Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie's CPAP story so far...
Newbie's CPAP story so far...
Hi all. I've been a CPAPper for a couple of years. Was diagnosed with mild OSA, but have tried to stay compliant w/cpap in hopes of improving poor, anxious, bad dream-filled sleep and to alleviate continual AM headaches that impair my ability to function. I recently switched to a nifty new autopap machine w/all the bells n whistles. Have used for a few days. Was hoping for some improvement but have had none yet. Still wake up with awful headache. Maybe it's too early? I'm looking at my stats for the first few nights. My AHI numbers are "normal." Frustrating! I might think I don't have apnea, but my lady friend says I have notably disturbed sleep breathing. Ideas?[/size][/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie's CPAP story so far...
My understanding is that the onboard computer for Respironics REMStar AutoCPAP 60
does not track data. I don't believe it will let you know what kind of events you are having, and won't give any hints as to pressure profile you have thru the night. Can you confirm that the model is a DS220 or DS260? {disconnect the humidifier and look at the bottom of the CPAP blower unit.}

AHI under 5 is a good point to be at. How is your AHI?

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi brocktoon,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone. Had sleep problems for many years blamed on nocturnal asthma, I have had asthma for 20+ years, I am 60 years old. Diagnosed with mild sleep apnoea earlier this year. Got my loan machine Resmes S9 Autoset on 27/7/15 and have just completed 32 days averaging over 8.35 hours per night . I gave it my best shot, I was diagnosed with exhaustion and was feeling suicidal and dreading going to bed every night. Thanks so much for Sleepyhead I could really understand what is going on every night. My worst night was AHI of 14.2 and last night was AHI of 0.3. AHI has been dropping slowly over the time and I am feeling so much better. Had a few hitches with cold air, got hose covers and a sore nose, jury's out on that one, have tried mask liner and CPAP cream, will see what the Sleep Clinic says. All in all a great improvement, will see what the Sleep Clinic does next week... Just hang on in there peeps, it's worth it!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new here, just 15 days into using my machine. I'm compliant, over 8 hrs. Of sleep a night this entire time. I just downloaded and installed Sleepyhead a few days ago. I am also looking at the MyAir website daily. I've enjoyed this forum so much, and learned so much! Just tonight found out about the clinicians setting to see AHI. As an aside, on the clinician screen and on MyAir my report for last night were both the same, just dumbed down on MyAir being called events. I can't make heads or tails out of Sleepyhead, but will try.

My biggest misunderstanding (confusion) comes understanding data like this: I have a horrible night, up and down multiple times, wake feeling like a truck ran me down, yawning, exhausted, etc. and the AHI is 2.1. Then on a different night, I sleep like the dead, no potty trips, wake up feeling good comparatively and my AHI is 3.3. What is the logic here?

I know my numbers are still low, but I'm confused!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2015, 08:14 PM)Nananeedssleep Wrote: I'm new here, just 15 days into using my machine. I'm compliant, over 8 hrs. Of sleep a night this entire time. I just downloaded and installed Sleepyhead a few days ago. I am also looking at the MyAir website daily. I've enjoyed this forum so much, and learned so much! Just tonight found out about the clinicians setting to see AHI. As an aside, on the clinician screen and on MyAir my report for last night were both the same, just dumbed down on MyAir being called events. I can't make heads or tails out of Sleepyhead, but will try.

My biggest misunderstanding (confusion) comes understanding data like this: I have a horrible night, up and down multiple times, wake feeling like a truck ran me down, yawning, exhausted, etc. and the AHI is 2.1. Then on a different night, I sleep like the dead, no potty trips, wake up feeling good comparatively and my AHI is 3.3. What is the logic here?

I know my numbers are still low, but I'm confused!

Hi nana -- I have woken up after some of my worst nights, to see the big yellow Smiley face that SleepyHead shows you when you have an AHI of 0.0! And my numbers often go up a bit after some pretty good nights. My take on this "phenomenon" is that on the crappy nights I didn't get enough time in deep sleep so not as much opportunity for apnea events to occur.Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully after I'm more familiar with Sleepyhead, I will be able to interpret someon this myself. Never to old to learn new tricks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,820 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.