Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie saying hello
RE: Newbie saying hello
I am certainly not the most experienced around here-that's an understatement!! However, if you are a mouth breather, you may need a FFM (full face mask) or could possibly be helped instead with using a chin strap.

The nasal pillows are the least invasive and a lot of people seem to like them. I myself passed on the opportunity to try the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillows and opted for the ResMed AirFit Swift FX as it has one more strap and I felt it could stay on my head more securely. Not sure that this is true, but I am relatively happy with the Swift FX. Now I really want to try the P10's and wish I hadn't passed up the opportunity to try them while I have my loaner machine.

I have never tried a FFM, but felt claustrophobic using the nasal mask. I will stick to the nasal pillows but I am lucky not to be a mouth breather at night.

People will say it is quite an individual thing. Peoples faces are different shapes and sizes and you just have to find what is right for you.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2015, 06:32 PM)cate1898 Wrote: I am certainly not the most experienced around here-that's an understatement!! However, if you are a mouth breather, you may need a FFM (full face mask) or could possibly be helped instead with using a chin strap.

The nasal pillows are the least invasive and a lot of people seem to like them. I myself passed on the opportunity to try the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillows and opted for the ResMed AirFit Swift FX as it has one more strap and I felt it could stay on my head more securely. Not sure that this is true, but I am relatively happy with the Swift FX. Now I really want to try the P10's and wish I hadn't passed up the opportunity to try them while I have my loaner machine.

I have never tried a FFM, but felt claustrophobic using the nasal mask. I will stick to the nasal pillows but I am lucky not to be a mouth breather at night.

People will say it is quite an individual thing. Peoples faces are different shapes and sizes and you just have to find what is right for you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Good News...I have gotten in early for a sleep study on October 5th :-)

Woke up short of breath last night - so this is very good news.

Look forward to getting CPAP tips - I'm really hoping this machine will help me to feel better - I hear that it's really difficult to get used to it.

Thanks for all the support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Linn,

Welcome

I have been on CPAP since '12 and it will save your life.
I'd be dead by now if I hadn't acted in it.
Work with the folks here and you'll get a good education on how to tune your machine up
to get the best therapy you can.
(Stuff the doctors and DME wont be able to show you)

Just hang in there and never quit!

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2015, 12:50 PM)linn Wrote: Good News...I have gotten in early for a sleep study on October 5th :-)

Look forward to getting CPAP tips - I'm really hoping this machine will help me to feel better - I hear that it's really difficult to get used to it.

linn,
It's not so much the machine that is hard to get used to. If it is set correctly, you will do just fine. The hardest part is finding the right mask. Try starting out with a nasal pillow mask. It's very minimalistic, and usually easiest to adapt to. If you are a mouth breather, you will need a chin strap.

Let us know how your sleep test goes.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
(09-29-2015, 02:45 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Hi Linn,

Welcome

I have been on CPAP since '12 and it will save your life.
I'd be dead by now if I hadn't acted in it.
Work with the folks here and you'll get a good education on how to tune your machine up
to get the best therapy you can.
(Stuff the doctors and DME wont be able to show you)

Just hang in there and never quit!

Smile
Thank you...I feel like I am dying Nervous
4 more days until my sleep study...can't wait to start treatmentThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2015, 08:20 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 12:50 PM)linn Wrote: Good News...I have gotten in early for a sleep study on October 5th :-)

linn,
It's not so much the machine that is hard to get used to. If it is set correctly, you will do just fine. The hardest part is finding the right mask. Try starting out with a nasal pillow mask. It's very minimalistic, and usually easiest to adapt to. If you are a mouth breather, you will need a chin strap.

Let us know how your sleep test goes.

Yes, I have heard good things about the nasal mask. I'm pretty sure that I am a nose breather...

Can barely function today - but I am feeling hopeful Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the air pressure of the CPAP similar to the air pressure of a hair dryer? I'm just curious about how strong the CPAP is. TIA :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2015, 10:45 AM)linn Wrote: Is the air pressure of the CPAP similar to the air pressure of a hair dryer? I'm just curious about how strong the CPAP is. TIA :-)

linn, once you get used to it, you won't notice it at all.
I have read here that a high pressure of 20cm could not even blow up a balloon.

When you bring your CPAP home, try setting it up during the day while watching tv or reading. (Not in your bedroom). Put your mask on and try to use it a little at a time.

I did this when I started and was sitting in a recliner reading and before I knew it, an hour had passed.

If you move your machine, remember to empty water from humidifier first!

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2015, 11:54 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 10:45 AM)linn Wrote: Is the air pressure of the CPAP similar to the air pressure of a hair dryer? I'm just curious about how strong the CPAP is. TIA :-)

linn, once you get used to it, you won't notice it at all.
I have read here that a high pressure of 20cm could not even blow up a balloon.

When you bring your CPAP home, try setting it up during the day while watching tv or reading. (Not in your bedroom). Put your mask on and try to use it a little at a time.

I did this when I started and was sitting in a recliner reading and before I knew it, an hour had passed.

If you move your machine, remember to empty water from humidifier first!

Thanks Opal - I will try that.
I sleep best with a fan blowing air in my face - hopefully, this is a good sign that I will adapt to the CPAP.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 267 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.