Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie seeking CPAP tweak suggestions
Question 
Newbie seeking CPAP tweak suggestions
Hi All,

I've likely had OSA for years, but began CPAP therapy just four nights ago.  The first two nights my AHI was less than 1.  The last two, the index was 7+. The only adjustment made was to adjust the humidity.  I've been experiencing daily headaches, brain fog and fatigue for the last year.  These symptoms haven't abated since beginning CPAP.  I understand that change doesn't occur quickly for many, and some go more than a year before any relief comes.

Attached are graphs from last night.  If anyone has insight or general suggestions on how to tweak things to drive a better result, I'll be grateful.  At about the 2:12 minute mark, my mask slipped off briefly.  The total time in apnea was 5+ minutes; OA's seem to last 20-25 seconds, and most occurred during the last two hours of sleep.  

Tentative Plan:

Based on what I've read on this site, tonight I thought I'd change the ramp setting to "none."  

To mitigate the apneas and hypopneas, I thought I would bump up the CPAP a click and monitor that for several nights.  If that isn't effective, I'd increase the pressure at least until the average AHI is below 5.  But of course, I'm a complete layman when it comes to this, and welcome alternative thoughts from the many experts on this site.

Thank you,
Tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie seeking CPAP tweak suggestions
Your starting pressure is too low, and you probably feel air starved.  If it were me I would switch from cpap mode to apap mode, set your bottom pressure at 8 or 9, and set your top pressure at 20.  The machine won't go that high unless you need it.  I would also turn off the ramp.  It is set way too low, and you probably don't need it.

Others can tell you how to set up your OSCAR readings for us to see.  What we see now is not enough information to offer much more help.

Also, Welcome
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie seeking CPAP tweak suggestions
To go into Auto mode right now WILL drive your pressure to the max.  Why? Because your flow limitations are high and that alone will drive your pressures up to whatever max you set.

Try this tonight then repost the Standard charts
(View/reset graphics/Standard. These charts I clude events, flow rate, pressure, flow limits, and leaks.

Mode=Auto
Min Pressure=8
Max Pressure=12 just to limit an excursion to mx
EPR=3 Fulltime, this is key toanaging the flow limits 
Ramp=Off
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.