Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - seeking roadmap for Dx and Tx
RE: Newbie - seeking roadmap for Dx and Tx
I'm too new of a user to post links. Maybe this will work though.

dropbox.com/s/r5atak4s7jjwkbc/spO2.png?dl=0
[url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5atak4s7jjwkbc/spO2.png?dl=0][/url]
Post Reply Post Reply
You can attach your plots here rather than adding links
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Folks,

Checking back. It doesn't appear my O2 is a problem. However, I recorded myself, and I do snore.

Considering a consult with a sleep doc (just a consult!) prior to a sleep study will run several hundred $, I think it's worth trying an AutoPAP.

Question on models:
It looks like the Philips Respironics Dreamstation CPAP Pro and the Resmed AirCurve 10 are the best. However, even used they are expensive.

Would it be worth buying a very basic used model and trying that first? If so, what used, older model would folks recommend?

Other than it functioning effectively, I only require it be really quiet. I don't care if it's big or clumsy.

Alternately, do folks know if Second Wind and others will buy back units at a reasonable price?

Thanks,
Ben
Post Reply Post Reply
This article on the wiki here has essential advice about choosing a machine:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Machine_choices

Among the older & cheaper models, the Resmed S9 Autoset is probably the best.  With that one, you need to add the humidifier component (H5i) explicitly.  The newer Resmed Airsense 10 models include the humidifier as standard equipment.  The most important thing to take away from that article is that you have to specify the model name specifically when you're searching web sites and browsing craigslist and so on; for instance, just "S9" or "Airsense 10" isn't enough.  Otherwise you could end up with a brick (provides no data) or a fixed-pressure machine (no APAP, which you should have to help figure out your correct pressures when you're doing this on your own).

Edited to add:  Also good among the previous generations (either used or new-old-stock and presumably relatively inexpensive) are the Philips Respironics Remstar DS560TS and Remstar DS560HS.  Again, it's important to find out (through web research) and use the exact model numbers; just "Remstar" isn't specific enough, and the Respironics machines older than the 60 series are to be avoided.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2018, 09:25 PM)NightOwl42 Wrote: Would it be worth buying a very basic used model and trying that first?

Buying used is risky unless you're careful to check the machine's total run hours (also called "blower hours") before buying, and reject the thing if the hours are in the many-thousands. Of course it's much less risky (pretty much not at all) if you avoid craigslist & flea markets and buy from Supplier #2, which is super-reputable and sells a lot of "gently used" machines with low hours. To read the hours, usually you have to use the "clinician mode" menus, and you can find out how to do that by requesting the "clinician's manual" for the machine using the "CPAP Setup Manuals" link at the top of the web pages here.

The idea of getting a "very basic model" might seem sensible at first, but I'm sorry to say that actually it's not. You need APAP, not just fixed-pressure, and you need full sleep-data reporting so you can ask for help here by posting your Sleepyhead charts. Right away that puts the machine in the front rank of the lowest tier (CPAP/APAP) models: the Airsense 10 Autoset, S9 Autoset, Dreamstation Auto, DS560, and so on. Those machines also have the highest resale value (assuming low run hours), compared to the very basic models with no data, no APAP, or both.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Fats Drywaller:

Thanks! Will do more research.
Post Reply Post Reply
More useful stuff is here at:  Wiki: Tips for new CPAP users

Also:  Wiki: Archangle:Links

That second page includes this tidbit:
Quote:Miscellaneous Info:
Non-Resettable Hours:

These are the hour counters that can’t be reset to zero.

Resmed S9:  "Run Hours" can’t be reset.  "Used Hours" can be reset.  Both are available by pushing the info button and scrolling with the knob.

Resmed Airsense 10:  Similar to S9.  Menu access may be slightly different.

Philips Respironics System 1: "Machine Hours" can’t be reset.  "Therapy" and "Blower" hours can be reset.  Go into provider menu, select "info."

So if you're looking at a particular used machine to buy locally, it's good to be prepared with the magic key combination to get to the right menu and read the run-hours number to see just how used the thing is.  With the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (which is the most-recommended machine, really the one to go for if possible), you hold down the knob and the Home button together for a few seconds to get to the Clinical menu, then click (press the knob) on "Settings", turn the knob to scroll all the way down to "About" at the bottom of the menu, click on that, and you'll see "Run Hours" displayed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ben,

SecondWind is a reputable company to deal with. However, you will require a prescription to make a purchase with them.

There are distributors on Amazon that sell auto CPAP machines and they usually are the latest generation of machines which are full data recording. And they don't require a prescription in most cases.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2018, 08:35 PM)JesseLee Wrote: SecondWind is a reputable company to deal with. However, you will require a prescription to make a purchase with them.

Oh yeah, that's right.  Sorry, I was forgetting.  <facepalm>

(06-01-2018, 08:35 PM)JesseLee Wrote: There are distributors on Amazon that sell auto CPAP machines and they usually are the latest generation of machines which are full data recording. And they don't require a prescription in most cases.

True.  I sometimes overlook that, because the availability of the top brands on Amazon seems to go in cycles: sometimes available, other times not, at least when you do a general search rather than looking at a particular seller's storefront. (Speaking of which, Sistemma has been recommended as reputable with good customer service. Don't know whether it asks for Rx.)  At the moment, the Autoset 10 and Autoset 10 for Her are both available (new) from 3rd-party sellers, but not at killer prices.  No Dreamstation, at least not from a general search.  Some masks, yes: P10, Dreamwear, Brevida, Nuance Pro, probably others. Anyone with deep pockets can do one-stop shopping there and have everything within a few days.

Has the era of bargain prices on new CPAP machines via Amazon ended? I've read some old posts here in which people mentioned buying a new A10 on Amazon for around $500.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2018, 05:41 AM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(06-01-2018, 08:35 PM)JesseLee Wrote: SecondWind is a reputable company to deal with. However, you will require a prescription to make a purchase with them.

Oh yeah, that's right.  Sorry, I was forgetting.  <facepalm>

(06-01-2018, 08:35 PM)JesseLee Wrote: There are distributors on Amazon that sell auto CPAP machines and they usually are the latest generation of machines which are full data recording. And they don't require a prescription in most cases.

True.  I sometimes overlook that, because the availability of the top brands on Amazon seems to go in cycles: sometimes available, other times not, at least when you do a general search rather than looking at a particular seller's storefront.  (Speaking of which, Sistemma has been recommended as reputable with good customer service.  Don't know whether it asks for Rx.)  At the moment, the Autoset 10 and Autoset 10 for Her are both available (new) from 3rd-party sellers, but not at killer prices.  No Dreamstation, at least not from a general search.  Some masks, yes: P10, Dreamwear, Brevida, Nuance Pro, probably others.  Anyone with deep pockets can do one-stop shopping there and have everything within a few days.

Has the era of bargain prices on new CPAP machines via Amazon ended?  I've read some old posts here in which people mentioned buying a new A10 on Amazon for around $500.

I can't say that bargain prices have come to an end, I don't know how the distributors set their prices and if the price is based on any market situation. I just don't know sir Smile

I do know that paying out of pocket can get to 1000 bucks in a referral and consult before sleep study even gets possible. 1000 bucks gets a nice machine and supplies to get you setup and a spare hose and filters.

Edit: can probably get close to a year in supplies if got machine for 600
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 175 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 502 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 194 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 286 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 268 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.