleep quality after noon (12PM)? If you did, that is why you couldn't see it b/c it resets at noon.

WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hi Trish

Your the best thank you

(09-21-2013, 08:56 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you are a member here (which you are since you are posting!) you don't need to "log in" again.

Go here and follow the directions:

Thanks heaps
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 384 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.