Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie's used unit arrived. Need some advice.
RE: Newbie's used unit arrived. Need some advice.
I did clean the other equipment, just rinsed the hose. I'll redo that today so it's ready for tomorrow night (titration is tonight). Hopefully, it was a just a one time thing with that odor. It looks like that at some point my mask was dislodged (I'm using Wisp nose pillows). Does the machine include the mask leak data when calculating everything else?

Here's my first night's result. My original AHI was 8 (Supine AHI 12 and REM AHI 34.1)

[Image: x4ess4.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Mosquie, those numbers look great.

You need to use the machine all night every night, as I'm sure you know. But look what happened to your OA's. It's like they popped up for awhile and finally said "to heck with it, let's just go away."

Don't worry about the large leak around midnight. It was just pillow positioning, and it didn't seem to have any effect on your therapy.

I expect you will see the CA's drop off by themselves too. Once you begin a regimine, they tend to get kind of bored and go away.

So keep up the good work; no changes tonight other than using the machine all night.

As to the odor? Stuff sneaking in the back of the machine can be magnified in intensity. So pay attention to where you're pointing that thing at night. Maybe encourage doggie to sleep somewhere else, like on Mr. Mosquie's side. Maybe encourage Mr. Mosquie to sleep somewhere else.

You're doing great!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just want to add, you can basically subtract the CA from the total AHI. It won't respond to pressure and many times is inconsequential, and may just reflect a normal arousal. So a real AHI of 1.28 is outstanding!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2015, 12:31 PM)retired_guy Wrote: So keep up the good work; no changes tonight other than using the machine all night.

As to the odor? Stuff sneaking in the back of the machine can be magnified in intensity. So pay attention to where you're pointing that thing at night. Maybe encourage doggie to sleep somewhere else, like on Mr. Mosquie's side. Maybe encourage Mr. Mosquie to sleep somewhere else.

You're doing great!

Thanks Thanks for the warm fuzzies. As to the odor, it almost smelled like something burning. I seem to recall reading about that before - something about the Climateline and a coating on the wires. Thinking-about Anyway, I washed it again with the vinegar and water so it's ready for tomorrow. As to the pets, the two cats were hell bent on laying on the darn hose. No idea why, but they settled down after about 1/2 hour and went to sleep on the end of the bed where they normally go. Maybe it was just new. That machine is incredibly quiet. Couldn't hear it at all!

Hopefully things will improve when I can use it the whole night. I have another pounding headache, but not nearly as bad as it was yesterday, so obviously some therapied sleep was better than none.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of my cats used to head butt me at night until I started wearing the mask. I guess the air coming out turns him away.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on taking action to make your life better! I did the same - bought a used machine and never looked back. Wish I had done so years ago.
Do no be surprised if after the 'honeymoon' you have a sort of a relapse. Just ride with it. People here explained the brain is adapting and might take a while to settle in to this new idea of breathing regularly.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Odor I noticed really didn't have a name. Wherever I went, for the first 2 or 3 minutes after waking, I smelled it. sort of like it was a burnt-in/dried-in impression to my olfactory glands. After about 2 weeks it sort of did not happen anymore. I kind of think is was a heightened sensitivity driven by the extra volume of clear air going through my nose.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just thought I'd report that the mask leaks were way less last night. I still don't feel refreshed, but did not get a serious headache nor need to have a nap. Still had to lay down awhile due to dizziness. My sinuses sure felt clear! No odor either. Maybe it was just mold release not quite cleared out. I am waiting for a slimline hose to come. I don't need the heated Climateline hose, at least until the air conditioning goes on in July. I keep turning the temp down on the humidifier, so why put wear on the more expensive tubing until I need it?

Finding a drawer for all the related stuff is challenging. Preferably not one the cat can open!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you're making great progress Mosquie. The "refreshed" thing is probably overrated, since you're doing the no headache and no particular need for a nap --- and the clear sinuses. I never have used the climateline hose. Got a slimline when they gave me the machine, and never really saw any compelling reason to ask them for the other one. Might someday, just to see what it's all about. But the little slimlines do fine. Best to keep them under the covers with you if you can. It can feel a little weird though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Things are going pretty good. Yesterday I was not only headache free, but free of dizziness and not so exhausted. Still needed a nap about 3:30 (didn't sleep). I've been using the medium pillows for the Wisp and my nose got kindof sore the night before, so I thought I would try the small pillows last night. Lots of leaks even though there were no apparent leaks while I was awake. The leaks all occurred at the time that the apneas started up, so higher pressure going on. I will give them one more shot tonight before switching back because I initially had this problem with the mediums as well. My overall leak rate is quite low, but it doesn't really help my cause if they are all occurring when the pressure is most needed.

edited: added current data. Note that I expanded the graphs to exclude my nap which didn't show anything anyway. I'm tempted to bump up the minimum pressure just a bit. I'm hesitant though because I'm concerned that if my lower pressure is too high all night long, it will raise the pressure in my eye and I cannot afford to lose any more vision.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,524 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 515 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 724 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.