Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie saying hello
Rainbow 
Newbie saying hello
Hi everyone,

I woke up choking in June and I am waiting for my sleep study on Nov. 1. I sleep for 8-10 hours at night and need a nap in the afternoon. When I wake up, I feel almost hungover - like I haven't even slept at all. Chronically exhausted...I can't even work.

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea about 7 years ago and didn't follow up on it due to a death in my family.

I'm sleep deprived, very depressed and I am having great problems functioning. I was hoping to connect with others on this forum because I am feeling very alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie saying hello
Hi linn and welcome to the forum

Good luck with the sleep study on Nov 1
keep us posted of how it goes
Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi linn,
You've come to the right place, your certainly not alone.

It's good that you have a sleep study scheduled, but in the meantime, try to sleep on your side, not on back if possible. It also helps to sleep slightly elevated.

Check back with us after your sleep study, and in the meantime there is a lot to learn. Start checking out the different machines available. Knowledge is everything. DME's are famous for trying to stick you with what we call a "brick". You will need a fully data capable machine.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2015, 07:28 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi linn,
You've come to the right place, your certainly not alone.

It's good that you have a sleep study scheduled, but in the meantime, try to sleep on your side, not on back if possible. It also helps to sleep slightly elevated.

Check back with us after your sleep study, and in the meantime there is a lot to learn. Start checking out the different machines available. Knowledge is everything. DME's are famous for trying to stick you with what we call a "brick". You will need a fully data capable machine.

Thanks everyone. I always sleep on my side - I can't breathe when I sleep on my back. I really hope that I can adapt to the CPAP - I'm hoping it will save my life.

(09-27-2015, 07:23 AM)zonk Wrote: Hi linn and welcome to the forum

Good luck with the sleep study on Nov 1
keep us posted of how it goes
Cheers

Thanks Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi linn,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You are not alone in this.
Check out this link: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices .
There is lots of great information to help you with machines to avoid and which ones are good machines to get with data-capability so you can see and know what is going on as you sleep.
Much success to you with your sleep study, and as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2015, 08:39 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi linn,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You are not alone in this.
Check out this link:
There is lots of great information to help you with machines to avoid and which ones are good machines to get with data-capability so you can see and know what is going on as you sleep.
Much success to you with your sleep study, and as you start your CPAP journey.

Thanks Trish Smile I am on disability, so I will have to take whatever machine they give me. I have been trying to get back to work, but I have really bad fatigue and depression - it's been going on for years. I can't seem to get any refreshing sleep and I don't know why.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi linn
Welcome to the forum. You have certainly come to the right place!

While you're waiting for your appointment November 1st make sure you read as much as you can as you will learn a lot as I am doing. When it is time for you to buy your machine, after your loaner machine period, make sure you get a fully data cable machine. That way you can take the SD card out of the machine and track your own progress as you will find the health care system lacking here in Canada. You can download the software on this forum. It is called 'Sleepyhead'.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2015, 03:26 PM)cate1898 Wrote: Hi linn
Welcome to the forum. You have certainly come to the right place!

While you're waiting for your appointment November 1st make sure you read as much as you can as you will learn a lot as I am doing. When it is time for you to buy your machine, after your loaner machine period, make sure you get a fully data cable machine. That way you can take the SD card out of the machine and track your own progress as you will find the health care system lacking here in Canada. You can download the software on this forum. It is called 'Sleepyhead'.

Thank you Cate Smile Is it better to get a nasal mask or a full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2015, 08:51 AM)linn Wrote: I can't seem to get any refreshing sleep and I don't know why.

Hi linn,

Even mild sleep apnea can wreck your sleep. And since you already know you have sleep apnea there's no mystery here. I wonder too if your apnea has gotten worse since your initial diagnosis (it often does over time), or if it was never actually mild to begin with -- it's not unusual that a sleep study underestimates the severity of apnea. People are not sleeping in their normal sleep environment and may not sleep as deeply, or as long....

While you may not have a choice of machine, it never hurts to advocate for yourself and request a machine with full data (not just hours of use) capability. Without treatment data it can be very difficult to get therapy dialed in correctly -- even your doctor cannot get any treatment data from "brick" machines that only record the number of hours used so there's no way to evaluate your treatment.

I'm sorry you have to wait so long for your sleep study. Sad But stick around. There's lots to learn and you are not alone. Many of us (me included) have been where you are and we're happy to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2015, 04:14 PM)kaiasgram Wrote:
(09-27-2015, 08:51 AM)linn Wrote: I can't seem to get any refreshing sleep and I don't know why.

Hi linn,

Even mild sleep apnea can wreck your sleep. And since you already know you have sleep apnea there's no mystery here. I wonder too if your apnea has gotten worse since your initial diagnosis (it often does over time), or if it was never actually mild to begin with -- it's not unusual that a sleep study underestimates the severity of apnea. People are not sleeping in their normal sleep environment and may not sleep as deeply, or as long....

While you may not have a choice of machine, it never hurts to advocate for yourself and request a machine with full data (not just hours of use) capability. Without treatment data it can be very difficult to get therapy dialed in correctly -- even your doctor cannot get any treatment data from "brick" machines that only record the number of hours used so there's no way to evaluate your treatment.

I'm sorry you have to wait so long for your sleep study. Sad But stick around. There's lots to learn and you are not alone. Many of us (me included) have been where you are and we're happy to help.
Wow - the people on this forum are SO kind Smile
My doctor at the time told me not to worry about the apnea - since it was mild. I have gained about 25lbs since then so I imagine that it is worse now. I literally feel disabled - I can barely function. The mornings are worse than the evenings and the depression is horrific.

I will try to get a machine with data -- hopefully, the CPAP will include that. If not, I will try to advocate for myself.

Thanks for your kind words...I really appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 187 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 284 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 264 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.